What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

smoked haddock fishcakes topped with a poached egg and served with sautéd spinach.

-pops-, this sounds yummy. 

... I've just copied the method into my 'Word' recipe folder.  Will give it a whirl in the New Year.  :smile:

Dinner tonight will be:

What's left of a 3-bird roast (part-boned duck + turkey and pheasant breasts); Roast Potatoes, Parsnips and Carrots; Sprouts & Gravy.

The three-bird roast was purchased post Christmas, on offer at Sainsbury's.  :wink:  

We had one of those 5 bird roasts last year, as with yours it was an offer. Came to the conclusion it's a triumph of style over substance as getting three or five different fowl in a contrived format to cook evenly would appear to be a bit of a non starter. We concluded it was a waste of time and will be sticking to a crown of chicken or a duck from now on.

4 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

We had one of those 5 bird roasts last year, as with yours it was an offer. Came to the conclusion it's a triumph of style over substance as getting three or five different fowl in a contrived format to cook evenly would appear to be a bit of a non starter. We concluded it was a waste of time and will be sticking to a crown of chicken or a duck from now on.

This one turned out great.    ...But, I wouldn't buy one for the Christmas table.  :wink: 

In the end, there was a modification to yesterday's fishcakes.

Instead of microwaving the spuds they were inadvertently baked in the oven. Now, I'm not one to waste well-cooked potato skins so what I did was scoop out the flesh of the halved potatoes, mixed with the fish and seasoned as before and packed back into the skins. Topped with some good Cheddar cheese and back into the oven to brown.

The spinach was cooked in the microwave by piercing the bag and cooking for a couple of minutes until wilted. Then seasoned.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

The spinach was cooked in the microwave by piercing the bag and cooking for a couple of minutes until wilted. Then seasoned.

Did you not wash the farmer's chemicals off the spinach? - I don't trust packaged fruit and veg.

3 hours ago, AlanHo said:

Did you not wash the farmer's chemicals off the spinach? - I don't trust packaged fruit and veg.

It was claimed on the packet that it was clean (washed in spring water) and ready to eat. There are a lot of places that grow these salad crops near here and we know some of the farmers. I have no reason to disbelieve them when they say the packet information is true.

Neither of us has recovered our usual appetite, but we are getting there. Tonight we will have Waitrose chicken Kiev’s with a very small portion of chips with peas and sweet corn. The Waitrose Kiev’s are whole chicken portions,opened up an filled with garlic butter, not those abominable chopped and reformed versions sold by cheaper brands.

Today is linguine with a simple tomato and cheese sauce. The sauce is my standard quick tomato sauce to which is stirred 1 cm cubes of good Cheddar cheese just before serving. The idea is that the cheese is only partially melted.

This sauce works with most types of pasta.

Steak & kidney pie today with a suet crust. Having it with sprouts and green beans which have been lurking at the back of the fridge.

What I do for "pies" now is to cook the pastry base and the lid separately and assemble the pie on the plate when serving. Guaranteed no soggy bottoms then as you can easily check the pastry is done to your liking.

Neither of us has an appetite today. We are just going to have a piece of fish from the freezer with a couple of slices of bread and butter. I don’t feel much better at the moment, so the doctor has prescribed a far more powerful antibiotic, plus a steroid. I hope my appetite will soon improve. Feeling off colour does not usually stop me from eating.

4 hours ago, Irene said:

I do hope that you are feeling better soon Keith.  Take great care of yourselves.  :friends:

Many thanks. I don’t ever remember a cold affecting either of us this badly. I have heard that this bug is increasingly common at present.

M&S chicken in a fruity curry sauce served with Vegetable miscellany or left over bits from the last few days, roast spuds, beans, broccoli and some rice.

I have heard that this bug is increasingly common at present.

True, the NHS was worried about it some months back when they got info from the Australians that the flu vaccine didn't appear particularly effective on this years strain. Now causing problems in hospitals as the sick are bunging up beds and descheduling operations.

I'm trying to avoid all contact with people ATM. I've heard that this Australian flu is particularly nasty and the state my heart is in, I'd rather not take the risk.

Today is cottage pie with green beans and the last of the sprouts for this year.

In the freezer, we had 2 x Sage Crusted Pork Chops with Apple & Shallot Butter, which was purchased on a reduced basis from M&S.

So now brought to room temperature via the fridge, that will be the main element of our dinner this evening. 

We will also have Roast Potatoes and Parsnip; Sprouts & Carrots, with Gravy.  Maybe even some Apple Sauce.. 

Today, for our delectation is chilli beef - a sort of chilli con carne but without a particularly Mexican overtone. It comprises minced beef, tinned tomatoes, tinned mixed beans, chilli salt (we were given that for Christmas and very nice it is too), coriander, cumin, a little bit of sugar, pepper all stewed together - you know the drill, I'm sure.

Well...  I am using two recipes (Here is one of them) to achieve the menu for this evening:  

We are having Pork Wellington; Boiled Anya potatoes and Broccoli; with either Butter or gravy. 

...Here is the other

Pork Wellington

image.png

Prep Time 20 mins

Cook Time 40 mins

Total Time 1 hr

Serves 4 servings    

Ingredients

·         1 (1.1/2 pound) pork tenderloin

·         salt, pepper, dried thyme, as desired

·         1 sheet puff pastry dough

·         4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto

·         1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

·         1 tablespoon olive oil

·         1 tablespoon butter

·         8 ounces mushrooms, diced

·         1 shallot, diced

·         1 egg, beaten

Instructions

1.    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2.    Season pork tenderloin with salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Set aside.

3.    Roll out thawed puff pastry dough so that it’s as long as your tenderloin and wide enough to fully wrap around it.

4.    Arrange the prosciutto so that there is a thin layer covering the dough. Spread Dijon mustard over the top.

5.    In a large skillet over high heat, melt butter with olive oil. Cook mushrooms and shallots in a single layer, stirring only occasionally, until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.

6.    Add seasoned pork tenderloin to the hot pan and brown on all sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.

7.    Spread sautéed mushroom mixture on top of the prosciutto in a single layer. Add seared tenderloin. Insert meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat at the end - the thermometer will be able to stick out even after rolled. Roll tenderloin in dough and seal the edge with the beaten egg. Place the wellington on a parchment lined or stone baking sheet, seam side down. Brush top of dough with egg wash and cut slits in the top to release steam.

8.    Cook in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven when the internal temperature has reached between 145 degrees F (medium rare) and 160 degrees F (medium). Allow meat to rest 3 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!