WHY NOT SACK A MANAGER?

andsome

This woman is being sentenced to death for want of NHS money. The service is overloaded with overpaid managers. WHY NOT SACK ONE and give her the treatment that she needs?

Click here

To be serious, you really cannot run an organisation in that way. Managers and admin staff were appointed to relieve doctors and nurses of non-medical work and there should be, and maybe already are, regular O & M studies to determine the correct staffing levels.

The body which determines which drugs should be made available should be open, transparent and give reasons why any particular drug is refused. On safety grounds, there should be no argument. On cost grounds, it may be hard to accept, but you have to work within a budget. If that budget is to be increased should be a matter for national finance, bearing in mind all other calls on the treasury and the willingness of the people to accept taxes.

Sorry, but the panacea of indiscriminate sacking is not an option.

Thos.

Please the NHS is very badly managed, or not managed as the case may be, but as this drug has not been passed as safe in this country maybe this should be taken into account.

It has been approved in many other countries. This country is always way behind. Quite a few people here are already on the drug and reaping enormous benefit from it. If she is willing to take the risk then so be it, she will die in any case without it.

Maybe the MANGERS should have another meeting about it and get the kettle on and the biscuits out.

Please the NHS is very badly managed, or not managed as the case may be, but as this drug has not been passed as safe in this country maybe this should be taken into account.

In life or death cases, what better guinea pigs can you get than people who are willing to give it a go to extend their life ?

I don't disagree with dadyassa, in fact I agree, but just because someone else dose something doesn't make it right. If we did as other countries and let the companies that make the drugs dictate when a drug is safe then we would be in all sorts of trouble.

The decision has been reversed by the health trust But was it as a a result of sound medical judgement or fear of the Health Minister getting snooty about the bad publicity and will she be approving the PCT more funding for pulling her buns out of the fire ?

Pitty about the people who are going to die because Herceptins made a bloomin great hole in the budget.

As in all things there are two sides to this and I'd hate to be on either of them. My sympathies to all.

When ever you go to a NHS Hospital you see lots of people (Managers or admin) wandering arround cluching bits of paper and apparently doing little else. Whilst there are never enough Nurses, Doctors or even proper cleaners to provide the level of service required.

Even in A & E there is always a long wait even for emergencies.

Also the cost of some drugs seem to be all out of proportion to production costs. I know that research is expensive but if the drug gets used enough, at a resonable price, these costs should be easily recovered, which is not the case if they doe not get used due to the cost.

Edit my spelling

In life or death cases, what better guinea pigs can you get than people who are willing to give it a go to extend their life ?

REMEMBER THALIMOMIDE

Thos.

There is a very interesting insight into the finances of the NHS in todays issue of Private Eye. It explains in a very lucid way just how all the much vaunted PFI deals will totally destroy any semblance of the NHS as we know it, and finally give the patient "choice". Sadly that choice wil be "pay up" or "you're on your own"!! It looks as though many of the "Flagship" hospitals, now under constuction, may never open. They will have so much inbuilt debt that will not be able to fund the reason for their (publicly claimed) existance.

What was that about the lunatics and the asylum??

REMEMBER THALIMOMIDE

Thos.

YES but then no one was told 'This is not fully tested and may give problems' and an option of not having it. They were just given the pills to relieve their problems (usually pregnacy problems) without any warning

This is why most pills now come with a list of possible side effects, real or imaginary, in the leaflet in or on the box

YES but then no one was told 'This is not fully tested and may give problems' and an option of not having it. They were just given the pills to relieve their problems (usually pregnacy problems) without any warning

This is why most pills now come with a list of possible side effects, real or imaginary, in the leaflet in or on the box

You are right of course, and may it never happen again. My point, though, is that safety should be paramount in the use of drugs especially in considering long term effects.

By the way, I am sorry for the mis-spelling of Thalidomide above. I should have checked.

Thos.

Of course safety is of paramount importance. The problem with thalidomide is that it was for a non serious complaint, and should have been more fully tested. In the case of the woman that I drew your attention to, she would probably have been dead BEFORE the drug could obtain approval, therefore it HAD to be her choice. The dug has already gained approval in any case in many parts of the world. The health service and hospitals always ran perfectly well without all these overpaid managers and committees. I am so glad that she is being given a chance of life now.