Acronis Problems

I think that there is a small hidden partition on all bootable drives to tell the computer how to boot up and which files to load. This will not show up in Acronis if you do a partition restore.

If however you are doing a system restore from a system backup - you will see it - but without a drive letter.

Some backup Apps show the hidden partition anyway - and that includes EasUs TODO which I have on trial and is looking very promising.

I recall many moons ago trying to restore my computer which would not boot up properly - by restoring just the C: Partition. It didn't work and the Acronis help line suggested I did a system restore which would restore the hidden partition as well as the C: Drive - which did work.

I have never had any partitions on my computer.  When I boot up from the Acronis disc, I just select one of the back ups on my plug in hard drive and Acronis does the rest.  All my Acronis back ups just show the C drive if I open them to have a look.

Andsome - you probably don't make many additions or changes to your computer and are happy that your backups are always sufficiently up-to-date.

In my case my docs and pics folders are an ever changing feast - and weekly Back-ups could result in losing a whole week's valuable work. That is why I have a separate drive for all my docs and data which is backed up daily every time I shut down the computer using "Second Copy" software. 

We live on a small retirement estate and I am the director of the Management Company - thus keeping myself busy with all the correspondence, financials, liaison with our shareholders/inmates, Newsletters, plus supervision of contractors and services that is involved. Losing any of this information would be a disaster.  Hence I have a well-over-the-top backup regime with backups of everything duplicated on a hard disk in the study and one kept in our garage which is 40 yards remote from the house.

If my computer gets grumpy - I can therefore restore the C: drive and leave all the data alone or restore the data and leave the C: Drive alone or restore both. 

In the event that the computer gets totally wrecked or stolen - I have a remote and up-to-date source of the C: and D: drives to reinstall everything on a new machine.

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

Andsome - you probably don't make many additions or changes to your computer and are happy that your backups are always sufficiently up-to-date.

In my case my docs and pics folders are an ever changing feast - and weekly Back-ups could result in losing a whole week's valuable work. That is why I have a separate drive for all my docs and data which is backed up daily every time I shut down the computer using "Second Copy" software. 

We live on a small retirement estate and I am the director of the Management Company - thus keeping myself busy with all the correspondence, financials, liaison with our shareholders/inmates, Newsletters, plus supervision of contractors and services that is involved. Losing any of this information would be a disaster.  Hence I have a well-over-the-top backup regime with backups of everything duplicated on a hard disk in the study and one kept in our garage which is 40 yards remote from the house.

If my computer gets grumpy - I can therefore restore the C: drive and leave all the data alone or restore the data and leave the C: Drive alone or restore both. 

In the event that the computer gets totally wrecked or stolen - I have a remote and up-to-date source of the C: and D: drives to reinstall everything on a new machine.

I have my photos,downloads,etc,etc,in fact anything that I value and don't want to loose,on my 1TB D drive This is duplicated on a small 80GB plug in drive,and saved yet again on memory sticks. The only things on my 1TB plug in drive are my mirror images,and a couple of these are also saved on the D drive. I have loads of space to spare at present.

59 minutes ago, andsome said:

It's obviously an American company, so th e spelling is correct.

I don't think so !! :laugh:

EaseUS is a Chinese online software company specializing in data backup, data recovery, data transfer, and partition management products for Android, iOS, Mac OS X, and Windows devices.
Founded in August 2004, the company is powered by Chengdu Yiwo Tech Development Co., Ltd

Just found Paragon are giving away Paragon backup 16 for free for a limited period (Oct 16th).

Have not actually carried out a back up yet but looks okay. Partitions, full drive, files and folders, scheduled b/ups and incremental b/ups.

Have to create an account to get the serial number.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/download.html

By the way it shows the small second partition.