Power Defragmenter

Scarecrow Man

I'm sure this is already posted under Freeware, but I think this is an essential bit of software.

Fragmentation can lower the life span of your hard drive, as well as make your programs slow to a crawl.

Defragmentation should be done daily, and this programs helps you do that.

Power Defragmenter is a GUI (Graphic User Interface) application for program Contig by Sysinternals.

Contig is a very powerful defragmentation application designed for Windows NT/2000/XP operating systems.

Please take a few minutes and check Sysinternals webpage for other cool programs.

Contig created by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell.

You can download latest standalone Sysinternals Contig application here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Contig.html

Contig is the command line interface. The GUI uses a simple to navigate user interface which will guide you through, but still uses the same great contig software.

http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/ - Power Defragmenter GUI 2.0.110

Well my brother was not too pleased with me this morning, as I run Linux I tried it out on his computer, and when he switched on this morning his USB floppy & card reader were not showing up in my computer so he did a system restore to before the defragmenter was installed and his USB drives are back again.

Whether it was a coincidence I cannot say, but I am in the Doghouse. :wub:

Just as an aside it seemed to do the job well and you can also defragment induvidual files & folders as well as drives.

Alan: The GUI is just the selection screen. It launches contig.exe (from sysinternals) which is a dos based program.

Andsome: I used Diskeeper a while back, probably version 7 or so, and I found it quite handy. I liked the auto defrag feature.

I find this program to be just as good. It cannot be run on a schedule, and it does not run automatically, but the options are wonderful. It can defragment a file, a folder, or a disk. If you select the folder option, you can defragment up to 4 disks at once.

Thos: Yes. It has often been said the windows defragment tool does not actually move files. While this may be true, I am sure it has to be doing something to take so long. In windows 98, the defragment would often freeze or restart due to read/write on the disk. This was frustrating, and it seems XP has fixed that, but I would still not trust the built in defrag.

I think the contig program written by Sysinternals is absolutley wonderful, and this GUI just makes it easier for users to manage it. Instead of a command line (what you get with contig alone) you can now visually select your options. A++ in my books ;)

Thos: Yes. It has often been said the windows defragment tool does not actually move files. While this may be true, I am sure it has to be doing something to take so long. In windows 98, the defragment would often freeze or restart due to read/write on the disk. This was frustrating, and it seems XP has fixed that, but I would still not trust the built in defrag.

I think the contig program written by Sysinternals is absolutley wonderful, and this GUI just makes it easier for users to manage it. Instead of a command line (what you get with contig alone) you can now visually select your options. A++ in my books ;)

Thanks. Yes, I had that trouble with Win98 but have no trouble now. I defrag once a week or so, and it competes the job speedily. I have no reason to think it hasn't moved the files.

Thos.

An extremely useful thing about the FULL version of Diskeeper is the Boot Time defrag facility. The computer really flies afterwards.

The boot-time option allows for

• Defragmenting the folders file
  • Defragmenting the Master File Table
  • Defragmenting the Page File

It does make a noticeable difference.

An extremely useful thing about the FULL version of Diskeeper is the Boot Time defrag facility. The computer really flies afterwards.

The boot-time option allows for

• Defragmenting the folders file
  • Defragmenting the Master File Table
  • Defragmenting the Page File

It does make a noticeable difference.

I always choose to run it with a three stage checkdisk option enabled to run first. Kills two birds with one stone. I hope that people don't find this too cruel. :D :D