Is Brown lying?

andsome

By the end of this catalogue of absence, abstention and ignorance it would not have been surprising to hear Gordon announce that he had learned of the invasion of Iraq from the tea lady at Number 11. There is something far wrong here. Either Gordon is being economical with the actualité, as he is economical with so many other things, or this is the revelation of a totally fissured and dysfunctional government.

The above was taken from here.

My link

Either Gordon is being economical with the actualité, as he is economical with so many other things, or this is the revelation of a totally fissured and dysfunctional government.

My link

There is no question of "Either"

It is "Gordon is being economical with the actualité, as he is economical with so many other things, and this is the revelation of a totally fissured and dysfunctional government.

No, I don't think that Brown was lying - not as far as he's concerned.

The problem is that seasoned liars become so persuaded that their utterances have some sort of divine nature such that they are the actualité and no longer lies.

Don't think that I am picking out Brown having exclusivity of these delusions, there are a thousand or more occupiers of seats in the Palace of Westminster to whom the same applies.

They are all rotted to the central atoms of their being.

I've posed this question previously but, I ask again:

What happened to STATESMEN? Those who had pride in their calling. Those who cared for the electorate. Those who put their duties for well-being of the people who voted them into power above their self interest, greed, downright crookedness and blatant criminality.

What happened to STATESMEN? Those who had pride in their calling......

I think in some ways this is parallel to the question about "why are all the policemen so young".

We, the general public, have become less gullible, due to the news media becoming more open, and also the Statesmen, of which you speak, have, in the main, been decimated by taxation, death duties, and the like. To the point that those few that are left are, like the rest of us, just clinging on.

I believe that when they held sway they were more interested in their own well being that that of Joe Public, but there were fewer of them and their interests were generally better served if Joe Public was better served...be he on the land or in a factory.

The thing that finally nailed down the lid was the awarding of a wage to MPs. The people of whom you speak were in the main self financing.

Brown is like almost all politicians i.e. he lies through his teeth :angry:

How can he say that he let the army have enough money when the generals say that it was he who made budget cuts when he was Chancellor :censored:

I can only think of one politician who tells the truth and that is Vince Cable.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother was in the civil service before he got so pissed off with the lot of them that he quit, he reckoned there was only one cabinet minister with sufficient brains to read a full civil service report on any given topic and that was Hilary Benn, all the others had to be supplied with the Idiots Guide dummed down version.

What happened to STATESMEN? Those who had pride in their calling......

I think in some ways this is parallel to the question about "why are all the policemen so young".

We, the general public, have become less gullible, due to the news media becoming more open, and also the Statesmen, of which you speak, have, in the main, been decimated by taxation, death duties, and the like. To the point that those few that are left are, like the rest of us, just clinging on.

I believe that when they held sway they were more interested in their own well being that that of Joe Public, but there were fewer of them and their interests were generally better served if Joe Public was better served...be he on the land or in a factory.

The thing that finally nailed down the lid was the awarding of a wage to MPs. The people of whom you speak were in the main self financing.

Yes, the media are much more challenging towards authority than though used to be, although they also sometimes get it wrong. Other important factors that have made Joe and Josephine Public much more knowledgeable are: (1) cheap international air travel that enbles people to visit the countries that our leaders used to tell us were "enemies" or "friends" enabling us to judge for ourselves; (2) easy exchange of lots of information over the internet - though here we have to use a lot of common sense to assess we read.

Politicians (and, I might add, people like religious leaders) seem quite oblivious to the enormous increase in awareness of the ordinary person these days, or maybe they just don't care because they know the "opposition" are upto exactly the same tricks.

We really need a thorough change in our political culture and standards, but how that might come about, I have no idea.