1 rounded dessertspoon salt

1 lb (450g) ripe Italian tomatoes or any other red tomatoes

1 small red pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1 in (2.5 cm) squares

1 small yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1 in (2.5 cm) squares

1 medium onion, peeled and chopped into 1 in (2.5 cm) squares

2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 handful fresh basil leaves, or 1 x 15 g pack

Method

Prepare the courgettes and aubergine ahead of time by cutting them into 1 in (2.5 cm) dice, leaving the skins on.

Now place them in a colander and mix them with one rounded dessertspoon of salt.  Then place a plate on top of them and weigh it down with a heavy weight, making sure you have a plate underneath the colander to catch the drips.

Leave them like this for an hour so that any bitter juices can drain out.

Meanwhile, pour boiling water over the tomatoes, leave them for one minute exactly, then drain, slip the skins off and quarter the flesh.

When the aubergines and courgettes have drained, squeeze out any excess juice, then dry them thoroughly in a clean cloth.

Pre-heat the oven to its highest setting (I used 180 degrees in my fan oven).

Now arrange the tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes, peppers and onion on the roasting tray, sprinkle with the garlic, torn-up basil leaves, crushed coriander seeds and pepper.

Drizzle the oil over, then mix thoroughly to get a good coating of oil.

Roast on the highest shelf of the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and tinged brown at the edges. 

Serve straight away.

Equipment

You will need a 16½ x 12 in (42 x 30.5 cm) shallow roasting tray.

This ratatouille recipe is from Delia's Vegetarian Collection book

I make a similar thing in the Actifry. The main difference is less salt (I don't bother with the salting and draining), less oil, fewer tomatoes - which are not put in until 15 minutes before the end of cooking and the basil is put in right at the end i.e not cooked. I also use a lot more garlic - a whole bulb separated into cloves which are then peeled but otherwise left whole.

It is not an overdose of garlic by any means - it goes soft and sweet tasting with very little pungency.