Firefox 1.5 released

Redhat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Pat. :)

I installed it yesterday from the Mozilla site and it took my Spellbound off with a, "Not compatible message"

All fixed now. When you install Firefox over the top of the previous version [At least with this latest version] it takes Spellbound out and you need to download and install again. :)

Erm! Not quite solved this one yet. I've got Spellbound downloaded and installed again with the UK language, but when writing a long reply I used to get a scroll bar in the top window so that as it checked down the text it would move down to show the word highlighted.

With this version, once its off the top screen its all guess work because not only does the text not scroll down, but there is no scroll bar either. :(

I have not noticed much change to be honest.... If you want to know what is different, check out the Change Log (unofficial)

I have read the above link and although there are numerous differences between the 2 versions, they are unnoticeable to the average Firefox user like myself.

I would also think that this latest version (1.5) is more secure than the previous 1.0.7 version?

Erm! Not quite solved this one yet. I've got Spellbound downloaded and installed again with the UK language, but when writing a long reply I used to get a scroll bar in the top window so that as it checked down the text it would move down to show the word highlighted.

With this version, once its off the top screen its all guess work because not only does the text not scroll down, but there is no scroll bar either. :(

Here is how to install SpellBound after a Firefox upgrade:

SpellBound should now be working normally. As you can see below, I have scrollbars.

post-1524-1133601496_thumb.gif

[Edited to add]: I see now what you mean. At first the scrollbars display fine, but after some actions the scrollbars disappear! :( indeed!

Other extension problems: AdBlock causes Flash content not to be displayed.

Solution: remove AdBlock, and install AdBlock Plus from here http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/; locate the Install link at the bottom of the last post.

Test (Flash content): http://virgindigital.com/eymm.htm (the page is just black with the old AdBlock extension).

I still do not understand what could possibly be the difference between the US version of Firefox, and the British version...? Maybe someone can explain it to me...

(Yes, I know the differences between American and British English, but on this browser I see only the following:

'File' menu containing 'New Window', 'New Tab', 'Open Location', 'Open File', 'Close Window', 'Close Tab', 'Save Page As', 'Save Frame As', 'Send Link', 'Page Setup', 'Print Preview', 'Print', 'Import', 'Work Offline', 'Exit'.

'Edit' menu containing 'Undo', 'Redo', 'Cut', 'Copy', 'Paste', 'Delete', 'Select All', 'Find in This Page', 'Find Again'.

'View' menu containing 'Toolbars', 'Status Bar', 'Sidebar', 'Stop', 'Reload', 'Text Size', 'Page Style', 'Character Encoding', 'Page Source', 'Full Screen'.

'Go' menu containing 'Back', 'Forward', 'Home', 'History'.

'Bookmarks' menu containing ''Bookmark This Page', 'Bookmark All Tabs', 'Manage Bookmarks'.

'Tools' menu containing 'Web Search', 'Read Mail', 'New Message', 'Downloads', 'Extensions', 'Options'.

'Help' menu containing 'Help Contents', 'For Internet Explorer Users', 'Release Notes', 'Report Broken Website', 'Check for Updates', 'About Mozilla Firefox'.

Is it about the casing...?

• 4 weeks later...
Here is how to install SpellBound after a Firefox upgrade:

SpellBound should now be working normally. As you can see below, I have scrollbars.

post-1524-1133601496_thumb.gif

A bit late I know, but I've only just got round to upgrading to FF1.5. When my smell chucker didn't work, I was glad I could come back here for some help. Thanks Pat :)

(btw, afaik, the diffs are things such as the search engines are uk locale.)

• 4 weeks later...

Update 1.5.0.1 is now available for Firefox. FF 1.5 users should update automatically, however the 1.5.0.1 install can also be downloaded from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...leases/1.5.0.1/. And yes, the en-GB version is also available.

February 1, 2006. Firefox 1.5.0.1 is a stability and security update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.

Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5.0.1:

• Improved stability.
  • Improved support for Mac OS X.
  • International Domain Name support for Iceland (.is) is now enabled.
  • Fixes for several memory leaks.
  • Several security enhancements.

The Burning Edge has more detailed lists of notable bug fixes.

See http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.0.1.html for full details.

Unfortunately, again Spellbound does not work after installing FF 1.5.0.1. I will try to work it out in the Mozilla forum, so if you use Spellbound, I advise to wait with the 1.5.0.1 update until this is resolved.

And P.S. to Andsome :0 : this is not a Firefox problem, but a problem with an extension that is written and maintained by other people.

• 3 weeks later...

After suffering problems with Sun Java and IE and Opera, but no probs at all with Firefox, I have gone over to using Firefox as my preferred browser in the last couple of days.

However, I ran Ewido just now and it found 6,557 trackers, ads and other such malware - almost all of which was associated with Firefox!

I thought non IE browsers were supposed to be more secure?

I want to stick with Firefox, but can anyone advise how to seal the fox's ass please?

Jayno :blink:

Yes, they were associated with Firefox. Perhaps now I've cleaned them out and made sure all my other stuff is updated (NAV, Spyblaster, Ad-Aware etc.), I should just run the fox for a few days then do an Ewido scan again to see what shows up?

Thanks Team

J