Windows Defender (Beta 2): MS AntiSpyware - Renamed

Chris

Windows Defender (Beta 2) is a free program that helps you stay productive by protecting your computer against pop-ups, slow performance and security threats caused by spyware and other potentially unwanted software.

More | Here

Note:

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta):

Windows Defender (Beta 2) is the final name for Microsoft’s antispyware solution. Current Windows AntiSpyware (Beta 1) customers will be notified automatically to upgrade.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Interface.

Tried it and the first scan didn't like my SpySweeper Hosts file ! Don't know why ? :unsure:

Not (at first sight) as easy to use as the previous version ??? - more "automated" processes. But you can configure things.

I downloaded it but it will not update the definitions...........I keep getting an error message.

Anyone else having this problem?

NO. Maybe the download is corrupt. Why not uninstall and run RegScrub XP, and crap cleaner, and try again? Did you by chance download the 64 bit program?

Beats me too. I just installed it without any problems and it up-dated and ran perfectly. I must say, however, that the previous version NEVER found anything untoward when it did it's daily scan, even though S & D and/or Asquared running afterwards did pick up the odd bit of spyware.

Nevertheless, I'll give this one a go.

Thos.

You could try to post your problem at microsoft.private.security.spyware.install or microsoft.private.security.spyware.general. I have searched both groups, but there is no mention of a 0x80004002 error.

Password info on above newsgroups, as well as web-based posting is here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...ps/default.mspx

I have now removed the program, I was worried. As the scan neared the end of scanning C drive, and just before switching to D drive, the computer started to make horrible grinding noises.

My automatic scan worked OK.

The grinding sounds more like a hardware than a software problem.

Thos. :(