Possible conflicting Anti-virus

doug

We had persuaded an elderly friend of ours to get a computer to surf the Net. She is semi-house bound to look after her bed-ridden 97 year old mum. We were very concerned last winter. Anyway she has biten the bullet and got a laptop - an Acer e-machine from Argos. She got this just before we went on holiday. A couple of members of her family (who visit very occaisionally) have set her up - then I got involved. It was all a bit of a mismatch. So today have successfully set a a Remote Assistance link to her machine and have now got het up and running with mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird - which I use. I noticed that she has Norton (disabled), Macaffe and AVG running - which hints at coflicts to me. Following previous threads I propose to bin Norton by downloading the Norton removal tool, but what should I do regarding the Macaffee and AVG combinations? She is running Win 7 Home pemium.

As I told her when we disconnected this morning the world is now her winkle so I need to convert it to an oyster.

Recently, I've come to rely on MS Security Essentials for my malware control - with an occasional scan using HouseCall.

All of my W7 machines have remained malware free all the time I've had them.

I don't visit the darker side of the Internet (neither does your friend, I would expect, doug) so this system may be adequate for her as well.

...the wifes machine has MSE on it and has had no problems since I installed W7 ....

True here as well. I have put MSE to the test; it can take a beating from multiple threats and keep a machine operable. It may be worth noting that an occasional cleaning of temp files never hurt too many computers. It is my opinion that some temp files can be just as dangerous as malware itself.:unsure:

There is no point in having both AVG and MSE on one computer. With luck - there will not be conflicts - but for sure with everything getting scanned twice the computer will be sluggish.

I have used MSE ever since I changed to Windows 7 and it has never let me down.