Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Engaged

Irene

How wonderful to hear some happy news for a change!  They look very much in love.  :1968795078: 

I think Harry is a great chap - his mum would be very proud of him.  

Here's wishing them both a very long and happy life together!  

cheers.gif

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, Belatucadrus said:

In Stoke the pottery industry is already in overdrive creating souvenirs, which can only be a good thing. Anything to keep the saggar makers and bottom knockers busy is OK by me.

The pottery industry paid this families bills for a long time, seeing the way recession hit it wasn't pleasant.  

Are you from Stoke then?   

No, though I did work there for a while at Palissy Hammersley in Longton (What a dump), there's not so much as a brick left of the factory now. I got transferred there from Royal Worcester the parent company. Both Royal Worcester and Spode fell into the hands of asset strippers who flogged off everything that wasn't nailed down then buggered off. You can still buy the product, but it's made by Portmeirion who purchased the name and rights to use rather than the factories, they at least make the stuff in Stoke. The previous owners farmed a lot of the production out to the far east, which may have been sort of understandable if they'd maintained the quality both companies were known for, but they ended up flogging (or trying to) some appalling low grade crud ( crud wasn't the word of choice but I thought what I wanted to use would get redacted ) at premium prices. Apparently the Spode works was pretty much as they left it when the last man out locked the gate, the council has plans to develop the site most of Royal Worcester is a housing development.

6 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

No, though I did work there for a while at Palissy Hammersley in Longton (What a dump), there's not so much as a brick left of the factory now. I got transferred there from Royal Worcester the parent company. Both Royal Worcester and Spode fell into the hands of asset strippers who flogged off everything that wasn't nailed down then buggered off. You can still buy the product, but it's made by Portmeirion who purchased the name and rights to use rather than the factories, at they least make the stuff in Stoke. The previous owners farmed a lot of the production out to the far east, which may have been sort of understandable if they'd maintained the quality both companies were known for, but they ended up flogging (or trying to) some appalling low grade crud ( crud wasn't the word of choice but I thought what I wanted to use would get redacted ) at premium prices. Apparently the Spode works was pretty much as they left it when the last man out locked the gate, the council has plans to develop the site most of Royal Worcester is a housing development.

I originate from 'The Potteries' area.

...Left there when I was 19, but I still keep in touch with a number of friends from my senior school days there - we meet up occasionally.  It's amazing when we get back together; at first sight of those who I only see on rare occasions, I think "good grief. she looks old!".  But, after a very short time, we all sound the same and sort of 'look the same' - we might well be back in the classroom.  :laugh: