TFT monitor

Twice in the last few days, my TFT monitor screen has suddenly gone black, the on switch has stayed on. Switching the switch off then back on restored the picture. If it gets worse are these monitors worth repairing, or is this even possible? Or do I have to prepare myself for the job of looking for a new one? It is a 15" GNR F153, and is exactly three years old.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It had a two year warranty. I have contacted the importers, and they do not offer out of warranty repairs. They gave me a telephone number of a repair agent. They too do not offer out of warranty repairs and gave me another number. This company also do not offer out of warranty repairs. I will contact the shop who supplied it next and see what they suggest. I think it may well pay me to consider a replacement if there is any more deterioration.

It had a two year warranty. I have contacted the importers, and they do not offer out of warranty repairs. They gave me a telephone number of a repair agent. They too do not offer out of warranty repairs and gave me another number. This company also do not offer out of warranty repairs. I will contact the shop who supplied it next and see what they suggest. I think it may well pay me to consider a replacement if there is any more deterioration.

I think you are right. It would give you the opportunity to consider a bigger screen.

Thos.

My Philips TFT went the same way Andsome and then just ended up black all the time after a couple of weeks. They did a swap out as it was about 18 months old.

Prepare now to get yourself another TFT before it finally dies. Buy a new one and look for a 3 year swap out warranty.

Thanks folks. I did pay over £200 for this 15 inch at the time, and prices are much lower now. I have pressed the on off switch very firmly several time this morning before switching on mains power, maybe this will do the trick. If it happens even once more I will buy new. 17 inch would suit me fine, as where the monitor is on the desk, my eyes are only about 14 or 15 inches away from the screen, and anything any larger could cause eye strain. Any tips on a decent 17 inch model??? I don't want spekers built in, and don't play online game. I just go in for general use and digital phography. I don't really need absolutely top of the range, just a good solid decent buy.

Are you not happy with the make you have?

It is playing up after only three years, not a good advert. Another factor is that the first on was faulty and had to be replaced after three weeks. They wanted to send a refurbished replacement. I had quite a fight to get a factory packed NEW model, and had to threaten County court action. Again, this was not a good advert.

Thanks folks. I did pay over £200 for this 15 inch at the time, and prices are much lower now. I have pressed the on off switch very firmly several time this morning before switching on mains power, maybe this will do the trick. If it happens even once more I will buy new. 17 inch would suit me fine, as where the monitor is on the desk, my eyes are only about 14 or 15 inches away from the screen, and anything any larger could cause eye strain. Any tips on a decent 17 inch model??? I don't want spekers built in, and don't play online game. I just go in for general use and digital phography. I don't really need absolutely top of the range, just a good solid decent buy.

I have been very pleased with my LG Flatron L1730P I bought about 18 months ago. It has the nice feature of being able to swivel the monitor screen into portrait mode when typing documents etc. It comes with the necessary software to pivot the screen image into the required orientation.

I don't know whether this model is still current - if not there is bound to be an LG equivalent.

I much prefer a TFT, and also it sits better on my desk. It seems from the posts that as with most things there are good experiences and bad. I will see how this one goes, but if it has to be replaced it will be with a TFT.