AVG 8.0 ? - Free?

Irene

Just under a year ago, AVG emailed me to say that I was entitled to an upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0.

I recently have been having a notice each time on startup, that there is only ## of days left and inviting me to purchase a license!! I don't recall seeing anything about a one year trial. :unsure:

Did anyone else have the upgrade?

Did I miss some small print?

Does it still describe itself as "AVG Anti Virus-Free" on the Title bar ? I'm not aware of any change in terms on the free version, so either you've somehow ended up with a copy of the Pro version, or they're resorting to nag screens to get people to pay for the upgrade. You could try posting a question on the AVG fee forum.

If it proves a problem, there are fortunately quite a few very good alternatives available at the moment:-

avast!

Rising

Comodo

Antivir

Irene,

From memory, I think that both of us got a free version of AVG 7.5 Pro (with a 1 year licence) from a link I posted some 12 months back.

Mine has just expired - so I am now back to using Version 8.0 Free :(

I suggest you uninstall your existing AVG 7.5 before installing the new Version 8 Free.

When installing, opt for a Custom Install, and then set your daily scan to whatever time you want (if you do want to enable it), + then turn off the Link Checker (which is ticked as to be installed by default).

J

Irene,

From memory, I think that both of us got a free version of AVG 7.5 Pro (with a 1 year licence) from a link I posted some 12 months back.

Mine has just expired - so I am now back to using Version 8.0 Free :(

I suggest you uninstall your existing AVG 7.5 before installing the new Version 8 Free.

When installing, opt for a Custom Install, and then set your daily scan to whatever time you want (if you do want to enable it), + then turn off the Link Checker (which is ticked as to be installed by default).

I am running version 8.0.200

Maybe the 7.5 Pro updated to the 8.0+. :(

Not sure if I still have the 7.5...

I'll need to check. Boris, if I don't have it, where would the best download(s) be from?

Edit: Ooops just noticed you UNinstall not INstall 7.5. :rolleyes:

Woops. :(

Unless Irene downloaded it from somewhere where the setup.exe had adware in it prompting her to purchase the full version?

Or, you downloaded it from the link Boris gave you and you didn't read it or something. I doubt AVG would give away their full version for free though. Try emailing them to ask them.

Boris was correct.

I had forgotten that we had the 12 month free license. During the updates over the year, mine had reached version 8.0.200.

I have since uninstalled the '8 Pro' and replaced it with the free version. :D

I doubt AVG would give away their full version for free though.

They do/did :)

- this was a one-off, (for one day only) free twelve months licence offer for the full AVG Pro version - now expired. Only a few of us took it up.

• 3 months later...
I wouldn't be surprised to see AVG move away from the "free" market any time soon ;)

AntiVir from Avira has a good rate of detection.

Avast is another great engine, for free anyway.

I've tried AntiVir 3 times over the last 3 years on 2 different computers. Each time I had the same problems:

1 A noticeable slowing effect when browsing on the internet.

2 Sometimes difficulties in making a connection for updates and VERY slow updates when they did occur.