• 3 eggs - free range preferably 
  • 350g Sugar
  • 2 tsp almond extract
  • 225g butter
  • 350g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder

Approx. 8 by 12-inch roasting tin / tray bake tin

Method

Preheat your oven to 160c, grease / oil your tin. 

1. Place your sultanas in a large pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and gently simmer for approximately 15 minutes until your sultanas are plump and juicy. 
  2. Meanwhile in another bowl mix the eggs, sugar and almond extract. 
  3. Drain the sultanas and put them back in the pan along with the butter to melt with the residual heat, if they need any help just put on a low heat, until all the butter is melted. 
  4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. 
  5. Now add the egg mixture and then the flour and baking powder, mix thoroughly. 
  6. Pour into your prepared tin.
  7. Bake for approx. 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
  8. Cool in the tin and when cool cut into slabs, hence the name. 

Keeps well and will also freeze.  

I cut it into 6 or 8 sections, stored in plastic boxes and freeze.

I know it looks like lots of sugar, but the flavour does not reflect the quantity.

According to my wife's calorie counter - those ingredients contain a total of 4725 calories. 

A person weighing 80 kg burns 100 calories for each mile walked at 3 mph. That cake would therefore fuel a 47 mile walk.

I eat on average 1500 calories a day - hence that cake would keep me going for 3 days.

Alternatively - if I ate it on top of my normal food - it would cause my weight to increase by one pound 5 ounces.

That delicious cake is a killer with kindness......:laughter:

Reminds me somewhat of a cake my granny used to make. The main difference being was that the sultanas were steeped in orange juice. I remember a great treat was to drink the excess juice after the soaking the fruit.

5 hours ago, -pops- said:

Reminds me somewhat of a cake my granny used to make. The main difference being was that the sultanas were steeped in orange juice. I remember a great treat was to drink the excess juice after the soaking the fruit.

I must remember that for next time.  :wink:

I don't count calories as a routine - but I do weigh myself weekly. I have a target of 75.5 kg - which has been my average weight for the past 40 years.

Together with my height of 1.82 metres this gives me a BMI of 22.9 which the pundits claim to be in the healthy range.

Despite my healthy eating and 34" waist, I have diabetes 2 which is diet controlled. I am convinced it was the result of taking simvastatin to control slightly high cholesterol 15 years ago. I now take atorvastatin but the malady lingers on.

If I find my weight drifting up to 76 kg, I just cut down on my meal portions until I get back to my target. Conversely, if my weight drops to 75  kg I can enjoy the occasional treat or an extra drink or three.

This works for me. My wife envies my self control - she goes to Slimming World whenever she feels the need to lose a pound or two because she needs an outside influence to encourage her. it always works. My encouragement is not enough and sarcasm no longer works.