Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Irene

I wondered if the age / make of the computer pushes them down the waiting list whilst M$ sort out any issues. :unsure:

The machine I tried to load on to is less than three months old - albeit installed with W7.

I am on holiday and my laptop decided to download the Win 10 upgrade. I "ummed and Arred" about whether to instal it - but eventually deciding the have a go.

I set it started and we went out for a meal - when we returned 2 hours later it was asking me if I wanted it to install and set everything up - so I let it. It has taken just under 45 minutes to complete and is now up and running, seemingly OK.

My wife has an identical laptop so I will do it when we get home on Wednesday.

My impression is the laptop seems to perform no differently from when it was running Win 8.1 - whereas my desktop was definitely a little quicker at most tasks. On both computers the Edge browser is very fast compared with IE 11.

I had every intention of updating,but despite previous messages to the effect that the computer was compatible, on update morning a new message said that my graphics card was not compatible.

The honeymoon with Win 10 is over for me.

I keep getting programs or the web browser freeze - even when using IE11 rather than Edge.

Photobucket sometimes refuses to let me copy a link

Outlook sometimes takes ages to load and then download Emails.

My favourite forum smilies cannot be loaded into a post without hassle.

There are problems with Flash in Edge - the videos in the BBC News site do not load in Edge unless Flash is enabled. Even then its iffy.

I don't like the menu system - I am so stuck in my Win 8 ways that it is taking ages to find things

It does not remember the position and size of individual folders and links on the desktop. Shell Folder Fix which cured the problem in Win 8 does not work in Win 10.

Need I say more

Acronis came to the rescue - I recovered my Win 8.1 backup taken immediately before I loaded Win 10 and I am back with Win 8.1

The only one I have had (and still have) numerous problems with, is a Samung netbook.

It originally came with Windows 7 Starter, which I upgraded to Win7 Home. This upgrade to Win10 is hopeless!

It failed at 75% plus on a number of occasions with different error codes.

Earlier today I found some useful advice (which included the use of msconfig.exe to stop all services, except MS from loading at startup) and the installation succeeded. However, when it was later started using all of the previously disabled items, it went into a continuous loop - and still is!!

Fine so far with me :)

I have had no problems to date with either of the 2 machines running Win 10 Home (one 32bit, the other 64bit),

nor with the two test machines running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64bit.

I am going to do another upgrade from Win 7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 pro 64bit later this week.

So far I have been unsuccessful upgrading my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.

Error codes: C1900208, 80240020.

Following Irene's instructions in an earlier post (deleting the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder) allowed WindowsUpdate to download the installer again, but it always ends up in failure.

At one stage it suggested that I "update" two drivers to very old versions, which I tried, but failed (due to newer drivers already installed).

Currently it is installing a new mouse & keyboard driver (since about 30 minutes; will it ever finish?)...

I'll keep you posted.

Success!

All I had to do was

• add a registry entry
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
      "AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001
  • end process GWX.exe

When the upgrade process started, it told me that Acronis True Image Home 2012 was not compatible with Windows 10, and gave me the option to uninstall.

Then it took about 3 hours, and now I have Windows 10.

But I have another question: clicking the Start button brings up a palette of "tiles", amongst them

attachicon.gifwin10-tile.png

Of course it's not 90° here; that must be Fahrenheit or something weird! So far I have not found how to change that to Celsius...

Irene is right about how to change the temperature, although some of us oldies prefer Fahrenheit.

I updated my main machine to Win 10 and when booted back up it still had my dual boot with Linux Mint intact.

I expected to have to alter the bootstrap to get Linux back.

The wife's laptop, A Sony Vaio upgraded with no problems and Acronis 2014 works with Win 10.

Both upgrades went without a hitch.

I have turned of most of the live tiles and disabled the Microsoft services that I will not use.

After messing around with it for a week, I have to say it is just a Win 8.1 with a start menu.

The only advantage I can see for me is the settings button is listed in the new start menu.

Keith,

What card is it ?

The card is 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS (EVGA

Keith

I think you may have a problem getting a driver for that card. It's quite an old one. I had a series 7200 card when I upgraded to Windows 7 and had a hell of a job getting it to work properly. I gave up and bought a new card

I have now reinstalled Windows 10 after uninstalling Acronis 2015 which I suspected was grumpy and the new installation of Win 10 works OK but I will not use Edge - it is not working well on flash video, will not let me insert smilies in posts and occasionally freezes.

I built a new computer last year in anticipation of the arrival of Windows 10 . This is its spec

DESKTOP COMPUTER COMPONENTS @ October 2014

Case : Antec GX-500 ATX Case 2 x USB3 ports 3 x Fans Tool less

PSU : CiT 850W Black Edition

Fan Control Aerocool F6XT

Motherboard Intel Asus H97M-PLUS (4 x DDR3 1600 - Gig Lan - SATA 3 - USB3)

CPU : Intel Core i5 4690 3.50 6MB 84W SKT 1150

Cooler : Arctic Cool Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

Memory 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 (2 x 4G)

Hard Drive C 240GB SSD CORSAIR FORCE LS CSSD-F240GBLS 560read/535write

Hard Drive D 1000GB SEAGATE Solid State Hybrid Drive 3.5 - 8GB SSHD 64MB

Optical Drive Samsung SATA DVD+/- RW - 22X

Graphics Card Nvidia GTX750 (1024MB PCI Express DVI DX11) (550w min psu)

Esata Ports PCI Card 2 Port Card

• Irene featured this topic
  • Irene unfeatured this topic
  • Irene locked this topic