Windows Defender (Beta 2): MS AntiSpyware - Renamed

Chris

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you find a link to that? It is no longer available on the MS site.

On this page http://members.home.nl/eltjo.huizenga/Micr...AntiSpyware.htm there are several links where the installer can still be downloaded. But beware that the beta will expire sometime in June or July.

Regarding Windows Defender, Windows 2000 users must install GDI+ before installing W.D. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915052. Make sure that the DLL extracts into the WINNT\System32 folder - see below.

[Edit] Actually, the redist.txt file has the following to say

===========

Gdiplus.dll

===========

For Windows XP use the system-supplied gdiplus.dll. Do not install a new gdiplus.dll over the system-supplied version (it will fail due to Windows File Protection).

For Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98, install gdiplus.dll into the private directory of the application not into the system directory.

In addition to the rights granted in Section 1 of the Agreement ("Agreement"), with respect to gdiplus.dll for Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98, you have the following non-exclusive, royalty free rights subject to the Distribution Requirements detailed in Section 1 of the Agreement:

(1) You may distribute gdiplus.dll solely for use with Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98.

However, GDI+ must be installed before W.D. will install, and therefore the W.D. home folder will not exist yet. I have - on my Win2K laptop at home - installed it into System32, but I will move it to the Windows Defender folder later today.

My copy failed an auto install of Definition Update 1.13.1276.3 for BETA Windows Defender (KB892519).

I got an error message saying something like insert disc%1 into drive 5%. Not a good start :(

Found the solution for this in the antispyware newsgroup:

Remove the current signature file. To do so, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type the following line (copy and paste if you wish), and then click Ok.
    Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

2. Open Windows Defender.
  3. Check for new definitions. To do this, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates.

[Edit] According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915105, this procedure may help with other WD update problems.

I am having no problems either.

But, always unsure that I am doing things right, I wonder if something is passing me by.

Under settings, I have checked the box asking for definitions to be up-dated before each daily scan and I am assuming that this is being done, whether Microsoft or Windows is not subject to intervention by be.

Thos.

I download Defender too. It didnt uninstall antispyware and it was corrupted.

I took out the old beata one via Program uninstall.

then tried Defener - still corrupted.

So took that out too.

donwloaded new version, working I think, had an incon on the tray , but now it is gone, it says it is scanning, but mainly what I want to know - is this

How do I know it is scanning? When I turn on and it says it has done it. Does it do it whilst the machine is turned off?

Right now not sure I'll even keep it as a bit of a mystery.

It will scan once after the initial installation, then in regular intervals as you specify in the scheduler. I think the default is every night at 02:00.

And no, it will not scan when the computer is turned off :P

(But it will after the next startup if it missed a scan).

According to this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915087, there is again a new version of Windows Defender available, and it should fix the 1609 error. The build version is still the same, though. I don't know why they don't update the build version...?

DW report it to MS.

NEW!! BETA Build...

Date Published: 2/20/2006

I think

According to this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915087, there is again a new version of Windows Defender available, and it should fix the 1609 error. The build version is still the same, though. I don't know why they don't update the build version...?

:huh:

I still can't understand why just as the scan reached the end of Disc C and switched to Disc D, the computer started to make horrible grinding noises, and flickered between C an D. Adaware, Spybot S & D , Nod 32, Spy defence and A squared all scan with NO bother at all.

Mine is on its 5th try to install up date 1.13.1282.6 (KB915597). Each time I have selected install and get a message saying install successful (after an install time of 2 seconds?). I have clicked on up date from the program and get a message "Up to date"? Here we go notification number 6 has arrived! :(