The end of Spam?

catgate

But this is UK only and I understand a high percentage of spam originates in the US of A, so successful cases in the UK may reduce spam originating here, it will require some iron political will in America to have any real effect in world terms.

It shows it can be done though.

Thos.

I no longer receive Spam.

I assume you are using some sort of email filtering program. If so, I have found them to be more work then simply hitting the delete key once a spam email message is received.

I was getting more than 100 per day. My e-mail address was easily duplicated by auto diallers. After changing my e-mail address to one which is gobbledygook, I no longer get any spam. I do use Mailwasher just in case, but I just don't get spam now. My e-mail address used to be [email protected] This was an easy one for auto diallers, since changing the address, as I say NO PROBLEM.

I assume you are using some sort of email filtering program. If so, I have found them to be more work then simply hitting the delete key once a spam email message is received.

For my private account, my ISP provides spam filtering that is 100% effective. I never get any spam messages, despite having a very esay email address. It doesn't cost me any work, but I have to pay a few Yen per month.

On my work account, where I used to receive several hundred spam messages per day, I use Cloudmark Desktop filter, which eliminates 99.99% of all spam. Additionally we have recently installed IMF on our Exchange Server, which reduced the spam that ends up on my desktop to around 4 a day (which is then promptly handled by Cloudmark Desktop).

It is absolutely no work for me, and it shields me from having to read spam subject lines, and sometimes even having to open some message in case of a doubt.

Regarding the original subject, I do not believe for a moment that legal action may in any way reduce spam. Spammers in the UK may have been safe until now, but they will quickly learn how to hide their tracks, hide behind servers in China or Brazil, or spew their filth from infected spambots. US spammers have been doing this for years, and despite federal anti-spamming laws, only one single spammer has ever been tried in court.

No, sorry, until we invent a completely new email system, spam is here to stay.

Filters always worry me somewhat. I don't see how they can guarantee not to filter out genuine mail with 100% certainty. That's why I prefer Mailwasher, a quick look on the server takes only seconds. All mail from previously accepted senders is already marked FRIEND, while mail from previously deleted senders is already blacklisted ready for deletion.

What is the difference with a quick look at new messages on OE or Mailwasher? I don't get it.

The whole point is that with Mailwasher you can view the e-mails while they are still on the server. You can also read them in plain text, and they have still not landed in OE. If your AV is only an hour or two out of date for the very latest virus, you may end up with it on your computer if you have downloaded the e-mails. With Mailwasher, any that you don't like can be deleted off the server, and the senders can be blacklisted. As far as I'm concerned it is better that they never reach OE or Outlook in the first place.

What is the difference with a quick look at new messages on OE or Mailwasher? I don't get it.

The whole point is that with Mailwasher you can view the e-mails while they are still on the server. You can also read them in plain text, and they have still not landed in OE. If your AV is only an hour or two out of date for the very latest virus, you may end up with it on your computer if you have downloaded the e-mails. With Mailwasher, any that you don't like can be deleted off the server, and the senders can be blacklisted. As far as I'm concerned it is better that they never reach OE or Outlook in the first place.

I can do exactly the same thing with OE. I tried Mailwasher and did not understand the point of it........and still don't.

You will not get a virus simply by having the email automatically previewed in OE............or at least I am told. :biggrin:

I can do exactly the same thing with OE. I tried Mailwasher and did not understand the point of it........and still don't.

You will not get a virus simply by having the email automatically previewed in OE............or at least I am told. :biggrin:

If you download it you have it.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Simply previewing an email in OE, can possibly allow a virus on to your PC, and also your privacy can be compromised when reading html emails.

The above is why the recommended setting for OE is Preview pane off

My bad. Thanks Mark.

I haven't used OE in a long time, so I don't know if the newest updates for OE still show images on preview. If it does show images, then this may confirm your email address, and show spammers that you actually read their spam. It will confirm you as a "good" customer, and make you target for much more spam.

In this view Andsome's method is far better. The other parts of mailwasher I don't need; Outlook has its own safe sender's list, and blacklisting spammers' addresses does never work, as they are always forged.

Blacklisting and blocking originating IP addresses works, but this needs to be done on the mail server side.

I have not had a problem with OE to date (as far as I know :rolleyes: ). I also have plenty of programs in place to guard against virus's, spyware, malware and all the other *#@p.

I think there comes a time where you think wearing 2 belts, 3 suspenders and nails pounded directly into your body is enough to keep your pants from falling down. I am at that point with the protection on my computer.

I will not cowtow to any more threats. If I get infected, I will restore. Bring it on! :mad:

Umm....... :unsure: on second thought........is there a more secure email program that offers easy access to newsgroups? :biggrin:

spam is here to stay unfortunately;

I agree with Mailwasher for keeping spam at bay and off ones machine ; I got converted to OE some while ago at the nudging persistance of some cyberites; mailwasher allows me to check mails on server and chuck out unwanted stuff; must admit seems to be less spam now ; I do somewhat completely disagree with previewing suspect mails in OE; I think that once the mail is on your machine , if it is infected or whatever, you are not safe; best to keep it away from the machine ; that is my opinion :rolleyes:

If you don't like or want Mailwasher (like me where it played up once) use ePrompter. Somewhat different to Mailwasher but, in the end, it does the same job i.e. allows you to look at your mail before downloading into your machine.

I've used it for years without problems. It automatically updates.

Check up to eight email accounts - all the usual ones.

Get it from http://www.eprompter.com/