Backup, What is a Backup, Make a Backup, Backup

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hello from a new member.

I thought the guide to the problems of back-up written by Powerless at the start of this thread was comprehensive and superbly written.

Recently the power unit on my computer failed, and though when replaced, all my data was safe, it caused me palpitations in case I had lost all of my data and settings. I thought, therefore, that I would invest in an external drive and back up the complete system in case of future failings.

I imagined that following the Wizard available at Start--Programs--Accessories--System Tools--Back up would be a simple matter, directing the back up to the new external hard drive (when I get it). Or do I need some extra software such as Drive Image or Norton Ghost?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thos.

Hello Thos and welcome to NeoPlanet.

For your backup, yes there is the system intrinsic to Windows but most of us here (the ones that do backups, that is) would suggest independent software such as those you suggest or, a lot of us go for Acronis.

I use Acronis without any problems both on a dedicated internal hard drive and on an external drive (I have more than one computer).

Somewhere on the Forum there is a thread from powerless stating that you can get Acronis at a very good price. I can't find it at the moment but, I'll have another look.

Edit: Found it http://forums.neoplanet.co.uk/index.php?sh...9216&hl=Acronis

Windows backup is very restricted in what it will back up to and is quite basic in its functionality. Like a lot of Windows add-ons, it is a cut down version of something better and (in my opinion) the bits they cut out are the best parts.

By all means try out the Windows system but I'm pretty sure you will find it restrictive in what it can do compared with what you want it to do.

• 9 months later...

Hello, and please forgive my intrusion, but 2 things:

(1) I congratulate and thank Chris for such formidable work to help both the begginers as well as the veterans on backing up!!! I'm keeping this thread in case I need it...though I don't think I'll be able to do it! Too computer-dumb!!! :blush:

(2) Curiosity is getting the best of me...if it's Chris who wrote that magnificent treatise, why is he called, or referred to as, pops or powerless???

Thanks. :lol: Adela

- - - and I am the other person you refer to, but not Chris or powerless, just a forum moderator who is very anxious that everyone should keep a regular backup of their computer data. I've seen too many times what happens when a backup is neglected.

Too many people have the attitude "it will never happen to me". Well the only answer to that is "it will" and if it hasn't happened yet, count yourself as lucky.

Oh thanks for the clarification, pops! And again thanks a lot for your great help on backing up. I'll yet learn how to do it for everything, emails, internet and Word, WordPerfect, etc. and do it regularly too. Thanks a thousand times!!! :) Adela

• 4 months later...

XP Pro has a feature called, well Logon/Logoff Scripts!

You can write a little script [or batch file if you like] that will perform anything you like as long as it can be done in batch.

So you could create a batch file that backs up a certain folder or your email everytime you logoff and yes...it will work when you restart or shutdown...

Start > Run > Type: gpedit.msc

Click OK.

Follow the path...

User Configuration > Windows Settings > (Scripts Logon/Logoff)

Just drop in your batch and away it goes...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using DI7 please? I've got a copy of this and reading the manual or on-line I can't see if it does incremental backups. From what I've read so far it appears it makes full backups to a limit of 5 then each one after that kicks out the oldest backup. :unsure:

Anyone using DI7 please? I've got a copy of this and reading the manual or on-line I can't see if it does incremental backups. From what I've read so far it appears it makes full backups to a limit of 5 then each one after that kicks out the oldest backup.

I use Drive Image 7 but have never used incremental backups, in fact I don't think you can do it :unsure:

I know that you can restore files and folders from a backup image (which I have used now and again) but that's not the same thing.

Thanks Curly. What I'm trying to find out is if the back-ups are just the files that have been changed or is it a complete backup each time you run the software. From what I've read, it does not do this and makes a fresh complete backup each time to a total of 5, then first backup drops off the list to be replaced by the latest.

I can see that Acronis does do incremental back-ups which I take to mean its just the one folder with the image taken first time of running then if you do a back-up each week instead of doing another separate complete one it just updates the changed files in the first folder. Can anyone confirm both methods please? :)

With Acronis the initial backup is a full version. You can continue doing a full version at each backup or do an incremental one which just records the files that have changed.

I suggest that after this first full backup, you make another full one and then do incremental backups on that. This is because when the drive space is all used up, Acronis will tell you there is no room. You then start again doing a full backup and it will automatically delete the oldest backup and its increments to make space. It will do this ad infinitum. If you did this with only having one backup then that would be deleted during the re-organisation and, if the worst happened (power cut or other failure) you could end up without a backup at all.

Hope you can follow that garble.

Thanks pops. Yes, that makes sense and I agree its best to have a full backup of a clean install with major programs, drivers etc then do another one which can be updated incremental each week. Right, I now know Acronis does this and this is what I want but I already have a copy of DI7, just can't find if it does the same. If not then I'll have to get a copy of Acronis through the forum while my machine is still fresh with minimal programs/applications on. :)

• 6 months later...

Just to add to this thread, backups are important. If you feel you want to be truly safe. This is a good practice to follow:

Hot Swap backups - make a backup that can be restored immediatley. RAID is a good idea for this, or an onsite image.

Onsite Backup - make an external backup, but keep it onsite. An external hard drive, or CD-R/DVD-R is good for this.

Offsite Backup - make an external backup, but take it away from the site. This prevents loss due to fire, flood or other.

and if you really dont want to loose anything, make your backups daily. Weekly is good, but imagine, you make backups on friday nights, but then thursday next week it crashes. You're now set back to last friday, and you probably wont be the most popular guy in the office.

• 1 year later...

This guide is almost five years old, can you believe it?

Anyway I just updated the image links as they were not displaying. Most of what is in the guide is still relevant today. We still have imaging software albeit Drive Image 7 is no longer with us. Acronis True Image is now at Version 2009 [aka version 12 in old money] and we have Vista with its built in backup, that I've never used as I don't have Vista.

I have not used a floppy disk in years at least at home.

USB flash drives are now at 64GB.

RAID [not even mentioned above] is now affordable and then there is Drobo.

Well you get the idea, I might give it a refresh in the new year.

:paperbag1:

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, once upon a time I did ask a question on this subject, but I no longer need answers yet I get notified each time someone writes in this forum. I tried to find where I can indicate to notify me ONLY when someone answers my own questions and not everyone else's, but couldn't find it.

If anyone knows, please let me know where I could indicate as explained above.

I could indicate not to notify me at all, but then when I do post a question, I won't remember to change it to notifying me...

Thanks ever so much for your help. Also looked for a "Contact" but didn't find it either.

Adela

On the make a new post page, click on "Enable email notification of replies" if it is checked and make a new post - that should stop it.

Thanks but...I don't knopw exactly what you are saying. The only place where to indicate one's preference is under Board Notification, and it gives you only to send immediately or delayed or stop sending.

Thanks anyway, I'll just stop sending me notifications. :o) Adela

Click Reply, scroll down beneath the big box that you type in and there should be three options.

Post Options

Enable emoticons?

Enable signature?

Enable email notification of replies?

Beside Enable email notifications of replies, is there a green mark inside the box?

If so, uncheck it and post.

Or, My Controls > Email Settings

and you will get these settings on the second set of options down.

Board Preferences

Include a copy of the post when emailing me from a subscribed topic

Enabling this option will send a plain text version of the post in the subscription email.

Send a notification email when I receive a new private message

Enabling this option will send an email notification of any new private messages sent to you.

Enable 'Email Notification' by default?

If ticked, choose default type:

Make sure the bottom option isn't marked and then click Amend my email settings if it is.