Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Irene

Open the app and look down at the bottom left - the is a 'cog' link to the settings.

Thank you; I did that yesterday, and I did it today, but the thing didn't budge.

And then, all off a sudden, it started to show the right temperature: 36°C. Nice and warm today!

I've just force-upgraded my third PC from Win 7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit

(Core2 Quad Q6600, 3GB DDR2, 160GB + 250GB H/D + ASUS HD 4670 512MB graphics).

Yet again no problems, with Windows 10 immediate re-activation.

The Win 10 install file took only 50 minutes to download.

Summary to date.

I've now upgraded 3 of my machines to Win 10 - 32bit Home, 64bit Home, 64bit Pro.

Different CPU each time - AMD X3 440, Pentium G840, Core2 Quad Q6600.

Different graphics - onboard Geforce 7025, onboard Intel HD, ASUS HD 4670.

The first two were ethernet connected, the latest one by PCI N wireless card

All devices were found correctly by Win 10, and everything has worked properly.

None of the installed programmes or data has yet been "lost".

I'm leaving my two Win 7 64bit Home Premium machines (with Retail licenses) as they are.

So only 3 more left to do now :) 2 x Win 7 64bit OEM Home Premium plus a Win 7 32bit Starter netbook.

Keith,

What card is it ?

The card is 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS (EVGA

Keith

I think you may have a problem getting a driver for that card. It's quite an old one. I had a series 7200 card when I upgraded to Windows 7 and had a hell of a job getting it to work properly. I gave up and bought a new card

I have now reinstalled Windows 10 after uninstalling Acronis 2015 which I suspected was grumpy and the new installation of Win 10 works OK but I will not use Edge - it is not working well on flash video, will not let me insert smilies in posts and occasionally freezes.

I built a new computer last year in anticipation of the arrival of Windows 10 . This is its spec

DESKTOP COMPUTER COMPONENTS @ October 2014

Case : Antec GX-500 ATX Case 2 x USB3 ports 3 x Fans Tool less

PSU : CiT 850W Black Edition

Fan Control Aerocool F6XT

Motherboard Intel Asus H97M-PLUS (4 x DDR3 1600 - Gig Lan - SATA 3 - USB3)

CPU : Intel Core i5 4690 3.50 6MB 84W SKT 1150

Cooler : Arctic Cool Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

Memory 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 (2 x 4G)

Hard Drive C 240GB SSD CORSAIR FORCE LS CSSD-F240GBLS 560read/535write

Hard Drive D 1000GB SEAGATE Solid State Hybrid Drive 3.5 - 8GB SSHD 64MB

Optical Drive Samsung SATA DVD+/- RW - 22X

Graphics Card Nvidia GTX750 (1024MB PCI Express DVI DX11) (550w min psu)

Esata Ports PCI Card 2 Port Card

I am not even going to try to find a driver. I don't mess around inside the computer, and the local shop wants more than the computer is worth to upgrade the card. It is about six or so years old. I will carry on for the time being.

• 4 weeks later...

UN, DAU, TRI, PEDWAR ...............

Just force-upgraded my fourth PC from Win 7 Home Premium 64bit to Win 10 Home 64bit

(AMD X4 640, 4GB DDR2, 160GB + 500GB H/D + GeForce 7600GT 256MB graphics).

Yet again no problems, with Windows 10 immediate re-activation.

The Win 10 install file took 45 minutes to download.

All devices were found correctly by Win 10, and everything has worked properly.

None of the installed programmes or data has been "lost".

I'm leaving my two Win 7 64bit Home Premium machines (with Retail licenses) as they are.

So 2 more left to go - Win 7 64bit OEM Home Premium plus a Win 7 32bit Starter netbook.

So 2 more left to go - Win 7 64bit OEM Home Premium plus a Win 7 32bit Starter netbook.

It was my Samsung netbook which caused me the most pain - Win 7 32bit Starter, which I had upgraded to Win 7 Home.

It failed on numerous occasions and continually downloaded Win 10 each time! My monthly broadband usage allowance is 40GB and for the first and only only time ever, I exceeded it!

I finally gave up trying to upgrade the netbook and restored to the condition it was when it left the factory, which was the only option left open to me - it had reached a point of being in a perpetual startup loop. It then took hours of downloading Win 7 updates. I also lost everything which had been installed since I purchased it (fortunately it's not a machine which had anything important).

Good luck, Boris. post-5852-0-12712800-1441352894.gif

My netbook (which is an E-Machines EM-350) originally came with XP.

I then upgraded it to Vista Basic, and subsequently to Windows 7 Starter 32bit.

It has the maximum (2GB PC6400) RAM it will take plus an Atom N450 CPU.

I'm going to clone the existing 160GB H/D to another drive before I start the Win 10 upgrade, so it should leave me a failsafe if the upgrade does go *~+^$~.

I am in no immediate hurry to start :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just read your post above Boris.

I tried Windows 10 on a Novatech (Clevo) Stylenote with 4 Gb of DDR 2 RAM The processor only runs at 1.6 Gigs (That's it maxed out) and is was very slow to run. I was waiting ages after I had clicked on anything to open.

My Son who works in IT said that he would not attempt to run it on anything less than a Core 2duo with at least 6 GB RAM.

I went back to Windows 8.1 Pro and it runs very well.

• 1 year later...

Personally I don't think Windows 10 was ready for release, MS have tried to be far too clever and have come unstuck with EDGE, and MAIL.  I much preferred Windows 7. Classic shell has improved it somewhat for me.

8 minutes ago, andsome said:

Personally I don't think Windows 10 was ready for release, MS have tried to be far too clever and have come unstuck with EDGE, and MAIL.  I much preferred Windows 7. Classic shell has improved it somewhat for me.

Agree 100%

Edge has major problems, not least that stored "Favorites" get deleted.

I'm now using Firefox as a Browser

21 hours ago, -pops- said:

I have clearly been lucky - I have upgraded my desktop , my wife's laptop, 3 neighbours laptops, 2 friends desktops and 5 friends/family laptops from Windows 7 and have experienced hardly any problems and certainly no loss of valuable data. Some stuff had to be set into compatibility mode to get it to work smoothly. On all of them I installed Stardock Start10 desktop front end software so that they still had the Windows 7 interface.

The only hardware/software problems I could not resolve were getting a very old HP scanner to work and some games on a grand-daughter's laptop to work.

I have also set up Windows Mail for several people who formerly used Outlook Express - again with no real problems and no loss of data.

I am not denying that other people have had so much trouble - just pointing out that I clearly have a charmed life.

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

I have clearly been lucky - I have upgraded my desktop , my wife's laptop, 3 neighbours laptops, 2 friends desktops and 5 friends/family laptops from Windows 7 and have experienced hardly any problems and certainly no loss of valuable data. Some stuff had to be set into compatibility mode to get it to work smoothly. On all of them I installed Stardock Start10 desktop front end software so that they still had the Windows 7 interface.

The only hardware/software problems I could not resolve were getting a very old HP scanner to work and some games on a grand-daughter's laptop to work.

I have also set up Windows Mail for several people who formerly used Outlook Express - again with no real problems and no loss of data.

I am not denying that other people have had so much trouble - just pointing out that I clearly have a charmed life.

Mail for windows does not seem to me to have a facility for an address book.  That is my main complaint about it.  I have had no problems with loss of data etc, same as you.  I find Edge very lacking though, and IE and Windows live mail freeze now and then if I try to use them, this is why I use FF and Thunderbug. ( The quote above still shows paler than the typing that I am doing now.)

10 hours ago, AlanHo said:

What a rigmarole, what was wrong with the way that Windows live mail did things?   As I have said MS are trying to be too clever by half. They can stuff their crappy new programs.

I never use a log in password, I cannot see the point if it is a computer for use by one or two people only.  Only 'Er indoors and me use ours.I still cannot see the point in using the new Windows 10 mail when they have made it so complicated to find an e mail address.  In Thunderbug I just click new message and I have it set up so that an e mail opens up with my address book alongside.  Dead easy and no trouble at all.  As I have already said, MS are complicating  things and being too clever by half.  They can stuff Windows 10 mail, and Edge.  Classic shell make 10 look more like Windows 7.

• Irene featured this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Irene unfeatured this topic
  • 5 months later...
  • Irene locked this topic