Best Zip Programme?

Jayno

I have never found any fault with Winzip. Although I must admit I have no idea how it would perform on XP or Vista.
Forgot to say I'm using XP

Jayno, if you right-click the folder you wish to compress, then touch "Send to" and then "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Bingo, you have a zipped file for free). :D

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm late on this one, but 7zip is the best IMHO.

http://www.7zip.org

If you like the look of WinZip you might want to check out jZip - http://www.jzip.com/

We created jZip for users who feel they want the same kind of compression capabilities offered by 7-zip but in an easier more streamlined user interface. We have spent significant time designing a sleek user interface that lets you to easily use the underlying compression engine.

Here's an article on Wikipedia about File Archivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_archivers

I have used WinZip since 1995, and I am still very happy with it. It took them ages to include other compression methods (e.g. RAR) into their program, but it is finally here, and I have just purchased the upgrade to WinZip 11.

P.S. while I think the WinZip program is great, I am less than thrilled with their support. I never, ever had a problem since I first installed WinZip 6.0, but a day after I downloaded the WinZip 11 upgrade, I found that 11.2 has been released. But I couldn't locate the download anywhere on their website, so I wrote to their support department. That was more than two weeks ago; no reply whatsoever! And that just a day after I spent almost $60 for an upgrade :angry:

But I couldn't locate the download anywhere on their website, so I wrote to their support department. That was more than two weeks ago; no reply whatsoever! And that just a day after I spent almost $60 for an upgrade :angry:

It seems to be here Pat Willener, obscurely hidden away. Maybe they think it's not worth using. Also it's unclear whether it's a new version, or just an update. Good luck, I think you'll need it! :flowers:

It seems to be here Pat Willener, obscurely hidden away. Maybe they think it's not worth using. Also it's unclear whether it's a new version, or just an update. Good luck, I think you'll need it! :flowers:

Thanks; I actually already found it myself, but that's no reason for Support not to respond at all! But thanks anyway :flowers:

Never had any problem with Windows Zip facility, but then I rarely need it. What is so much better about all these other programs? :D

I don't think that the average or home user needs anything else than what Windows provides. For the professional user, WinZip can achieve much higher compression, which can be essential for the transfer of very large files. It can also uncompress other formats such as RAR, Z, etc. Or it can create self-extracting archives in EXE files, and quite a lot more.

Thanks; I actually already found it myself, but that's no reason for Support not to respond at all! But thanks anyway :flowers:

Never had any problem with Windows Zip facility, but then I rarely need it. What is so much better about all these other programs? :D

I don't think that the average or home user needs anything else than what Windows provides. For the professional user, WinZip can achieve much higher compression, which can be essential for the transfer of very large files. It can also uncompress other formats such as RAR, Z, etc. Or it can create self-extracting archives in EXE files, and quite a lot more.

This exactly what I was thinking. Windows has NEVER failed to open a zip file on my computer, and I so very rarely need to send one, that it would be silly to clutter my computer with other zip programs. I would be very surprised if this did not apply to most on this forum. :D

• 11 months later...
I have never found any fault with Winzip. Although I must admit I have no idea how it would perform on XP or Vista.
Forgot to say I'm using XP

Jayno, if you right-click the folder you wish to compress, then touch "Send to" and then "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Bingo, you have a zipped file for free). :D

Hi, Irene, this sounds great, except that when I do that, it looks as if the file is compressed - it sits nicely in a zip folder - but its actual size is more or less the same. What to do? Thanks!

Hi, Irene, this sounds great, except that when I do that, it looks as if the file is compressed - it sits nicely in a zip folder - but its actual size is more or less the same. What to do? Thanks!

Some files are already compressed (e.g. jpeg files), and cannot compressed much more. Others, like text files, will achieve very high compression rates. What files are you talking about?

I usually use WinRar evaluation edition. It can compress and decompress files in different types of compress files. Thus, with the use of WinRar, you can make sure that you can open these files. Aside from that it compressed files faster compared to other Zip software I've ever used.