Do you or don't you.........

deuces wild

....celebrate Mothers Day in the UK?

It is tomorrow (Sunday May 8th) here in the States.

Dads usually get stuck buying the gift(s) if the kids are not yet holding down a job.

My wife is getting a full day at a local spa, including massage, facial, manicure, pedicure and lunch (with champagne). She should be thrilled when the kids give it to her tomorrow.

I am also making her the meal of her choice.....she chose seafood kabob (cooked on the outside grill) including shrimp, scallops, crab meat, mushrooms, onion and peppers.

My daughter is coming home tomorrow making it all the more special. :)

In Belgium its also Mothers Day.

Not that big presents though... (those are saved for Bdays). Normally children give some selfmade things. And you can see a lot of fathers hurrying to the flowershop to get a bouquet. :flowers:

As said - it was in March. My two always buy me something nice and usually some flowers too. We go out for a nice meal sometimes too, but as they live a fair way off it's not always possible.

:)

I am led to understand that the celebration (that was in March this year) is has some religious significance connected with the Christian moveable calendar and is correctly called "Mothering Sunday".

The celebration of today in the USA and other places is, I am told, an invention of the greetings card manufacturers and others of that ilk (purveyors of the unnecessary and mostly unwanted) to persuade people to part with money for no good reason.

I emphasise that I have no feelings on this matter at all, just passing on information I have received.

I am led to understand that the celebration (that was in March this year) is has some religious significance connected with the Christian moveable calendar and is correctly called "Mothering Sunday".

The celebration of today in the USA and other places is, I am told, an invention of the greetings card manufacturers and others of that ilk (purveyors of the unnecessary and mostly unwanted) to persuade people to part with money for no good reason.

I emphasise that I have no feelings on this matter at all, just passing on information I have received.

More info here.

Mothering Sunday

Thanks for the link, andsome. I was wrong in the detail about the "inventer" but the result is the same - worshipping of the great god profit, specifically by the purveyors of the unnecessary and the unwanted (Clintons being a shining example, as noted by expertec).

Mothers day is the day when the people behind Clintons buy new cars.... and houses.... and boats... :rolleyes:

I have been looking for something that costs a quid and you could sell thousands of for ages, but the markets are all taken :D

Bunch of flowers for me if I'm lucky!  But daffodils are my favourite flower so I love to get a big bunch of those.   :)

Sorry couldn`t get daffs, but i chucked in a flutterby and two bee`s as well :D

Mothers day is the day when the people behind Clintons buy new cars.... and houses.... and boats... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, andsome. I was wrong in the detail about the "inventer" but the result is the same - worshipping of the great god profit, specifically by the purveyors of the unnecessary and the unwanted (Clintons being a shining example, as noted by expertec).

Never mind it's Fathers Day in June, same Idea to persuade people to part with money for no good reason  ;)

You all have nobody to blame other than yourselves :(

I am now 41, and for the past 20 odd years, I have always made my own mothers/fathers day cards and gifts. Not only do I not waste money on needless junk, but I (and I believe my parents) get far more joy from the giving of these gifts than if I were to simply pop into a shop and give the matter no thought.

I should also add, why only give a card or gift to your parents on the respective "official" day? I can guarantee that most mothers will always appreciate a bunch of flowers or a nice home baked cake :D

What is wrong with buying a gift for your mother or wife on Mothers Day?? :huh:

We never go to the extreme as we did this time on the gift. But she always said she would like to be spoiled with a day at a spa....the time was right. It was a win win with it though as it may help with my wife's neurological condition in her hands and legs. She absolutely loved the gift....it brought her to tears of happiness.

That one moment alone made the gift worth it. :) :wub:

Well, I'm 20 and not quite married yet, but my mom did rather enjoy the dozen roses sent to her office (she has to work on Mothers Day :angry: ) and very much enjoyed the trip to Charles Penzone (a Day Spa) :flowers: after she got off work...

Well, I'm 20 and not quite married yet, but my mom did rather enjoy the dozen roses sent to her office (she has to work on Mothers Day :angry: ) and very much enjoyed the trip to Charles Penzone (a Day Spa) :flowers: after she got off work...

Good on ya, spoil her rotten cos when she`s not there you will wish you had. :flowers:

Yeah, I know. We just have some Scrooges here that think differently. :D  :lol:

No I wouldn't say Scrooges... but quite a lot of people resent the fact that these 'special days' are hyped by the card manufacturers and other retailers in a bid to make money out of us.

Its the thought that goes into a gift that counts... whether it is a home made card that has taken you time and care... or a lovely day out that has been arranged because you know how much she would love it.