• AVG
    • BitDefender
    • Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec (Corporate)
    • Windows OneCare
    • Other (please tell me/us which!)

I agree with andsome - plus the fact there is plenty of information available on the google web to help newbies make a choice.

My preference is unlikely to sway anybody - so I for one will not be voting.

Well I did vote and mine went to AVG free, it is still one of the best free antivirus programmes.

I just wonder if andsome, pops or alanho had put this poll on, would there have been derogatery remarks about it being a waste of time, i doubt it.

Well I did vote and mine went to AVG free, it is still one of the best free antivirus programmes.

I just wonder if andsome, pops or alanho had put this poll on, would there have been derogatery remarks about it being a waste of time, i doubt it.

You have obviously missed some of the mind boggling threads that he has started or contributed to. This is in all probability on several other forums too. This particular subject has been discussed many times, some very recently, and Panicky joined in more than one thread. We also had thread after thread all asking the same questions about building a computer. One was eventually closed by the staff. These particular threads were also on several other forums. He is a time waster.

Here is one thread

Here is another

Here is another

Yet another

Another

Even other one

Yet another Panicky waste of time. This is hardly a topic for a poll. Nothing anyone on here says will make a pennyworth of difference to the performances of each program.

'bout as valid as 26,000 plus posts of Victor Meldrew impersonations .......methinks

AVG for me too .....urph ...what alan with the numbers sez ........... innit !

I will go with AVG free too as I have dealt with others and find it the easiest, and I agree with Alan2273 this will be a guide to the people that come to this site and trust us. I also agree with the rest of his post.

I will admit that I am influenced by the way helpful people on this forum were treated by panarchy - including myself - during his marathon computer build threads. You will recall that he asked numerous questions which could have been solved if he had simply studied the comprehensive component manuals in his possession. I tried to help by downloading the ASUS motherboard manual, studied it in relation to his questions and scanned various pages which I posted here to try and help. It took me several hours - but it was time wasted because he just ignored it and kept asking the same questions regardless.

I happen to be a fan of AVG but can see no point in participating in a poll where we are unlikely to get many people responding compared with the wealth of information about malware programmes posted on this forum and elsewhere - which is far more meaningful.

I respect your opinion and don't deny that panarchy has every right to post here - however, I also claim the right not to participate in what I see as a sterile poll.

My opinion about the validity of a similar poll here would be the same - whoever raised the thread. The only difference would be the fact that I would not comment if other respected members started such a thread - I would simply not participate.

Hello!

Decided an anti-virus poll was need, so here's one!

I'm voting NOD32, but don't let that sway you from your own opinion!

Chose what you want! (what you think is good)

Anyways, please vote!

Panarchy

B)

The internet is full of information on professional testing results of various ant-virus programs.

Opinions offered here on what they like are just that........opinions. B)

I agree :(

Why must they be so mean?

Yet another Panicky waste of time. This is hardly a topic for a poll. Nothing anyone on here says will make a pennyworth of difference to the performances of each program.

'bout as valid as 26,000 plus posts of Victor Meldrew impersonations .......methinks

AVG for me too .....urph ...what alan with the numbers sez ........... innit !

Hahaha... I agree! I mean really, over 26000 posts?!?

I will go with AVG free too as I have dealt with others and find it the easiest, and I agree with Alan2273 this will be a guide to the people that come to this site and trust us. I also agree with the rest of his post.

Thanks

andsome, I did not miss any of panarchy's posts (or sagas), but he is a member of the forum and as such should be treated with respect regardless of what your opinion of him is.

I agree

Hello!

Decided an anti-virus poll was need, so here's one!

I'm voting NOD32, but don't let that sway you from your own opinion!

Chose what you want! (what you think is good)

Anyways, please vote!

Panarchy

B)

The internet is full of information on professional testing results of various ant-virus programs.

Opinions offered here on what they like are just that........opinions. B)

B)

Too true!

The whole point of my original comment regarding this topic is that it is hardly a suitable topic for a poll. I don't think that any of us on here has the facilities to do tests and select the best. The question was 'The best Anti Virus of 2008'. As I say, no one on here can do more than comment on what they prefer, and for what reasons. This opinion will not make any one of them the best. As DW said, there is already loads of information on the internet. One of the best independent websites for this sort of information is the Virus forum. You have to register, and then you can see the results of independent tests over the last few years on a wide selection of programs. The ones which come out consistently well are Nod 32 and Bit defender. One which is a favourite of many on here for their own reasons is AVG, but it has not performed anywhere near the top over the years. Personal opinions DO NOT make the popular choice the best, hence my comments. A better question would have been, 'What is your favourite AV program, and what are the reasons for your personal choice'?

Avast! on access scanner is the winner I would say, I wrote a 3 page essay on why I liked it for college.

Woh... 3 pages? XD

(then again, wrote 1 page today for my 'college' [post-secondary education])

:lol:

well ...Ive been on here fer christ knows ...and Ive never heard of nod 32

It's a good one, give it a shot (30 or 90 day trial)

Hi all!

I think you should add BitDefender to the list.

Alright, but since not people are paticipating, just click Other (or admin/mod can add it, if it doesn't wipe out old poll choices)

Well you didnt specify free editions or paid for.

ansome uses Nod and it has good reviews but you buy it. :D

I used AVG free and in 2006 got a bad infection of virus's and taking someone's advice from this forum tried AVast free which found them and since then never let in any nasties.

so I voted Avast.

Also have tried Norton's - expensive and slows you down.

Trend - no thank you - cost around $100 and took 28 mins to update.

Also just tried McAfee on this new computer came bundled, but it never updated, and had activated so quick smart got Avast - and breathed a sigh of relief. :beach:

Well you didnt specify free editions or paid for.

ansome uses Nod and it has good reviews but you buy it. :D

I used AVG free and in 2006 got a bad infection of virus's and taking someone's advice from this forum tried AVast free which found them and since then never let in any nasties.

so I voted Avast.

Also have tried Norton's - expensive and slows you down.

Trend - no thank you - cost around $100 and took 28 mins to update.

Also just tried McAfee on this new computer came bundled, but it never updated, and had activated so quick smart got Avast - and breathed a sigh of relief. :beach:

The point that I have been trying to make is that this is a nonsense subject for a poll. The question was what is the best AV of 2008. No one on the forum as far as I am aware is qualified to judge this. There is plenty of information on Google regarding the best, from subjective testing done independently. A more sensible question would have been 'what is your personal preference for ease of use in AV programs'. You may as well ask,'What is the best flower in a garden'?