Windows Defender (Beta 2): MS AntiSpyware - Renamed

Chris

Windows Defender has been updated today. For the first time since its release the update contains not only a definition update, but also an engine update. The current versions are now

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1303.0

Signature Version: 1.14.1353.2

It has not been announced what the new engine contains, but I suspect that it may fix the update problems that so many users experienced.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows Defender has been updated today. For the first time since its release the update contains not only a definition update, but also an engine update. The current versions are now

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Signature Version: 1.14.1353.2

It has not been announced what the new engine contains, but I suspect that it may fix the update problems that so many users experienced.

Thanks, Pat. I have updated and have had no trouble from the start.

Thos.

Yes and it said I needed an up-date! so I up-dated and guess what Microsoft said up-date successful but the up-date did not show in add remove programs and the Defender version is the same as before.

Tried several times and each time got the up-date successful Window from Microsoft but Defender still shows the build at 15/3/06 IE 1535.

I decided to uninstall, clean up and reinstall and up-date but only resulted in Jan 2006 build 1.0.0.0 being installed.

Add remove still does not show the patch installed but Microsoft says it was successful :angry:

Any ideas or should I uninstall and wait for the full release version :D

Tried once more total uninstall registry clean and also used Windows install clean up.

Re-install and started program (still showing defs for jan) let it scan and he presto auto update with the 1353.2 definations :)

Bit of a bother updating :angry: unless its me :(

• 3 weeks later...
Windows Defender (Beta 2) Refresh - build 1347 has just been released.
    This release includes many bug fixes and enhancements including:
  • The option to always display the Windows Defender icon in the taskbar notification area. This is one of the biggest customer feedback issues we have received so we are implementing this request.
  • Definition update delivery improvements. We have also included changes to help address the major concerns that customers had around staying up to date with definition updates.
  • SpyNet data collection improvements - allowing Microsoft to produce more effective definitions to help combat malware,
  • Definition quality improvements - with every release, Microsoft enhances the quality of our definitions ensuring that descriptions, advice, category, alert level, and recommended actions are up to date to provide
    better protection.
  • Text improvements in the UI and localization and globalization fixes to support Japanese and German releases.

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1347.0

Definition Version: 1.14.1396.12

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a4-f7f14e605a0d

I might try it again when the final version is available. I just didn't like the way it produced horrible grinding noises when it switched from scanning drive C to scanning drive D. None of the other scanning programs do this.

Downloaded and installed the latest version.

However - I see no icon in my taskbar notification area which leaves me unsure whether it is working OK.

I have looked at the options available in the home screen - but there is no general settings option under tools.

See screen shot of help menu

I don't want any additional icons in my systray, so I haven't tried it. But these are the instructions:

• Start WD > Menu Tools > Options
  • "Choose when the Windows Defender icon..........." (Real-time protection options)
  • "Only if ...." or "Always"

Another thing I've seen mentioned that installing the new version of WD will reset all options, including the SpyNet membership level and the scheduled scan times. It has to be set again in the Options panel.

I don't want any additional icons in my systray, so I haven't tried it. But these are the instructions:
  • Start WD > Menu Tools > Options
  • "Choose when the Windows Defender icon..........." (Real-time protection options)
  • "Only if ...." or "Always"

Another thing I've seen mentioned that installing the new version of WD will reset all options, including the SpyNet membership level and the scheduled scan times. It has to be set again in the Options panel.

Thanks Pat - it's now OK.

I might try it again when the final version is available. I just didn't like the way it produced horrible grinding noises when it switched from scanning drive C to scanning drive D. None of the other scanning programs do this.

I actually read that claim about "horrible grinding noises" quite a number of times in the WD newsgroups. I believe the "solution" was only to use Quick Scan.

I actually read that claim about "horrible grinding noises" quite a number of times in the WD newsgroups. I believe the "solution" was only to use Quick Scan.

I'll wait until they put it right. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Have they cured the horrible grinding noises when the scan switches drives?

Mine switches drives silently, iv'e not come upon any references to this problems on the forums I visit.

Could andsomes problem be a one off ?

I decided to give it another try, and it still makes grinding noises when switching the scan from drive C to D. I haven't even informed Microsoft. I have yet to work out how to contact them about anything. Does anyone know if they have made any comments regarding this problem, if it is indeed widespread?

Hi guys I had a huge download so far this month and my total allowed is 250 MB - so had a look and on 27.4 it was 59mb so had a look at downloads folder as I do put evrything in there then scan for virus etc before opening being new and very nervous.

Anyway nothing so came on here and then caught up with this thread - so had a look at my defender and low and behold it was updated to a new version on 27.4 so that is part of the big download plus a driver Ive still got somewer and it maybe not what I need - another thread - Pat is helping me on.

Anyway

My version now is

1.1.1372.0 engine

1.14.1410.10 version built on 27.4.06 at 4.33am

Mine is set to scan daily at 3PM and does so, quite quiet but can hear it, hasnt altered settings with download, and I checked for updates manually and it is up to date there, so as I get more than 1 monthly from Microsoft on auto - must gt definitions with those too.

No problems with it to date.

I run adaware, spybot s & d,spyware blaster, and spyguard, which never has updated by the way since I installed it months ago always says up to date. I update them once a week and run scans. Ada ware is the one that seems to find things that others dont. Defender so far has not found anything and no reports on its history.It is set to get rid of stuff mind so maybe does it silently and I dont know :unsure: