Gordon Brown to confront MPs over tax rebellion

Story

Appearing before a meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party tomorrow, Mr Brown and his deputy Harriet Harman will set out plans for the forthcoming local elections and warn MPs that unless halted the tax rebellion may harm their chances at the polls on May 1st

So Gordon Brown is more concerned about doing well in the local elections than the injustice of over-taxing the poorest workers in our society :angry:

I hope that Labour do badly in the forthcoming local elections and the general election in 2 years time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curly, did you see that bit on 'Have I Got News For You' which said......One housewife discovered that there is something worse than opening the door to Jehovah's Witnesses......and it showed Gordon and Harriet grinning at her on the doorstep! :lol:

No I didn't see it but it sounds hilarious :lol:

Every time I see Gobbler Gordon it makes me realise that his time and place have passed. He should have been stood on the Kremlin balcony alongside Bulganin, Khrushchev. and co,. watching a May Day parade. He has the sort of face that would fit under a fur hat beautifully and a body that would look at its best in a thick navy blue great coat and his demeanour cries out "Komrade".

They are totally incapable of government. Did they honestly expect the poorest workers to welcome paying more tax? :angry:

Yes of course they did. I am afraid you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

We poor people should be grateful for the opportunity to pay more tax so that the fat cat non-doms. can avoid paying any, whilst ensuring that the trough continues to overflows.

Look at it this way. If the employed and pensioned poor stopped paying tax where would all the money come from to keep the fat cat greedy bankers from going bust and enabling Cyclops to employ 10,000 special advisors.

El Gordo is not one of the country's better Prime Ministers, is he?

Be thankful that he didn't get into power when he first wanted to - about two weeks into Teflon Tony's reign

Which ever way you look at it, I think Labour has had their day. First Blair, then Brown the next letter in the alphabet is C. Could that be Cameron perhaps? Could anybody make the cock-ups that Labour have made any faster than labour has made them in. The Conservatives are bound to make cock-ups but over a longer period.

Which ever way you look at it, I think Labour has had their day. First Blair, then Brown the next letter in the alphabet is C. Could that be Cameron perhaps? Could anybody make the cock-ups that Labour have made any faster than labour has made them in. The Conservatives are bound to make cock-ups but over a longer period.

It has long been my belief that those going into politics are quite definitely suffering from serious mental illness.

The way in which the country has been mismanaged over the last 10 years (and beyond) is living proof of this. Not only do "those in charge" make an absolute shambles of everything they try to do, they also expect we who are financing all there perk, scams and nepotisms to believe their lies and excuses about their failures, whilst at the same time they are preparing more of the same.

Only someone with a mental age of an infant could possibly expect to get away with it. Yet they do expect to get away with it and expect not to be found out and held to account.

The Mental Health Act was designed to put such people where they belong for the good of the community. It is odd that those who drafted the Act could not see their own reflection, But then again, is that not like an infant?

I agree that Labour (under Brown) have made one blunder after another in contrast to Blairs era :huh:

Another reason why I believe that Labour have had it's day is the damage caused by the abolition of the 10p tax rate and the publics perception that they are no longer for the average working class family and are 'out of touch'.

I agree that Labour (under Brown) have made one blunder after another in contrast to Blairs era :huh:

Another reason why I believe that Labour have had it's day is the damage caused by the abolition of the 10p tax rate and the publics perception that they are no longer for the average working class family and are 'out of touch'.

Are you serious? Before Brown he was the worst in living memory. I know I know, you are going to say what about Maggie. She had an awful lot to put right when she first came to power, and did a first class job for a time. Then she got too big for her boots and became the petty dictator who B'liar followed and imitated to excellent effect. As Catgate said, they all follow the same path eventually.

Are you serious? Before Brown he was the worst in living memory. I know I know, you are going to say what about Maggie. She had an awful lot to put right when she first came to power, and did a first class job for a time. Then she got too big for her boots and became the petty dictator who B'liar followed and imitated to excellent effect..

Yes I'm serious!

As far as I'm concerned, Blairs mistake was taking us into the Iraq war and this cost him his premiership as people never forgave him although he was really pushed out as Brown wanted to be leader and look how he's messed it up :rolleyes:

Out of the two men, I think that Blair is by far the better PM (I can't stand either of them by the way)

Brown has made 2 massive fiscal errors namely the 75p rise for pensioners and the scrapping of the 10p tax rate making the lowest paid workers worse off (I'm one of them) :angry:

I think that the 10p tax rate will be Browns 'undoing' and a similar thing happened with Thatcher and the hated poll tax.

I know you can't stand Blair (I can't either) but you can't ignore the fact that Brown's popularity has fallen higher than any PM since records began and he's managed to turn the Labour party into a political 'underdog' since taking over the reins less than a year ago.

This is in contrast to Blair who helped Labour win 3 consecutive general elections.

I disagree with Maggie and the Tories being a viable alternative as the old Tory party caused a lot of damage to ths country with 3 million unemployed, sky high inflation and sky high interest rates of 15% and record repossesions as people couldn't afford to pay their mortgages.

The Tory party under Cameron hasn't really changed and they are just opportunists as they are rightly attacking the government over the abolition of the 10p tax band but probably have no intention of restoring it if they won power.

Also the Tories voted against the national minimum wage so they are nothing but hypocrites.

As Catgate said, they all follow the same path eventually.

Agreed which is why I am going to vote Liberal for the first time ever as it might be a refreshing change (I've never voted Tory and never will)

I like the Liberals fairer tax policies with the only downside as far as I'm concerned is closer ties to Europe.

Even though Brown has backed down and done a U-turn on the 10p tax rate, it is still being scrapped but the people who lose out are to be compensated by tax credits (which adds more bureaucracy to an already complicated tax system) and possibly increasing the national minimum wage (which would pass the costs on to the employers).

Even with the above happening, it will be many months before it makes any difference to peoples pay packets, pensions, etc.

I know the amounts that we are talking about here are relatively small but it's the principle of taxing the poor more to subsidise the rich that I can't stomach and this perception that Labour has changed it's morals will be very difficult to repair before the next general election in only 2 years time.

Are you serious? Before Brown he was the worst in living memory. I know I know, you are going to say what about Maggie. She had an awful lot to put right when she first came to power, and did a first class job for a time. Then she got too big for her boots and became the petty dictator who B'liar followed and imitated to excellent effect..

Yes I'm serious!

As far as I'm concerned, Blairs mistake was taking us into the Iraq war and this cost him his premiership as people never forgave him although he was really pushed out as Brown wanted to be leader and look how he's messed it up :rolleyes:

Out of the two men, I think that Blair is by far the better PM (I can't stand either of them by the way)

Brown has made 2 massive fiscal errors namely the 75p rise for pensioners and the scrapping of the 10p tax rate making the lowest paid workers worse off (I'm one of them) :angry:

I think that the 10p tax rate will be Browns 'undoing' and a similar thing happened with Thatcher and the hated poll tax.

I know you can't stand Blair (I can't either) but you can't ignore the fact that Brown's popularity has fallen higher than any PM since records began and he's managed to turn the Labour party into a political 'underdog' since taking over the reins less than a year ago.

This is in contrast to Blair who helped Labour win 3 consecutive general elections.

I disagree with Maggie and the Tories being a viable alternative as the old Tory party caused a lot of damage to ths country with 3 million unemployed, sky high inflation and sky high interest rates of 15% and record repossesions as people couldn't afford to pay their mortgages.

The Tory party under Cameron hasn't really changed and they are just opportunists as they are rightly attacking the government over the abolition of the 10p tax band but probably have no intention of restoring it if they won power.

Also the Tories voted against the national minimum wage so they are nothing but hypocrites.

As Catgate said, they all follow the same path eventually.

Agreed which is why I am going to vote Liberal for the first time ever as it might be a refreshing change (I've never voted Tory and never will)

I like the Liberals fairer tax policies with the only downside as far as I'm concerned is closer ties to Europe.

NO WAY THANKS. Europe has caused far too much trouble for us already, and the Lib dems won't be happy until we are 100% in that gravy train club. :angry:

NO WAY THANKS. Europe has caused far too much trouble for us already, and the Lib dems won't be happy until we are 100% in that gravy train club. :angry:

We're already in too far as it is as we have signed away our ability to make some decisions affecting our borders - there's no going back now.

What could happen in the next general election is that we have a 'hung parliament' with no single party having overall control like what has happened in the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.

Perhaps this may not be such a bad outcome as then the parties would have to co-operate more!