High (C) Drive Utilisation after Win 10 1803 Installation

I have a Lenovo Edge 72 M/c with a 500Gb Drive.

Windows 10 Version 1803 has just installed, with 1 restart.

Looking @ my (C) Drive data it shows that the Size is 444Gb & only 24Gb is free

Clicking onto the data within the (C) drive gives the following usage figures in Gb's

Pictures 15.7/Music 2.66/Documents 6.7/Program Files 1.92/Prog Files x86 5.0/Prog Data 16.7/Users 3.2/Windows Properties 20.0/Windows Old 5.49

This adds to approx 77.37Gb

So if 444Gb are available on the drive & 24 Gb is showing as free I would have thought the above figures would sum to approx 420Gb & not the 77.37Gb that I've summed.

So I think my questions for help are:-

1 If only 24Gb of the 500Gb drive are free what is causing the high utilization?

2 Why when I sum the utilization in (C) do they come out to 77.37Gb & not 420Gb if I have only 24Gb free?

3 Is there any way of reducing the utilization of the (C) drive?

2 hours ago, Boris said:

1. You need to run a Disk clean-up https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

2. Try defragmenting your C drive.

OK I've run the Disk Clean Up & also carried out the Defrag process.

Now if I look at Properties within (C) drive it's still showing Capacity 444 Free 24.1Gb

Looking at Setting it shows that version 1803 has been installed, but I only had 1 restart so could there be a problem?

Or should I just wait 24 hours & see what transpires?

42 minutes ago, Boris said:

See what this shows

This, windirstat,  shows Win (C) 97.7Gb, comprising of Win Old 21.8/Users 32.9/Windows 15.8/Prog Files 5.0/Prog Data 16.8

See pdf attached

So why is it only showing 97.7Gb utilized when looking at Win (C) on computer shows Capacity 444 with only 24 free??

Have done a pdf of results but too large to upload!

When you run Disk Clean-up you need to also clean up System Files to get rid of your Win Old stuff

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

Disk cleanup in Windows 10

• To delete temporary files:

• Search for Disk cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.

• Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

• Select OK.

• If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.

• Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

• Select OK.

• Tick everything except Windows Upgrade Log Files

Capture.JPG

29 minutes ago, Boris said:

When you ran Disk Clean-up you need to also clean up System Files to get rid of your Win Old stuff

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

• Tick everything except Windows Upgrade Log Files

Capture.JPG

Thanks now done that & updated results show (C) capacity of 444Gb with 45.2Gb free

Questions:-

1 I would have thought that the "Old Stuff" would have been deleted when new version is installed, why does this not happen?

2 Does a (C) usage of 398.8Gb seem reasonable for Windows 10 version 1803?

3 Does a free capacity of 45.2Gb, ie 10% of the drive seem acceptable?

Now for a glass of Wine!

26 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Questions:-

1 I would have thought that the "Old Stuff" would have been deleted when new version is installed, why does this not happen?

A. So you can roll back to the old version if you have reason to

2 Does a (C) usage of 398.8Gb seem reasonable for Windows 10 version 1803?

A. No - there is something being reported incorrectly

3 Does a free capacity of 45.2Gb, ie 10% of the drive seem acceptable?

A. No - this is the result of 2.

21 hours ago, Boris said:

Just to be sure I have run the defrag again, but arrived at similar results.

If I now look at the (C) Usage/Free Summery the figures are 400/43.5Gb

But if I go through the individual elements within (C) the usage is 74.3Gb, the details of this are as follows:- Documents 6.78/Music 2.66/Picturs 15.7/Prog Files 1.91/Prog Files X86 5.02/Prog Data 16.7/Users 4.93/Windows 20.6/plus a few Mb's

This sums to a total usage of 74.3Gb as against the Summery figure of 400Gb

Also to confirm, using Windirstat:-

This shows as a summery Used 400.4Gb, Free 43.6Gb

But looking at the details the usages are:- Users 34.8/Prog Data 16.8/Windows 15.9/Prog Files 5.0/Files 3.2/Prog Files 1.8

This sums to usage of 77.86 ( including a few small items)

So the individual details by adding the usage of elements in (C) are usage of 74.3 with Windirstat showing usage of as 77.86

So why is the top level usage figure by checking on (C) showing as 400Gb?

I'm confused, are you?

You would appear to have done all the obvious things - with little return.

I would be inclined to save all important data onto an external drive or memory stick(s) - then do one of the following options :-

• If your Lenovo computer manual tells you how to recover Windows from the recovery partition - try that.

• If not - reformat the drive manually and install Windows 10 and your other software from scratch.

Then transfer your data back again.

You would probably find this much quicker and far less frustrating than to continue trying to isolate the reasons.

Have posted this problem onto the M/Soft web forum, this was the answer received:-

The new update has introduced a new problem into Windows 10 - it is no longer able to calculate space used on a folder or drive which contains sub folders, lots of users are reporting this problem since the new update.

Hopefully, Microsoft will resolve this issue in the next cumulative update . . .

So problem solved, for now!

49 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Have posted this problem onto the M/Soft web forum, this was the answer received:-

The new update has introduced a new problem into Windows 10 - it is no longer able to calculate space used on a folder or drive which contains sub folders, lots of users are reporting this problem since the new update.

Hopefully, Microsoft will resolve this issue in the next cumulative update . . .

So problem solved, for now!

On my Desktop computer which has the latest updates - adding up all folders comes to 77 GB used

File Explorer shows a total of 150 GB used

On my Laptop which has refused to load the latest updates adding up folders comes to 91 GB

File Explorer shows a total of 77 GB used

None of my drives are compressed.   I am really confused now.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...