What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

16 hours ago, Irene said:

-pops-, that sounds delicious!  Any spare rooms at your house?  :whistling:

There is a bit of a queue.

Tonight will be (I think) pigs liver braised with bacon and onions. Served with mash and some green leaf vegetable (cabbage, sprouts, kale or?)

Pulled lamb, cauliflower cheese, and starch, probably roasties.

Not roasties, we cleared out the fridge of leftovers and topped up with potato croquettes, the vegies were nice the Pulled Lamb only acceptable. We like Pulled Pork & Pulled Beef, the sticky sauce on the lamb was too sweet, not going to be a repeat purchase I fear.

6 hours ago, Irene said:

Dinner today will be:

Beef Olives with Chicory (Belgian Endives) > recipe HERE ; Fresh egg Noodles; plus veg, still to be decided.  

Nice. I like the bitterness of chicory, provided it's not too strong. Blanching helps to remove excess bitterness (cover with boiling water for a couple of minutes then quench in cold water).

Today we're having pizza. some dough was extracted from the bread machine before it began to cook. This (obviously) makes the base. The topping is tomato - my recipe simple tomato sauce cooked for a bit longer than normal to thicken it a bit then thin sliced Italian salami, thin sliced red and yellow sweet peppers, thin sliced fresh chilli, anchovies and finally Monterey Jack cheese.

Using the Monterey Jack as were given it as part of a gift from friends who had visited the USA. It's pretty much inedible to eat as it is so the next best thing is to cook it on a pizza.

We also are going out, this time to The Plough a local carvery, best in the area by far and mum gets an OAP discount so excellent value.

That was a very nice bit of beef and as usual they were so generous with it that mum took a poly bag with her and bought home enough for a couple of sandwiches. I on the other hand cleaned the plate.

Mum just checked the receipt " 2 OAP discount carveries " How very dare they, I'm not an OAP, indeed I'm so angry I've decided not to tell them. That'll teach them, giving a tightwad like me a discount I never asked for ! I may let them keep doing it :xmad:

Oh well if they're giving me a discount, least I can do is drop a link to their establishment in the post.

5 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

We also are going out, this time to a local carvery, best in the area by far and mum gets an OAP discount so excellent value.

Mum just checked the receipt " 2 OAP discount carveries " How very dare they, I'm not an OAP, indeed I'm so angry I've decided not to tell them. That'll teach them, giving a tightwad like me a discount I never asked for ! I may let them keep doing it :xmad:

:xlaugh:    :yahoo:

Dinner menu for this evening:

Scottish Salmon Fillets (probably pan-fried in butter); Boiled new potatoes (in the skin); Courgettes (halved and pan-fried - again in butter!) with thick slices of Tomato on top; plus homemade leek sauce.  

8 hours ago, andsome said:

Today we are attending a light lunch with entertainment at an exercise class that we attend. This evening it is my bowls club annual dinner in one of the best Cantonese restaurants in Lichfield.

Well that was vey pleasant, roll on tonight’s Cantonese 

M&S Tuscan sausage penne with side salad and some skinny fries. Slight amendment saw some ridge cut salt and pepper chips in Tesco, tried them instead quite nice.

Yesterday was smoked haddock in a cheese and mustard sauce with chunky chips and green beans, OK but the smoke on the fish was a bit heavy handed, made it seem salty.

We had a cordon bleu dinner tonight.

Free range halal pork and red onion freshly killed and bled sausages with gently and tastefully crushed king Edward's steamed spuds and a medley of winter organic steamed vegetables with Tesco's finest onion gravy containing lashings of flavour enhancers and preservatives.  This was washed down with a bottle of Pilastro Primitivo full bodied 14.5% deep red wine served at room temperature in Stuart crystal wine glasses.

We know how to live high on the hog in our house. It humbles me to think that not everyone can afford such posh food.

Jacket potato with tuna and walnuts.

The tuna and walnut mix is merely a tin of tuna (bits, no need for steaks), about 100g chopped walnuts and a good dollop of mayonnaise all seasoned with salt, pepper and a bit of chilli.

Monday night dinner menu:

Chunky Actifry Chips; Meatloaf (made yesterday, using -pops- recipe); and Baked Beans.

This is the first time of trying the meatloaf, so I intend to cut it into slices, then dip into egg-wash followed by plain flour.  Next they will be pan-fried to reheat.  :xwink:

We had grilled herb sausage from our local butcher, accompanied by a (shared) tin of Napolina plum tomatoes accompanied by home made toasted garlic bread and a bottle of really pleasant Mud House New Zealand Malborough cabernet sauvignon.  This was followed by a slice of Libby's rather delicious chocolate cake and a cup of Lavazza double espresso coffee with a splash of Baileys.