Defragmentation

When I did my first defrag with Perfect Disk there was a marked improvement, especially after a boot time defrag on my C drive. However after attempting a boot time defrag on my F drive where I keep my photo's and some photo editing programs, the computer said it had failed to start. I selected last known good configuration and got the same result several times. I had to enter safe mode and select a system restore point. Norton System Doctor tells me it has corrected problems but that the drive now contains 136 KB in bad areas. Can anyone tell me if I am likely to get more major problems with this drive? Should I already be considering replacing it and ghosting everything onto a replacement? It is only 15 months old. Is it possible that Perfect Disc caused this problem, or is it a coincidence? It is a Maxtor 60KB 6Y060L0. Although it may just be a coincidence, I won't be chancing the program again. The F drive does NOT contain the operating system.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

andsome, did PerfectDisk recommend a boot time defrag on your F drive?

On my systems it only suggested a boot time defrag on my C drives. Not I'm talking more than one machine here, I don't have two C drives :D

I'm not expert on defragging by any means but I would think, like Nel, that there is a problem with the disk itself. Perhaps the defragger just highlighted this by not being able to do its job properly.

It is unlikely to be the defrag program, it just puts your files back together.  A hard disk problem is just that, a problem with the hard disk... unfortunate co-incidence I would say. :(

Thanks for the reply. Should I worry about this, and replace the disk, or should I just carry on? As I said everything appears to be running OK at present.

You could run the Maxtor drive test from http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

It will run various tests on the drive and tell you if there are any problems with it.

I've just had my three week old 80 gig Maxtor fail  :(

Many thanks for the link. I ran the test and it claimed to have found a problem and repaired it. The puzzling thing is that when I ran it another couple of times, it repeated this message claiming to have found a problem and corrected it. A subsequent Norton Disc Doctor scan said that NO problems were found on Drive f, but still showed 136 KB in bad areas. Can anyone further enlighten me on what the implications are now.

Was it the same problem that it came up with repeatedly or different ones?

Same problem. As I say it claimed to have repaired it, but subsequent scans still showed it. I can only assume that it has probably enabled the problem area to be bypassed, but don't know enough about the insides of computers to know if this is possible. As I said, Norton Disk doctor still shows 136 KB in bad areas, but says that there are no problems on the disk.

andsome, did PerfectDisk recommend a boot time defrag on your F drive?

On my systems it only suggested a boot time defrag on my C drives. Not I'm talking more than one machine here, I don't have two C drives :D

I'm not expert on defragging by any means but I would think, like Nel, that there is a problem with the disk itself. Perhaps the defragger just highlighted this by not being able to do its job properly.

Sorry pops I missed answering this one. I did a boot time defrag purely out of choice, just to give the program a good testing.

Sorry pops I missed answering this one.  I did a boot time defrag purely out of choice, just to give the program a good testing.

Hmmmm.

Regarding what you allow the program to do, I let it analyse the drive(s) and then carry out the recommendations in the analysis report (bottom of the page). Only on the C drives did it recommend a boot defrag.

Even so, I still think that it could only be the drive failing and is independent of the PerfectDisk which, as nel says, will only re-arrange files.

Thanks Pops. Maybe one of the experts later on will tell me whether in view of the fact that Disk Doctor says there are no problems, I should carry on with the present disk. I have checked all my photo's and also editing programs on that disk and all are still OK with NO corruption.

I've just realised the extent of your bad sectors, andsome: 136 KB in total of 60 GB. As a fraction of the whole disk, this amount is so tiny that I most certainly wouldn't bother with it.

andsome did you run the xp checkdisk on that drive.

XP check disk is in three scans and does not as far as I can tell, check the free space. It always ended up saying that there were problems on the drive. Norton Disc doctor started off in the first instance telling me that the drive was dirty. After a full scan it said that there had been problems, but that they had been corrected. The report stated that there were 136 KB in bad areas. The Maxtor test stated that there were errors, but said that it had corrected them. However there are still the same number of KB's in bad areas. As I said I wonder if the Maxtor test has created a bypass so that the bad are does not cause any problem, I don't know if this is possible. Certainly everything is running perfectly. I am completely puzzled as to what can have caused the problem in the first place.

andsome, if my experience is anything to go by, I certainly believe some software can give you bad sectors, or at least bring them to light, a while back my son bought a game (the xfiles funnily enough) and every time we tried to install it we ended up with bad sectors. The good news is, this hard drive is still going strong and in fact about 5 months later I deleted the partition, made a new one and formatted the drive and it dosen't show any damaged sectors at all now (I still won't put the Xfiles on my PC though)

I have just uninstalled Perfect Disk. It still stayed behind in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, and needed a second attempt. I used Reg Supreme and deleted all references to the program in the registry. I then ran Start/Search and found about a dozen files and deleted them. Talk about 'hard to remove', I don't doubt that it can do a good defragmentation, and it was possibly a coincidence that I had problems after using it, but I certainly won't try it again, I'll stick with Diskeeper.

Sorry you had the problems with PerfectDisk, andsome. I feel a bit responsible by being so enthusiastic about it.

I'm certainly going to keep it.

I think, like you, that it could well have been a coincidence that your drive suffered but I fully understand your reluctance to trust it now.

• 3 weeks later...

-pops-

Its now some 3 weeks since the last post - are you still happy with PerfectDisk ?

I personally use Diskeeper 8, but having been right through this thread I am now planning to do a comparative test of DK against PerfectDisk and also against O&O Defrag V6 Professional ( http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.html )

because of this http://www.oo-software.com/en/reviews/oode...lus_012004.html

Anyone got any knowledge of O & O ?

Boris

Yes I'm still very happy with PerfectDisk and, as the trial will soon expire, I'm going to buy it.

I've used it a lot since starting to do video work for my son. This really messes up the "C" drive even though I'm using another drive for the video files and storage.

Sorry you had the problems with PerfectDisk, andsome. I feel a bit responsible by being so enthusiastic about it.

I'm certainly going to keep it.

I think, like you, that it could well have been a coincidence that your drive suffered but I fully understand your reluctance to trust it now.

No problems. It may or may not be coincidence. These things happen with computers. Some programs suit some computers but not others.

Guest Drovers Dog

:P

Just a couple of points!

1. Before setting up for Dual Boot Win98SE/XP Home both on FAT32, I used have the Devil's own job defragging Win98SE, I have found that if I defrag my C: Drive, where Win98SE is located, by using XP Home through Windows Explorer, it does it easily and perfectly every time!!

2. Having lost a couple of Hard Drives, with almost disasterious loss of Data, I would suggest to anyone who even suspects Bad Sections on the HDD, purchase a new HDD, and use the Suspect HDD just for Storage, as a Slave Drive!! When the HDD goes it normally gives little warnings first, such as bad sections, but then just GOES!! It is not a nice feeling!!

It is always a good idea to Ghost an Image at least once a month onto a CD, just in case!! JMHO!!

:censored: :D

I personally use Diskeeper 8, but having been right through this thread I am now planning to do a comparative test of DK against PerfectDisk and also against O&O Defrag V6 Professional ( http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.html )

because of this      http://www.oo-software.com/en/reviews/oode...lus_012004.html

Anyone got any knowledge of O & O ?

Any word on this yet - O&O Defrag V6 Professional.

Was having a look at it today

Guest ellas

I've tried O&O Defrag V6 Professional and was not impressed,caused problems with the boot defrag,I have perfect disk on 1 computer and diskeeper on another,while I feel perfect disk is better I would not recommend anyone ditch a paid for diskeeper for perfect disk.