Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update

Boris

My test machine is now happily running this (Version 1709 Build 16299.15). I upgraded by downloading the ISO rather than letting Windows do its own update thing.

If I find any problems I'll post them :biggrin:

I installed it on my desktop and laptop last night - it took about an hour with both downloading at the same time.

I also tried to update my wife's laptop which is the same as mine - but it kept saying in had the latest version (1703). I have tried again this morning but it claims the computer is up-to-date.

So I forced it to update by clicking here : 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am currently using my desktop and have not noticed any obvious difference. I s'pose I need to go down into the Win10 cellar and unearth some new settings to adjust.

I guess the internet will soon be awash with advice on what needs to be done or avoided.

I have met a problem after the Windows update.

My desktop computer can "see" my laptop in File explorer - Network. I have full control over the shared files on the laptop.

My laptop can no longer "see" the desktop computer - only itself.

I have carefully checked all the network and file sharing settings on both computers and they are identical. I have run the network trouble shooter on both - which found nothing. I am baffled by this one-way traffic.

Just on Downloading now Alan, I will wait and see what happens. I have all my gear networked through a Netgear switch. At the moment the Laptop sees the Apple iMac and vice versa, both computers see my printer. We shall see what happens after the upgrade. 

The plot thickens.  I have now added my wife's laptop into the mix.  My desktop is connected to the router by Ethernet cable. The laptops connect by WiFi.  My home network is set up as Private.

The domain. private and public firewalls are shown in Windows Defender as on.

After running the trouble shooters again - which found nothing as far as I know, checking again all the network and sharing settings on the 3 computers and re-booting them all, the situation confuses me even more.

My desktop can see the two laptops and has full control of their files.

My wifes laptop can see the desktop and my laptop and has control of their files

My laptop can see the desktop and has full control of its files - but cannot see my wife's laptop.

Whilst I can live with that situation because I am able to copy files across all 3 machines - it is a niggle not to be able to understand it.

Sorry I can't help you there Alan. Doe's sound a bit strange though, I must admit. My Network including the Telly and Apple TV are interconnected by Gigabit Cat 6 Links and D-Links and everything can see everything. 

I spoke too soon.

I booted the computer after lunch to find that all the desktop icons had decided to move to the left of the screen. I have Relcon Icon Restore installed on the computer so it was just two clicks to restore the proper layout. I then closed down the computer and started it again. Same problem. Used Relcon again and carried on using the computer.

I opened an Excel file to add some information and when I tried to save it a window opened saying that the file cannot be saved giving a list of possible reasons one being the file is in use by another programme - which it wasn't. I can't remember the other two possible reasons but neither were relevant.

I fiddled around and ran SFC/scannow to no avail, ran system restore which completed with the statement that Restore cannot be completed and no files have been changed and finished up having to reboot the computer. Desktop icons were again moved to the left and I was able to open Excel and Word files but not save them.

I then remembered that this morning I activated the new Win 10 ransomware blocker (Open Windows Defender, right click on the shield icon in the notification area, then click open. Click Virus Threat Protection, then Virus and Threat Protection Settings  and move the Controlled folder access slider to the right)

So I switched the slider off and rebooted the computer.

The icons were now in their proper positions and I can now edit and save Office files.

Weird innit.

I have had no problems with it, I must be lucky, but as Gandalph said not worth time to download and install. I tried Edge when I first had Windows ten, and didn't like it, or mail for Windows ten. I am happy with Firefox and Thunderbug.

19 minutes ago, andsome said:

I have had no problems with it, I must be lucky, but as Gandalph said not worth time to download and install. I tried Edge when I first had Windows ten, and didn't like it, or mail for Windows ten. I am happy with Firefox and Thunderbug.

That's because you were negligent and did not activate their new ransomware protection........:hi: