Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Irene

Has anyone received their W10 yet?

I have one machine (which was registered for the update on the first dy the invitation was sent out) sitting here gasping for its new leas of life and what does it get? Nowt!

Oh well, only to be expected, I suppose.

OK, I've updated one of the laptops! :yahoo:

All went very smoothly. :clapping:

My problem at the moment is finding my way around. It will probably be easier for people who have already experienced Windows 8 / 8.1. I think I'll do some exploring before I proceed with any others in the household. ;)

From what I have read, Microsoft are having problems already with some Drivers. I think I will give it a wide berth for a few Month's for them to get the bugs out.

People capable of running it have one year to get the free download, as I understand it. Then it has to be bought.

From what I have read, Microsoft are having problems already with some Drivers. I think I will give it a wide berth for a few Month's for them to get the bugs out.

People capable of running it have one year to get the free download, as I understand it. Then it has to be bought.

I will certainly hold off the installation on our main computers - the one which I have used is a laptop which there is no dependancy upon. Not everyone has the benefit of this facility, so tread cautiously...

Has anyone received their W10 yet?

I have one machine (which was registered for the update on the first dy the invitation was sent out) sitting here gasping for its new leas of life and what does it get? Nowt!

Oh well, only to be expected, I suppose.

John,

If you are in any sort of hurry, you can use the Media Creation Tool from

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

You can use it to "force" an in-place installation of the upgrade onto your PC.

Instructions here :- http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953843/windows/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc.html

but note this :-

You may run into a situation where Windows asks for a license key.

If you’re upgrading from a licensed copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you can click the tiny “skip” option;

Microsoft will then find the license key from the depths of your machine.

I successfully used the above method to upgrade my test PC (Athlon X3 440, 3GB DDR3, 250GB H/D) from Win 7 HP 32bit to Win !0 Home 32bit.

Everything went smoothly, and Windows 10 almost immediately re-activated.

No problems except for the default Win 10 graphics driver being a bit "coarse" with my Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 7025 graphics.

First HP laptop now looking good. B)

I've spent time digesting the way things work and am happy that I can manipulate all that I require and can think of so far.

The other HP laptop has announced that it's ready to go ahead, but Mike doesn't feel ready for it yet.

My desktop - Packard Bell oneTwo M3871 All-inOne still at the starting gate. :unsure:

I've had one or two failures - I need to investigate!

Samsung N220 netbook waiting in the wings....

My desktop and laptop have yet to download the Win 10 upgrade.

The Windows Update history on my Desktop computer shows that there have been 14 attempts to download the file over the past 3 days. My laptop shows 2 failed attempts.

I have found some recommendations on the web to delete all the files in the "C:/Windows/Software Distribution/Download folder" - which I did yesterday - but it seems not to have helped.

Update%20History_zpshv1nkdkj.jpg

My desktop and laptop have yet to download the Win 10 upgrade.

The Windows Update history on my Desktop computer shows that there have been 14 attempts to download the file over the past 3 days. My laptop shows 2 failed attempts.

I have found some recommendations on the web to delete all the files in the "C:/Windows/Software Distribution/Download folder" - which I did yesterday - but it seems not to have helped.

Alan, I am experiencing the same problem with the Samsung Netbook and Packard Bell oneTwo.

Error code 80240020 shows in the details of the update history.

I have tried the following on the Samsung. Unfortunately without success, but it seems to have worked for other people:-

1. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all files in that folder only the files in download folder, NOT the download folder!

2. Open Command Prompt as admin and type this command wuauclt.exe /updatenow

3. Go to windows update you should see it will begin to download something.

I'll just need to keep searching!

I did a bit of googling and it was suggested that I delete all the files in C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download - which I did.

Like you Irene I tried the command prompy milarky - but it didn't work at all.

An hour later on my desktop I got the message to install Windows 10 - which I did. (My laptop which I have left running all day has yet to get it).

It took just 45 minutes to install Win10 and I am pleased to see my printers and scanner are all working fine, all my stored user names, passwords etc are intact and my desktop is identical to Win 8.1 (because my Start8 desktop software is still working OK). I have yet to trial all my other software - but so far, so good.

I did notice that Windows Restore is turned off by default - I have switched it on for just my C drive.

My first run of CCLeaner after the Win10 install produced 93 Registry entries to be deleted.

The new browser - Edge - is very fast compared with Explorer but I need to spend time to get it set up to my liking.

This was the easiest Windows upgrade I have experienced. For me - Microsoft got it spot on.

I will not be fiddling with it any more until next week because I am now packing to go and spend a few days in Lincoln. Initially for a friend's golden wedding party and then for some sightseeing.

Just looked in the view updates, on the main computer it says 15 failed attempts over 3 days, the wife's laptop says 8 failed attempts.

I could install it from the ISO and also have it on a USB stick.

I am in no hurry as the wife's laptop is a Sony Vaio, and Sony advised not to update on the first day.

Both are backed up with Acronis, so if anything does go wrong it will be easy to get it back to how it was.

I can only pray when it upgrades, as it is certain to wreck my dual boot with Linux Mint.

I performed the following on the desktop All-in-One...

1. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all files in that folder only the files in download folder, NOT the download folder!

2. Open Command Prompt as admin and type this command wuauclt.exe /updatenow

It launched the download immediately. Still installing, but looking good. ;)

Ahhhhh!!!

I left the All-in-One to get on with it, but when I looked later it's just a blank black screen. Still powered on but no screen at all!

All sorted now...

Phew!!!

You could try using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to do a manual update:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

For 32-bit systems: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616935

For 64-bit systems: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

Once downloaded, run the tool and follow the instructions as you go.

After much waiting I decided to download W10 using the media creation tool as suggested earlier.

After some hours of it grinding away,a message came up (very difficult to read btw dark red on the dark blue) telling me that my language pack was incorrect and to install the correct version. It also asked if I wanted to retain personal files and folder, or programs or nothing. The default was nothing and clicking the other choices reverted to the default.

The test machine is quite new (3 months) and up to date loaded with W7. I am not going to risk a complete collapse of everything already on it so goodbye W10.

I may install on a new machine in due course but in the meantime, forget it.

I found this worked on one of the computers I was updating, when I received error 80240016:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/windows-update-error-80240016

Windows Update error 80240016
Applies to Windows 7

If you receive Windows Update error 80240016 while trying to install updates, it typically means that another installation is in progress. Wait until the installation is finished, and then try installing updates again. If you're not sure which programs or devices are being installed or updated, check the notification area on your computer for progress information, or check your desktop or taskbar to see if an installation wizard is running. If the problem is still occurring, try using the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

If that didn't work, try the following steps.

To stop and restart a system program

1. Close any open Windows Update or Microsoft Update windows.

2. Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then type Command Prompt.

3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. In the Command prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

5. To close the Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

6. Run Windows Update again.

Technical information

Error 80240016 indicates that Windows Update cannot access the user token. The user token contains the basic credentials that enable Windows Update to make changes to your computer on your behalf without requiring you to log in every time. This error can occur if you're running your computer for long periods without restarting and the token expires. It might also occur when Automatic Update is running in the background and Windows Update is run in the foreground.

Starting and stopping the Automatic Update service will reset the service and acquire the token again.

What I've decided on is to put the upgrade on a new machine which I have a commision for - that is install W7 (which I have a new copy of) and intall W10 on top of that -before any other programs etc.

I'm not immpressed so far!

-pops-, i have received the same error - C1900101 - on a Samsung N220 netbook.

I have searched and searched, but to no avail. I couldn't find any satisfactory efective solution. This one will need to wait a while until Microsoft or someone comes up with a resolution. Grrrr!

I've just force-upgraded a second PC (Pentium G840, 4GB DDR3, 80GB + 500GB H/D + onboard Intel HD graphics) from Win 7 HP 64bit to Win 10 Home 64bit.

Everything went smoothly again, and Windows 10 almost immediately re-activated.

No problems except for the very long time the Win 10 install file took to download (15 hours) compared to the 65 minutes the first one took.

I am only on 10MB (non-fibre) broadband :( .

Bear this in mind if you go this route - it appears as if the Microsoft servers are throttling the downloads?

• Irene featured this topic
  • Irene unfeatured this topic
  • Irene locked this topic