Foxit - a free alternative to Adobe Reader.

dagwoood

Very good little application - I've used it for about 6 months (trouble free).

BTW - they have an unusual way of naming their updated builds ?

e.g. Foxit PDF Reader 1.3.0104 ..... means v 1.3 build month 01 day 04 - year not included

Until I realised this, I thought I was getting an older version as an update when the month moved from 12 to 01 at end of 2005 :rolleyes:

Adobe Reader has some little "extras" that Foxit doesn't. These can be important occasionally (eg Patent Office website) but for most uses, Foxit is more than adequate.

I have one machine with the Adobe software on it the others have Foxit.

Updated : Foxit Reader 1.3 Build 1413 Released

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/foxitreader/foxitreader.zip

About the build number

We plan to roll out version 2.0 in the near future.

And those month+day build numbers will be reserved for this 2.0 version.

Therefore, we keep increasing the build number for the version 1.3 by adding 1200 on top of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to add, this is a wonderful program. I have been using it for several months now and have ditched Adobe Reader completely. It was much too bulky for my liking, and Foxit loads in mere seconds, where as Adobe Reader would take nearly a minute.

If you just want to view and print PDF files, Foxit is for you.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Also, compare:

Foxit @ 2.1MB (exe installer)

vs

Adobe Reader @ 22.3MB (exe installer) + 40-50MB of updates after the installation.

If you want an even more lightweight PDF tool ? .......... try this

Sumatra PDF is a slim, free, open-source PDF viewer for Windows.

Minimalistic design.

It's small and starts up very fast.

Designed for portable use:

- just one file with no external dependencies

- so you can easily run it from external USB drive

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sometimes I get sent documents in .pdf format which I'm asked to comment on. At the moment I only have Adobe Reader which doesn't allow editing. The full editing version is horrendously expensive. At the moment I get round this by extracting the text into Word & send the text plus comments back in Word, but it takes a lot of work because .pdf text doesn't fit seemlessly into Word.

So I'm looking for something that will allow me to make some comments on .pdf documents and send them back to the sender. It looks like Foxit might allow me to do this. Also someone has mentioned PDF-XChange Viewer. Any advice from anyone would be welcome & a solution would save me a lot of time.

I am not the one recommending it - I just provide update information. I am perfectly happy with Adobe Reader,

Thanks for providing the update info Pat :flowers:

However, the fact that you do this service, implies to me that you are recommending the program.

It seems that is NOT the case, and I now feel misguided by that.

I had always supposed by telling us about updates in general, you were in fact suggesting we use/try such programs.

I shall remember that in future ;)

I tend to agree with what D4V!d writes. You give lots of helpful advice Pat Willener & most of us value it highly. Therefore when you post information about an update to a programme I always assumed that you were indirectly recommending it. After all, providers of these utilities are quite capable of telling their users of updates themselves. Thanks for all your hard work anyway. :flowers:

I have used every version of Foxit Reader for over 2 years - no problems :)

I also put it on every PC I am asked to build/delouse/sort out ......... rather than the resource-hungry Adobe Reader, and have never had any adverse feedback from anyone about it.

It gets my endorsement :D

I am not the one recommending it - I just provide update information. I am perfectly happy with Adobe Reader,

Thanks for providing the update info Pat :flowers:

However, the fact that you do this service, implies to me that you are recommending the program.

It seems that is NOT the case, and I now feel misguided by that.

I had always supposed by telling us about updates in general, you were in fact suggesting we use/try such programs.

I shall remember that in future ;)

I think I have to explain...

I do not not recommend the software. I do not use it, but I know that a number of forum regulars use it, and like it (and recommend it). It is therefore when an update comes to my attention, I will make it known here.

I would not, of course, publish any update information on symantec and other malware. B)

• 5 months later...

Disclaimer 2: I hear that Foxit 3.0 now contains the much dreaded Ask toolbar (spyware); see this post in the Foxit forum http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/...post23348

It appears that they offer 3 different downloads

• an EXE file installer
  • a ZIP file without an installer
  • an MSI file installer

The ZIP file apparently does not contain the toolbar.

• 2 years later...

Foxit Reader 5.1.0.1021 released.

Download: http://www.foxitsoft...roducts/reader/

Disclaimer: I am not using, promoting, or recommending this software - I am merely providing the information that an update is available.

P.S. see also this previous post regarding dubious software offered during installation.