Running old software ?

Filehippo.com Update Checker v1.009 (Beta)

The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to filehippo.com to see if there are any newer releases. These are then neatly displayed in your browser for you to download.

Details & download: http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Prerequisite: Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0

I'm one of those (perhaps old fashioned) people who believes in the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So many times I have seen perfectly reasonable working setups totally ruined by unnecessary tinkering and updating of them.

It's OK, of course, if your raison d'etre of using a computer is tinkering about with it but I always feel that these Updaters and suchlike should come with a warning that "Using this program can damage the health of your computer".

I'm one of those (perhaps old fashioned) people who believes in the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So many times I have seen perfectly reasonable working setups totally ruined by unnecessary tinkering and updating of them.

It's OK, of course, if your raison d'etre of using a computer is tinkering about with it but I always feel that these Updaters and suchlike should come with a warning that "Using this program can damage the health of your computer".

I've learned a few lesson. Only recently I tried a program recommended by Pat, and had to install my Acronis backup to finally get rid of it.

I've learned a few lesson. Only recently I tried a program recommended by Pat, and had to install my Acronis backup to finally get rid of it.

Ok, this one does not install - you download it, and run it directly from the download location. When you want to get rid of it, you just delete it.

I found some horribly old software on my system; no security threads (http://secunia.com/software_inspector/ would have taken care of these), but just old, outdated software that needed to be upgraded or uninstalled.

I just hate to sit on stale software... B)

Ok, this one does not install - you download it, and run it directly from the download location. When you want to get rid of it, you just delete it.

I found some horribly old software on my system; no security threads (http://secunia.com/software_inspector/ would have taken care of these), but just old, outdated software that needed to be upgraded or uninstalled.

I just hate to sit on stale software... B)

Took you at your word and ran it. It does what it says on the tin. I followed all the guidelines for updates except Windows Messenger, which I do not use and have no intention of using. A useful program, THANKS. :D

Windows Messenger was also one of the programs it found "old" (5.1). Which I also don't use, and therefore uninstalled it (Add/Remove Programs; Add/Remove Windows Components). However, UDC still detects it, and it is still present in C:\Program Files\Messenger. So I just deleted it, ran CCleaner 'Issues' to find all entries related to that folder, and removed them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stupid!

I ran the update checker to see if I am fully up-to-date, and it found that my RealPlayer 10.5.12.1578 could be upgraded to the newest version 10.5.12.1741. OK, downloaded and installed it. At the end of the install it went automatically to check if any updates were available. Yes, it said that a security update 10.5.12.1750 was available, so I clicked 'update'.

It downloaded the "update" and let it install. When it completed I checked the version: it was back to the old version 10.5.12.1578!

Stupid! :angry:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, it's a good way to find programs that you don't want on your computer.

The new version of the UpdateChecker resides in the systray (Notification Area), and gives you an info balloon if it detects outdated software. (The old version you actually had to run to find it). Don't forget, this software goes after all installed software (that it knows of); Secunia Software Inspector only goes after missing security updates.

I tried to download this three times, each subsequently uninstalled. :(

The message I received when I tred to run it on each installation is....

Update Checker Error

An error occurred while parsing EntityName Line 1, position 677.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Anyone else received it?

Filehippo.com Update Checker v1.020 BETA

Changes

Version 1.020 adds system tray icon checking in the background. (Simply run the new installer or use the "/background" command-line parameter.)

Additionally you can now ignore updates and programs that you don't want to be informed about!

N.B. This newest version of the update check no longer runs from the download location, but it needs to be installed, as any other program. It will install into Program Files\filehippo.com\UpdateChecker.exe; it will also provide Program Files\filehippo.com\Uninstall.exe

Thanks Pat, it's very quick and efficient. It shows an old version of Windows messenger Live. I NEVER use this program, and have removed it in Add/Remove programs/Add/Remove Windows components. Can I eliminate this dreaded messenger once and for all? :D

Any answers to the above please? :D

I just did a File Hippo check expecting it to tell me that there was a later version of File Hippo - but it didn't.

I find that rather strange.

How then - without the advice of Pat W - are we supposed to find out.......... :unsure:

Does one have to point to the bleedin' obvious? ;)

Update Checker Error

Anyone else received it?

Your error message may be related to the Microsoft .NET Framework. I believe filehippo Update Checker requires it. Visit Windows Update and make sure you are up to date.

Update Checker Error

Anyone else received it?

Your error message may be related to the Microsoft .NET Framework. I believe filehippo Update Checker requires it. Visit Windows Update and make sure you are up to date.

Many thanks for you response, IMTNT. :D

For some strange reason, when I tried today, it worked! :unsure:

• 2 months later...
It shows an old version of Windows messenger Live. I NEVER use this program, and have removed it in Add/Remove programs/Add/Remove Windows components. Can I eliminate this dreaded messenger once and for all? :D

Did you get this sorted andsome? There's actually 2 similarly named but separate sevices: Windows Messenger Service & Windows Instant Messenger.

The 2nd one is removed from Add/Remove Windows Components (as you describe).

The 1st one has to be disabled from Administrative Tools: open Control Panel> Performance & Maintenance> Administrative Tools> click Services, then scroll down the list to find Messenger. Right click on it to get the Services pane. If its running click on Stop, then either Manual or Disable to suite your choice. It's this 1st one (Windows Messenger Service) that can be used by advertisers to add pop-ups to your computer (unless Microsoft have fixed it by now). But it's only used to send messages if you are part of a network, so for most home users is not needed.

• 4 weeks later...
It shows an old version of Windows messenger Live. I NEVER use this program, and have removed it in Add/Remove programs/Add/Remove Windows components. Can I eliminate this dreaded messenger once and for all? :D

Did you get this sorted andsome? There's actually 2 similarly named but separate sevices: Windows Messenger Service & Windows Instant Messenger.

The 2nd one is removed from Add/Remove Windows Components (as you describe).

The 1st one has to be disabled from Administrative Tools: open Control Panel> Performance & Maintenance> Administrative Tools> click Services, then scroll down the list to find Messenger. Right click on it to get the Services pane. If its running click on Stop, then either Manual or Disable to suite your choice. It's this 1st one (Windows Messenger Service) that can be used by advertisers to add pop-ups to your computer (unless Microsoft have fixed it by now). But it's only used to send messages if you are part of a network, so for most home users is not needed.

It is disabled but I still get the message that it needs updating. It is causing no problem however, and I just ignore it. :D

• 6 months later...

Filehippo.com Update Checker v1.030 BETA

Changes: see list at the bottom of the download page.

This version was released at the beginning of January 2009; sorry for the delay. Interesting, though, that the Update Checker does not announce updates to itself! :blink: