Defragmentation

Did a defrag of my "C" drive on Friday - part of my normal maintenance schedule but noticed that there were five red sections and numerous blue white stripes (W XP) remaining after it told me it had finished.

Yesterday I wanted to do some video editing and all I got was crashing, dropped frames and dreadful sound interference. This is often a sign of the hard drive needing defragging (there are other reasons, not relevant to this post) so I defragged again, even though it told me I didn't need to do it.

The analysis chart looked more or less as it had done immediately after the same process the previous day and the message flagged up again that the drive didn't need doing. Nevertheless, I carried on. The defrag took just as long to complete as it did the previous day and this time it did remove the errant red bars and consolidate the blue - not completely but much more so than before.

Why is this?? Why didn't it do the job the first time?

I carried on to complete the video stuff with no problem after that. Note the video files weren't the cause - they are on another drive, it is only the program (Pinnacle Studio 9) that is on the main drive.

My message is: If you are not happy with your defrag (look on the analysis chart when it's done), close then re-open the program and go through the process again. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ellas

yeah I found perfect disk does a much better boot defrag and then prompts you to do a normal defrag after,plus diskeeper seems to drag the system down with the resources it uses,pops try the trial of perfect disk.

I tried the three times defrag and, yes, it does a little more each time.

Time consuming though.

I've downloaded the PerfectDisk trial version and will give it a go when I've next done some video work (tomorrow).

I said in my top post here that my video files are on another disk which is true but, it appears that the manipulation of the files is done on the "C" disk and then transferred to the other drive for storage. I think this is the cause of so much fragmentation - Windows just sticking work wherever it feels like it and not in a logical sequence (computers? logical? :unsure: )

Unable to confine my curiosity, I downloaded and ran PerfectDisk.

Well, it ran the analysis and told me it recommended various things which I then instructed it to carry out. It was just as if I hadn't done a Windows defrag at all!!

After 35 minutes it had completed its task and my machine is zooming along like it's not done since I built it.

This program has made a real and very positive difference to my machine and I will certainly buy it and recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Thanks for the links, nellie and ellas :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sorry to keep going on about this but I really can'te get over how much improved this machine is now - after its PerfectDisk treatment.

As I intimated above, I have always done regular defrags using the inbuilt facility of Windows but I've now come to realise that, like so many Windows add-ons, it does the job, but only just, and an independent program is very much better.

Big :) all round, I think.

I think it's initially slower because it has a lot of sorting out, and its Smart Placement and all the other speciality bits and bobs. I'm expecting that subsequent runs will be quicker.

It may be that you won't find as big a difference as I did after the less than effective Windows defragger but, I'm certainly a convert.

It can also be scheduled to work on a regular basis and it seems to work OK in the background as well.

I think it's initially slower because it has a lot of sorting out, and its Smart Placement and all the other speciality bits and bobs. I'm expecting that subsequent runs will be quicker.

It may be that you won't find as big a difference as I did after the less than effective Windows defragger but, I'm certainly a convert.

It can also be scheduled to work on a regular basis and it seems to work OK in the background as well.

I've got to have a good look at it yet, and sort out what it all means. It is certainly more complicated than diskkeper. The paid for version of that is £19, any idea how much this costs?

Still running first time after about 35 mins.

Mine ran that time AFTER three successive Windows defrags immediately beforehand. It certainly looked on the graphics that it had a lot to do.

Just done the boot time defrag. Could be a bit scary for some as it drops to a DOS type screen after its required reboot but, it does its work, reboots and everything is AOK.

There is a definite improvement in the whole machine and, as a tester, I did a video transfer/conversion from analogue tape to DVD last night. I achieved something I've never had before - not one single dropped frame. Worth it for that alone.

Interesting post -pops-. Must admit I have always defraged three times in a row with XP Pro. The first time was out of curiosity to see if it would remove a thin white band between two large blue bands. [Technical eh?] :lol:

I was surprised that it did so ran a third time and noticed more compression so have carried on doing this since. Not a big problem for me as the first defrag takes about 4 minutes, second 2 minutes and the third a matter of 15-30 seconds.

I was reading an article the other day though that suggest defraging is not only not necessary with XP but can in fact slow down the system. [something to do with NTFS working different than FAT 32] I will try to find the damn thing again and post a link. :unsure:

[Edit] found the article. May be of some help. :unsure:

http://www.techbuilder.org/article.htm?ArticleID=47626

Guest ellas

interesting but like pops I do a lot of video editing and believe me the video editing programs make a mess,fair enough if your not doing video editing but otherwise the system slows to a crawl,I agree about the partitions though I used partition manger and drive image on one of my machines it has slowed down especially on shutdown and start up.

Djohn, this utility (PerfectDisk) has certainly helped me a lot since I installed it yesterday.

I've only recently started doing video, mainly to help my son out and like ellas says, it makes an awful mess of a hard disk, even if the files are eventually placed on another drive.

I've just come back on line after rendering another DVD from analogue tape. Not only was it quicker than usual, it had no dropped frames at all in the capture.

I probably wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't been getting problems with the video stuff and just stuck to my normal Windows XP Pro defrag. As it is now, I'm so impressed, I going to buy the program when the trial period is over.