Windows Update

bludgard

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Configuration

• Install updates automatically
    • Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
    • Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
    • Never check for updates

Having had some disastrous events following Windows updates in the past, I am ever cautious about anything from MS. It is, of course, much safer now with System Restore and easy restore from backup but with me, it's a case of once bitten etc. - actually I was bitten more than once by them.

I still only allow MS to update its own software, not that from other suppliers like it often tries to do.

I go looking for updates, pick what I want, leave it a couple of weeks to see if there is any negative feedback, and then implement the update.

Auto updates by these big companies can sometimes wreak havoc. (McAfee only just recently)

Errors with update KB951748 for Windows XP back in 2008 went worldwide for users of certain software.

Below is an example of what happened :

"My heart goes out to those poor non techy folks who have suddenly lost their internet connection and have not a clue why.

Is the internet down?

Could it be the MS updates?

Do they know how to find and uninstall the relevant updates?

.... and of course the worst thing is they have no internet access to find out what is going on.

For Microsoft to do this via an automatic update procedure is utterly .............. ah! words fail me!"

Pops said: actually I was bitten more than once by them.

Same here. - Nuff said. :)

John.

Having had some disastrous events following Windows updates in the past, I am ever cautious about anything from MS. It is, of course, much safer now with System Restore and easy restore from backup but with me, it's a case of once bitten etc. - actually I was bitten more than once by them.

I still only allow MS to update its own software, not that from other suppliers like it often tries to do.

Agreed.:)

I prefer to see what the update is and decide whether or not to install it. For instance, I don't install updates to CD burning, as I don't use the Windows utility for this.

Same here and, like you, I only update features of the operating system that I actually use.

I hide those that I don't want, so as not to cause confusion at a later date.:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I auto check, but choose to install.

This is mainly because I don't trust windows updates not to break things!

Regards,

Si

I agree. I've got some updates for MS Net Framework sitting somewhere on my hard disk that just will not install, even though after I run the install the computer tells me they've been successfully installed. Then guess what happens when I next go to MS Update to install.more updates? I'm told there's some updates already on my computer waiting to be installed - the Net Framework ones I downloaded & have repeatedly "installed" every month for the last 4 months! :censored:

...I'm told there's some updates already on my computer waiting to be installed - the Net Framework ones I downloaded & have repeatedly "installed" every month for the last 4 months! :censored:

Can you find these updates and delete them,Dencandy?Of course a backup in case you want to revert.XP right?What version of .NET?

I have the following versions of .NET Framework:

NET CLR 2.0.50727

NET CLR 3.04506.2152

NET CLR 3.5.30729

Where would I find the uninstalled updates?

MBSA may be able to help with the problem.

If not,try the solution offered in this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/782458.htm

If the problem persists,holla back.;)

One

I found solutions to the problem with these 2 updates;

KB2418241 - is not required since my computer is not being used as a server.

KB979909 - requires the complete uninstalling of all NET Framework components & their re-installation. Since it seems to be rarely used I didn't bother & marked the update as "Please don't inform me..."

• 2 years later...

I have just installed windows 8.1.

In windows 8 they had the normal option to hide optional updates.

I can't find it in windows 8.1. I need to hide a optional update for a video driver. I know I can just not check it. But I am worried one of the kids might accidentally download it. The optional display driver will not all a high enough resolution for the 'windows store' in windows 8.1.

So far 8.1 seems to give me brighter colors on my 32 inch lcd monitor. And IE11 seems to load pages faster also. I have only been using it since last evening so will have a better look at it over the weekend. (It's supposed to get to 110, so I think I'll stay inside.) LOL

• 8 years later...