The surveillance society is here!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...nal-record.html

Householders who refuse to let council inspectors look into their rubbish bins could be fined up to £5,000 and earn a criminal record, The Sunday Telegraph has learned.

The Opposition claims that government guidelines encourage councils to fine households for minor breaches of rubbish rules, such as how much waste can be left out.

Obstructing such inspections risks a criminal record and a fine "not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale" – currently £5,000.

That's a mighty hefty fine just for not letting someone look in your dustbin :0

The Tories fear that while the 2000 Act was intended to apply to terrorist suspects, the powers could be seized on by council officials to inspect ordinary householders' bins.

As Labour go on about the threat of terrorism so much then perhaps they should get their own house in order and not leave top secret documents on trains!

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7455286.stm :censored:

p.s. I admire David Davies in his stand against the erosion of civil liberties and if I were living in his constituency I would probably vote for him!

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7455286.stm

I'm pleased that someone in Parliament shares my views on this matter and is doing something about it. I have long thought that I was a lone ranger on this subject.

There have been many suggestions that he has a different agenda disguised as the 42 day thingy.

I hope it is not so, because taken at face value he is doing a good thing. But....politicians are such slippery customers..... election promises (such as promising a referendum) are often meaningless when it comes to it.

I noticed last week that the dustmen were opening bins and looking at what was inside - even to the extent of slitting the plastic bags that the rubbish was in.

This seems to me a bit of an illogicality - they won't take rubbish that is not in a bin bag but then they slit the bags, releasing their contents before they take the rubbish away.

There have been many suggestions that he has a different agenda disguised as the 42 day thingy.

I hope it is not so, because taken at face value he is doing a good thing. But....politicians are such slippery customers..... election promises (such as promising a referendum) are often meaningless when it comes to it.

Yes I hope he is genuine but like you say politicians have such a bad reputation that you do wonder?

Maybe you'll soon have CCTV cameras installed to watch every dustbin to make sure you only put in "correct" rubbish? :0

I hope the expense of the CCTV cameras will put them off!

I noticed last week that the dustmen were opening bins and looking at what was inside - even to the extent of slitting the plastic bags that the rubbish was in.

They are just 'snooping' :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that there could be a "revolution" before long. Not just here but across Europe.

The EU seem to be trying to control "unauthorised" internet content (Blogs) via the back door (as is their way), because people are learning too much about the corruption and waste.

I have a feeling that there could be a "revolution" before long. Not just here but across Europe.

The EU seem to be trying to control "unauthorised" internet content (Blogs) via the back door (as is their way), because people are learning too much about the corruption and waste.

Agreed.

Talking of waste (101 billion pounds worth) :blink:

http://tpa.typepad.com/waste/2007/10/the-bumper-book.html

Things are now totally out of control with this VERY sorry bunch of idiots. I recently asked on here, where are the government supporters who have castigated me so much since this lot have been in power, because of my comments about what has been happening in this country. I ask again, where are you, and what have you to say in defence of this sorry bunch? :angry:

Maybe you'll soon have CCTV cameras installed to watch every dustbin to make sure you only put in "correct" rubbish? :0

CCTV+

They are just 'snooping' :rolleyes:

Snooping!

Talking of waste (101 billion pounds worth) :blink:

http://tpa.typepad.com/waste/2007/10/the-bumper-book.html

Room 101. :lol:

I've seen Room 101 a few times but don't see the connection :uhm:

= Big Brother is watching you. Get it?(George Orwell) :D

I can understand your "not getting it", Curly.

I read the book and had completely forgotten it until reading Gandalph's post. I had sometimes wondered about Paul Merton's prog. title but never really thought about it for too long. Now it all becomes clear.

Erm no... but see my reply below!

I read the book and had completely forgotten it until reading Gandalph's post. I had sometimes wondered about Paul Merton's prog. title but never really thought about it for too long. Now it all becomes clear.

I didn't even read the book :huh:

Erm no... but see my reply below!

I didn't even read the book :huh:

1984 by George Orwell, He wasn't very far out with the title was he. :(