XP Freeze up

Guest nellie2

http://www.hardcoreware.net/forum/printthread.php?t=9094

Event 8193, Source VSS - Volume Shadow Service Copy Error. Unespected event calling routine CoCreateInstance hr=0x80040206

Event 4609, Source Event System - The COM and Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043c from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest nellie2

what I shall do is try booting on each stick of memory seperatley... just incase I have a duff stick of memory. But I don't think I do.... I shall also look for an update to my bios...... then after I have thrown the pc out of the window and jumped up and down on it a few times I shall reformat and reinstall..... then take it from there.

Thanks for the help!!!

I find it strange that there are six pages trying to help out but not a single mention of a backup (that I could find).

Please don't say you haven't a system backup - you do have, nellie, don't you?

Whenever I've had problems even slightly similar to this, out comes the backup and the whole system gets renewed from that. I just can't be bothered to sort out problems the way you are doing. I admire your patience for trying but, it certainly ain't for me.

I do a weekly full system backup to a separate hard drive in a removable caddy using DI7. I also do daily files and settings backups using the XP backup. This is on a rotating "grandfather, father, son" basis.

Brian

Guest nellie2

No it had only been on for a week.... so Im not really worried about the reformat except that I will have lost an email address from my inbox.... but that is ok, I can contact the person another way.

I tried booting on seperate sticks of memory last night, no difference. I don't know why all of a sudden the system decided to do this.... most strange. I didn't download anything or do anything strange. All I was doing prior to this was inputting a load of birthdays into Outlook!!

Anyway, the drive got repartitioned and reformatted last night in the end, I am at work right now, I shall hopefully have time tonight to finsih off reloading windows and resetting up.

Thanks for the help :)

I didn't realise it was a new machine/installation.

In all builds that I have done (quite a number) the occasional rogue machine that behaves as yours seems to be doing got completely stripped down and rebuilt in stages starting with an absolute minimum of hardware.

If the machine was a new commercial one, it would be back to its maker as quick as I could unplug it from the wall.

I didn't realise it was a new machine/installation.

In all builds that I have done (quite a number) the occasional rogue machine that behaves as yours seems to be doing got completely stripped down and rebuilt in stages starting with an absolute minimum of hardware.

If the machine was a new commercial one, it would be back to its maker as quick as I could unplug it from the wall.

Pops. I think I have my facts right. Nellie did try to upgrade to x\p a while ago but seemed to have problems with the via chipset on the board. After extensive investigation nell reverted back to 98 and the machine was stable.

Nell then purchased a separate board

The board is a K7VT4-4X-8X

here is where I got the manual from

http://www.asrock.com/support/index_manual.htm

and started a new thread on it's installation http://www.windowsforum.org/support/forum/...?showtopic=5342nells thread with a view of running x\p on the updated machine.

Now, unfortunately, she has run into more problems.

Hope I have that right Nell.

Apologies for being confused and confusing.

In these circumstances, by comments about rogue machines apply and also my comments made in my reply to poppy's threadhttp://www.windowsforum.org/support/forum/index.php?showtopic=5563 about installing an absolute minimum of anything when starting a new system.

Hope it works out OK, nellie

Brian

Guest nellie2

Yes monkeyhanger you just about have the nail on the head there.... thanks also for your input -pops- whether it is relevant or not it is nice to know that people are taking an interest. :)

I have a bit of a history with things not going quite to plan, I suppose if nothing else it makes for a bit of entertaining reading on the forum!!! :D

I will get there in the end and I know I threaten to throw it out of the window and jump up and down on it, but I love my PC to bits and can forgive it almost anything!!!!

Guest nellie2

Well I don't like to speak too soon but I have done the reformat and at the minute have just done the critical updates....... no software apart from av ..... she seems to be playing the game! Here is me keeping everything crossed!

I love my PC to bits and can forgive it almost anything!!!!

....................she seems to be playing the game!

It's a girl !? :o

Well ........ aren't they allowed to be changeable, exasperating, unstable and infuriating at times ? :rolleyes:

Guest nellie2

Just as a matter of interest..... I had problems again today with exactly the same thing happening and exactly the same errors in my error log.

After a bit of a discussion with a friend I downloaded some Nvidia drivers. I loaded the 4 in 1 drivers for my chipset and put the graphics ones in a folder for later, thinking I was going to have to reformat AGAIN.

However..... and it hasn't been very long behaving itself but..... the chipset drivers might just have done the trick.

:D :D :D