New "key" mandatory in Windows for updates

Chris

Get ready to register with Microsoft if you want to update your Windows operating system.

In a shift toward greater monitoring of personal computer systems and potentially less copying of software, Microsoft will require users to let the company place a software "key" on their systems if they want the free, regular system updates it provides.

Privacy advocates are concerned, but Microsoft said the system is anonymous and won't be used for anything other than verifying the operating systems' authenticity.

More | Here

I install a PCI raid card, a new graphics card and a new hard drive.

M$ Office won't work until I phone M$, I have to phone as the internet option will not work........rang them and got a new code etc... took 5mins I guess.

But why should I ???

No problem with my OEM XP, just M$ Office. Just as well I have a phone.

Pain in the bum Microsoft....pick on someone else....customer relations? ...spit.

I don't blame Microsoft one bit for trying to prevent piracy of their software.

If you have to make a phone call once in a while - and surely it must be very infrequently that your system changes enough to require a new key - I consider it to be a reasonable and fair price for being licensed to use their software.

When you buy a software license there are clearly spelled out terms and conditions - hence you know the rules up front - activation being one of them. The solution is in your own hands - if you don't agree with the terms then don't buy the goods.

This is possibly why some people are turning to Linux and Star Office etc.

I do not quite understand why you have to do that over the phone; isn't there an online option?

Activation can be done via the internet and phone.

If you upgrade hardware on an OEM version of XP, it may tell you that you cannot use windows until you phone Microsoft for a new key.

Internet Activation is not an option if this happens.

With all the software piracy around it's no surprise that Microsoft have hardened their line on piracy.

They estimate that 1 in 3 copies is a pirate copy meaning they lose billions every year in lost revenue :o

I know they can afford it but that's not the point as it's still theft.

I have no problem with having to make the occasional phone call (which is a freephone number anyway).

You will be ok if you keep anuto updates on..... plus if you work for the NHS you get Free M$ software for home use.

any1 here work for the NHS?

Plus just buy a OEM version with a cheap mouse its classed as peripheral hardware so just buy that along with your OEM Win XP and all is ok

I went on to Windows update last night. It told me that my Windows version needed to be verified. I clicked at the appropriate time/place and after a few seconds it told me that it had been verified.

This was the same on all three machines. I'm going down to do the procedure on my son's business machines today.

From my experience so far, it seems to be an awful lot of fuss being created about very little.

Perhaps I have the advantage that, by building my own machines, I am not tied to mysterious (and perhaps damaging) hidden additions put there by the commercial supplier.

I'm not expecting any problems with my son's machines either as I build them for him but, I'll let you know later.

I tried to verify my Windows at the MS Windows site and got the following error message:

[Error number: 0x8024001E]

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)

Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)

To make sure these services are running:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type services.msc and then click OK.

3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.

4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.

5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.

7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.

8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.

10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.

11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.

I tried the solutions offered but still get the same message. My windows came with my Dell computer and is a bona fide copy with key.

I tried verifying my work computer (a Dell laptop) and got the same error message.

I wish I could find a way around this as I am at my wits end. :angry: