Happy Birthday, AlanHo!

Irene

Thanks everyone.  A nice start to the holiday.

We had an evening flight and didn't land in Lanzarote until 10.15 pm into a virtually deserted airport.  It was a pleasant flight on a TUI Boeing 737-800 which looked almost new in the long legroom seats in row 4.

Libby collected the luggage whilst I went straight to Auto Reisin the car hire firm we always use in the Canary Isles to pick up a SEAT Ibiza auto that had only got 539 km on the odometer. It cost 182 Euros for 8 days fully insured and zero excesses. Literally half the quotes from other hire firms.  Nice car, smooth and quiet with most of the controls in familiar places.  I always take my Garmin satnav on holiday loaded with all the favourites which guided us to the hotel. We easily beat the TUI coach that transported about 30 people to the same hotel so we had a better choice of rooms.

The hotel - H10 Rubicon Palace is superb. It is a complex of two storey accommodation blocks set in the huge landscaped grounds of the main hotel. Most of the hotels on Lanzarote are at most 2 storeys - restricted by strict planning laws. Our main hotel block is 6 storeys because it is built into a side of an extinct volcano facing the sea. The main entrance is on the 6th floor, level with the main road and the first floor is at sea level. It is thus numbered upside down. Our block of 8 rooms is 50 metres from the promenade along the sea shore with key card access to it along a short path. We are a 5 minute very pleasant stroll from the main hotel and restaurants.

We were too late for breakfast this morning having not got to bed until about 2:0 am, so have not yet tried any of the 6 restaurants available to us.  More anon - perhaps with pictures.

You will gather we have wiFi. In fact there is WiFi in all the rooms and main areas which in our room is running at 42 MB - not bad at all for a hotel in my experience.

14 hours ago, AlanHo said:

You know precisely what I meant you turd...............:laughitup:

'Er indoors hates swearing, and on one occasion many years ago, I succeeded in really upsetting her, and for once she appeared to be lost for words. She said you you you TURD and we both collapsed laughing. It certainly eased the tension.

3 hours ago, AlanHo said:

That is Dr Benjamin Spock - the authority on bringing up children

My god you're right, "What a mistake-a to make-a!" I always was getting the two confused. (unfortunately so did mother, I was raised as a Vulcan. sadly I never did get a hang of the death grip or the mind meld.)

A correction

454px-Spock_and_parents_1968.jpg

Though on second thoughts if that's the one Gandalf was referring to, he's wrong you're nothing like him at all.