Time Flies

AlanHo

50 minutes ago, andsome said:

We have twenty one inches of snow in Burntwood 

How strange - you must be very unlucky - one of our friends who lives in Stonnall  - just 2.5 miles from your location - phoned me at about 11.00 am today and they had about 20 cm - the same as us.

Our power went out just before 8 last night and when they tried to turn it back on there was a hum and a flash that we could see through the curtains, quick call to 105 where the automated voice told us that there was a problem but would I still like to speak to someone, I did. The chap on the other end seemed quite interested and said that they'd have somebody come have a look, but don't hold my breath they were all rather tied up.

Thought about it for a while and decided that now was definitely the time to unlimber the generator, which spends most of its time in its box doing nowt but proved invaluable last night. One of Dads better ideas, one year we were without power for near three days, survived by running the log burner 24/7 and cooking on camping stoves, he decided never again.

Anyhow as Ronnie Corbett would have said I digress, about an hour after the call two Western power trucks turn up, I point them to the area where I think the problem is and they toddle off. I put on the wellies and warm gear and follow them, turns out I was right there were trees being dropped onto the power lines by snow causing shorts, loud bangs and killing the power for 100 locals, I do my good host bit and ply them with hot drinks. In the brief time I was there the guys received three calls, first "1000 out in Kidderminster", seconds later "Another 400 In Kidderminster" then "the line over the river at Trimpley's gone".

What a job wandering about at night in the snow chopping trees with a chainsaw by lamplight, all the time the list of jobs appears to be increasing exponentially. On top of that most of them had kids and with the schools being shut were unlikely to get the well earned night/days sleep they were due.

Some people have hard jobs.  

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:needpics.gif

I can’t get outside to take any. The temperature in Burntwood expected to drop to minus twenty tonight. We always get worse weather than anyone else.The brass monkeys round here really do loose their balls, believe me it’s true.. :santa-stuck-in-chimney-smiley-emoticon:

It snowed nearly all day yesterday but it didn't settle (ground was too warm). Last night, however, the temperature dropped to minus 8 and now the ground outside is glacial and EXTREMELY slippery. I don't think either of us will be stepping outside today. Even the dog doesn't want to go outside in this weather, she goes to the door, looks at the prospect, quickly runs outside, does her whatevers and runs back again. She had a certain resemblance to Bambi on the icy pond on going outside just now.

10 minutes ago, andsome said:

Looks friendly enough to me.:5a1dcfd5910f7_rednose:

She is except for rats, foxes, squirrels, rabbits and most other things that scurry about.

Unfortunately, she mangles things up so much that any rabbits she gets are not edible.