Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Brandon_

CCleaner

I use Defender. Whatever A/V I use is nothing to do with them and they have a bloody cheek trying to inflict their stuff on to me.

I do not run a third party av. In CC I clicked on Check for updates, no Avast splash. I was taken to piriform. Mind you I have disabled the nag to update, so my click was not from the popup reminder. Since the virus I am comfortable with running one version behind for example I am still on Free 5.37.6309 64bit.

D4\/!d I didn't have any problem with 5.37, the avast! thing only started up on the latest update 5.38 so if you are like us on Defender check your splash screen when you next update. If I'm right and I suspect I am you'll get the avast option on it and it comes preset to install unless you override it.

8 minutes ago, -pops- said:

have a bloody cheek trying to inflict their stuff on to me.

True, I have no real issues with them offering it as an option, but setting install as the default, Not Good :xmad:

I thought I would upgrade to ver 5.38.

I sometimes use File Hippo, their link offered me this screen, note the tick box bottom left.

2017-12-14_225503.jpg

Sorry I cannot reduce image size (no handles).

Anyway I then went direct to the piriwhatnot site, I often do that. Their Install box looks the same with a Yes box already ticked. Grrhh.

btw I would have chosen the Customise option under the blue Install button, I typically do select the Customise option with any software.

I am still on 5.37 ftb.

It would be nice if customize gave you control of the avast! install, but it doesn't it's just the same as it always was and if as I did you click customise without reading the splash screen you see nothing, assume all is as normal then wonder what the hell has gone wrong as the popups appear telling you your security has been deactivated. 

v5.40.6411 (13 Feb 2018)

Browser Cleaning 
- Edge: Added new 'Set aside tabs' cleaning rule 

Windows Cleaning 
- Added warning for 'Old prefetch data' cleaning rule 

General 
- Minor improvements to user interface 
- Minor bug fixes

v5.41.6446 (13 Mar 2018)

UI
- NEW! Cleaning results now displayed as a Cleaning Summary (Free and Professional versions only)
- NEW! Product tips to help users discover less visible features
- NEW! Fresh, clean Upgrade page design

Browser Cleaning
- Edge/Internet Explorer: Fixed cleaning of cookie and icon file types on Windows 10 (thanks alhazred & Judesman for reporting this via our forum!)

Localization
- Added improved Estonian translations (thanks to our volunteer translator ProPaan!)

Technology
- Added support for Sciter: a lightweight, embeddable HTML/CSS/script engine for modern UI development

If updating manually - make sure you don't install Avast Free A/V

On 13/03/2018 at 5:48 PM, Boris said:

v5.41.6446 (13 Mar 2018)

If updating manually - make sure you don't install Avast Free A/V

Thanks for the reminder

v5.42.6495 (23 Apr 2018)

Browser Cleaning 
- Internet Explorer: Fixed a bug where cleaning Temporary Internet Files left some files behind 
- IE/Edge: Enhanced cleaning of YouTube viewing history (thanks alhazred!) 

Cookies 
- Search terms are now highlighted in the results list 

General 
- Where appropriate, CCleaner Free may recommend improvements to your system’s antivirus protection 

Installer 
- Fixed an issue where localized text was overlapping in the Professional Edition installer

Take care and look before you install. I was offered Chrome, so unticked the install box.

I use CCleaner Professional and when an update is available I get an automatic pop up containing the link to update it. Via this route it has never yet brought with it any other software.

@Geriatic Teenager

I also use update from C Cleaner and also on that no other pups offered.  This is a bit of a nuisance as many do it for the profit. Seeing as 21st Century is dedicated to Greed is Good - Gordon Gecko has much to answer for :censored2:

@Hansom I today am setting up Chrome - as can now close off the "spying" and I use Mask Me - have done for 15 years for passwords and Firefox Quantum wont allow it nor other so called legacy things like IDM also paid life sub and used it for years fast downloads and reliable etc so Chrome take both.  And yes I know can so to Blur but bad enough setting up Chrome.

When our once not a favourite of mine PM Malcolm Fraser now popped his clogs said "Life wasn't meant to be easy"  I reckon he put the kybosh on all of us in the west. :sign_groan:

v5.42.6499 (16 May 2018)

IMPORTANT FIX FOR CHROME 

Browser Cleaning 
- Fixed a critical issue where very long float values were saved in scientific format, causing the Chrome profile to be lost 
- Fixed a critical issue where systems using non-standard decimal separators caused data to be stored incorrectly, causing the Chrome profile to be lost