Problems Posting and Editing

AlanHo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.K, I went off, walked the dog, watched TV and calmed down a bit. I did manage not to be rude to anyone, thus not breaking my New Year resolution. :)

I truly did lose my temper when trying to make a post in answer to Yad on Windows Client OS Support this afternoon.

This place that I am typing now, suffers from truly random behaviour. That is a fact. Irrelevant of the browser used.

You can go on making posts for maybe a day, and then Bam ! it does something weird. It is completely bloody unpredictable ! - But only for some people doing certain things it would seem. (The Ley Lines again ?)

Using BB Code works sometimes in the default text editing mode, at other times you have to toggle the editing mode to make a post at all, let alone use BB Code. Once in the non-default editing mode you just hope it will toggle back. - Most times it will not, and that is when you get the "Error 403" start to come up when you want to Preview Post or Add Reply.

Posting something like the following code can at times be ok, but on another occasion cause the text editor to do some very strange things (Lock ups, Errors, wrong script, inability to move the cursor.)

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html] Read about it here[/url]

I have tried copying any posts I have been working on into notepad, clearing the cache, rebooting the computer, and all manner of things, all to no avail. Up until this afternoon i have had to compose the posts first in notepad for some weeks, and all had been ok. This afternoon even that failed.

As I'm typing now the cursor just shot off to the middle of the ruddy page with a mind of it's own.

It is a bit like having a mini version of Windows ME back on the computer. :(

So. That is what it does. -

-And this is how it makes you feel, to anyone who has not yet experienced it. FRUSTRATION_zps62470901.gif

Morning all,

A bit of a delay, however the forum has now been upgraded to the most recent version which was released last week.

The "Skin" has also been updated, so please let me know if posting content is still an issue, I'm using Chrome browser, this seems to be more forgiven than the likes of IE. As a test, if you get any issues, I have made the default Invision skin available, so it may be worth while testing the same content with that skin if you get an issue ("Change Theme" is available in the far bottom left of the page).

I'll be around and about today :)

Jobe went so far as to whip up Windows To Go to keep from being browser-bungled up in here. Jobe actually likes the feature and ya'll know Jobe loves him some Windows.

Pic unrelated but indicates my newest pastime....

wheelchairalan.jpg

Peace, ya'll. :drinks:

Edit: I even got to edit my post; first time in like 6 months.

Hmmmm...... Person in wheelchair heading for crocodile ?

I've got it ! - You're working with Peter Pan, have tied Cap'n Hook up and are feeding him to the Croc, - right ?

Congrats on being able to fix a BSOD merely by suggesting Safe Mode. I always said that your time spent as rear gunner with the Salvation Army would come in useful one day didn't I ? :rolleyes:

I digress. - It seems as though Windows Forum is no longer bust. :yahoo:

Well at least until Mr Ho gets over throwing his toys outta the pram and comes back on in with IE10. :(

Come back 'Ol Buddy, finding new people to insult is time consuming.

John.

Evening all,

For anyone seeing the error pages, when the occur, can you PM me the content that is in the address bar. It seems like the forum is trying to do something in some instances that it shouldn't be doing. Unsure if this relates to the type of content, e.g. if images or special text formatting. Hopefully the address bar content will provide me some clues.

Test post to check whether IE10 is working yet

The signs are good - it just accepted use of the return key and the options for text colour size etc are not greyed out.

Edit

It would appear that I am also able to edit a post - which I was not able to do previously

Except that the header with font, size and other settings is greyed out.

test reply in Chrome on Win7x64.

Edit shows header bar with font and size available.

Edit in IE9 also shows header bar. I dont have Win8, cant test IE10 currently. May be an issue with the forum skin code in IE10.

Here we go, IE10 on Win7, all options still available :unsure:

This is a response using Chrome - I am typing this in Spain on my Win8 Notebook.

Edit

Just altered text colours and size - all seems to work OK including edit.

I don't have a Win8 Notebook and I am not likely to go to Spain.

Does this mean that on my desktop in UK I am unable to edit and use colour fonts.

Post made using Firefox on Win7x64

I have just had a session of trying to Post and trying to Edit posts. It has been most...ummm. what's the word I am looking for, oh yes Trying.

Craig

There is no point in us coming to this site if you cannot post and you cannot edit.

I use Firefox with Win7x64.

I have just had a session of trying to Post and trying to Edit posts. It has been most...ummm. what's the word I am looking for, oh yes Trying.
Craig
There is no point in us coming to this site if you cannot post and you cannot edit.
I use Firefox with Win7x64.

Very strange, I am now posting with Firefox / Win7x64. All controls are quite clear and usable.

Test: I am now edit posting from IE9 / Win7x64. Everything is clear and available.

Another test: Now editing with Firefox / Win7x64. The controls are NOT showing at all. Ah, I just realised that I need to press "Use Full Editor" to see the controls at the top. :D

On a side note, Chrome uses the full editor even using the simple reply.

I'm still unsure what may be causing an issue with regards to creating new topics; if you experience an issue, please send me the URL that appears in the address bar at the point of error, along with with the forum name you were attempting to post in.

The ability to edit posts was restricted to 15 minutes; the only people with the ability to edit beyond this time were moderators. In order to assist with problem solving, this limit has been increased to 3 days for all members.

Here is what happens on Firefox/Waterfox: when entering the forum editor, the editor tools quickly (about 1/10th of a second) become visible, then immediately get greyed out.

It appears as if there is a JavaScript or something that checks for the browser, then decided to turn the tools off.

Here is what happens on Firefox/Waterfox: when entering the forum editor, the editor tools quickly (about 1/10th of a second) become visible, then immediately get greyed out.

It appears as if there is a JavaScript or something that checks for the browser, then decided to turn the tools off.

Pat, I checked my Java Firefox plug-in - here is a 'snip' of it. I am sure that it will mean more to you than it does for me. Could there be any bearing on it?

post-5852-0-27830000-1362420469_thumb.gi

Also, I linked to this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=843373

Pat, I checked my Java Firefox plug-in - here is a 'snip' of it. I am sure that it will mean more to you than it does for me. Could there be any bearing on it?

post-5852-0-27830000-1362420469_thumb.gi

Also, I linked to this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=843373

EDIT:

Now that's odd, my post has happened twice in the same post! I did do a preview part way through...

Curiouser and curiouser. :unsure:

c o m p l e x i t i e s

I have had to write that word in that manner with gaps between letters, because typing it in the normal way gives me an >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

error403_zpsb08d6794.jpg

Does this happen to anyone else ? I noticed it this afternoon when I posted. This is getting weirder.

Congratulations Irene :)