Pet hates

andsome

" It's a big ask "

Beloved of sports pundits, ask is a verb it is devoid of physicality or dimension, one can not have an ask let alone a big one. One can however have a big arse or a fat head and they all too frequently do.

Just bugs me.

Oh yes Newkiller instead of Nuclear, Aluminum instead of Aluminium ( even the bloody spell check is trying to incorrect me ) and British people who say"Period" to indicate the end of a sentence, first off we don't need phonetic punctuation and second Period is an Americanism it means something entirely different over here. Users are being pretentious and need a smack. 

5 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

Beloved of sports pundits, ask is a verb it is devoid of physicality or dimension, one can not have an ask let alone a big one. One can however have a big arse or a fat head and they all too frequently do.

Just bugs me.

Oh yes Newkiller instead of Nuclear, Aluminum instead of Aluminium ( even the bloody spell check is trying to incorrect me ) and British people who say"Period" to indicate the end of a sentence, first off we don't need phonetic punctuation and second Period is an Americanism it means something entirely different over here. Users are being pretentious and need a smack. 

I hate the way the pundits talking about football say that a player has EARNED a free kick or penalty.  No one EARNS a penalty, one is awarded by the referee because of an infringement of the laws of the game.

I think that all you said is spot on,  Belatucadrus.   

However, if you visited the city of  my birth, I think you would come away thinking, like I do, that you have just visited another continent.

It was never a pretty city.  It was a city in which men worked in mills and factories and made things.

Just what it is today I'm not sure. I go round the ring road when I visit my sister, who lives in one of the few areas which are still British.

53 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

Andsome - I thought your first pet hate:yahoo: was cats......

One of my pet hates is the use of the word "of" instead of "have"

I should of expressed that more clearly......................:mega_shok:

I do hate cats, that was coming next.

I hate cats.  :hi:

Marmite, Love it on toast, marmite crisps Grrrrrreat.

Tailgaters , with you on that one particularly after the Celica got trashed by white van man whose faith in the efficacy of his brakes was unfounded.

Mid lane hoggers I reserve judgement on, if the motorway is empty fair enough but incessantly hopping in and out of the slow lane as you come up against the never ending run of HGVs is just dangerous in those circumstances sitting in the middle lane is safer. Just don't dawdle.

My motorway hate is Elephant racing where the HGV that can do 56mph overtakes the one doing 55 and they block the carriageway for ruddy miles.

And Garlic, I loath Garlic, stinky revolting foul tasting bulb suitable only for continentals to disguise their bloody awful cuisine, justifies Brexit in one simple step !  :ranting:

Any minute now I'm expecting Artist to resurface and tell us what a miserable old bunch we are.

I would add to the culinary television programme hates: all the trash programmes that involve the public buying junk then selling it; worse is so-called "antiques experts" travelling all over Britain (even sometimes venturing to the continent) buying absolute crap to try and sell for a profit and often failing to do so; buying/selling properties; over the top reactions by so-called members of the public when watching television; endless re-runs of idiotic programmes like "You've Been Framed"; so-called celebrities and/or members of the public being incarcerated for weeks on end in a "house", in a "jungle", on a "desert island" and made carry out silly, often in dubious taste, activities.

There are more but I can feel my blood pressure rising!

I hate Television Cookery programs as well. There are far too many. I also hate the Antiques programs, there are far too many of them. In fact I hate so many programs on the telly such as The Voice, Britains got Talent, etc, etc,. Nearly all the Film's are repeats of what was on last week, they just move them to different channels.

I am now reduced to watching very few programs and don't know why I have to pay a Licence fee for the pleasure of watching a Film every now and again. 

There a couple of road islands near to us that are multi lane and have several exits. The road surface is painted with lines, arrows and instructions intended to guide traffic into the correct lane for their chosen exit. 

It's a nightmare. It is a mixture of the wacky races and fairground dodgems (except that the traffic is clockwise and not anti clockwise) and there are regular collisions of varying severity. My wife goes out of her way to avoid these junctions. I just grin, bear it and hate them.

We tried the talent shows a long long time ago. I hate the way the audience start screaming and applauding as soon as a performance starts.  Why the hell don't they listen and watch first and applaud at the end.

It's a good job as well Alan. On one of my States jobs there was this Woman Supervisor. How the hell she got the job beat me. She didn't have a clue what the hell she was talking about. She got up my nose until I told her to mind her own business and go away somewhere I couldn't see her. I told her I was contracted in by Marconi to repair their equipment and it had nothing to do with her. It was a classified job for NASA and she was sticking her nose into something that didn't concern her. From that day she never bothered me again. Thank God. 

Gandalph  ."...one of my States job..."

For most of my working years I was in the employ of a very well known American company with a some factories over here.

For the majority of those working years I was the Quality Assurance and Technical Services manager, with my staff covering two factorys .

Over the years we used to get visits from "Missionaries" who were supposed to "audit" our "procedures", particularly If we were starting to manufacture a new product.

It was seldom that they contributed anything, and more often than not any foul up on/with the new product launches occurred over the pond.

On one particular occasion I went to pick up on of these "missionarys" from the airport and found that he had brought his wife with him. He introduced me to her and we jumped into the car and off we went.  After we had gone a mile or two Herb said that he had brought his wife with him because after he had completed his visit they were going to fly over to Ireland for a holiday. He said they were going to hire a car and do a grand tour.

I said "If that is the case you are going to have to be very wary. They have just started a traffic experiment.  They now have cars and light vans driving on the left hand side and buses and  wagons driving on the right."

"Gee, hear that Laura? We're going to have to be very careful."

No I never saw or heard from again. I often wonder if he went driving on the wrong side .