AVG FREE anti-virus, anti-spyware & anti-rootkit

Dencandy

According to various blogs I've looked at, AVG will no longer provide updates for the FREE versions of their pre-v.8 anti-virus software, nor for the FREE versions of AVG AntiSpyware & AVG Anti-RootKit after the end of April 2008. A browse through their site seems to confirm this.

Version 8 of AVG Free Anti-virus incorporates all three functions into 1 application. However, if like me, you've tried it and found it intrusive, difficult to configure, buggy and impossible to configure for manual updates, or you don't want all three levels of protection from one company, you will need alternatives.

Leaving aside the paid software, free, well-established, tried & tested alternatives include:

Free Anti-virus software: AntiVir (Avira) & Avast.

Free Anti-spyware: Spyware Terminator, Windows Defender, SuperAntiSpyWare, Spybot Search & Destroy.

All the above give various types of real-time protection.

Free Anti-root kit & system protection software: WinPatrol, Threatfire, Blacklight, Ice Sword, Windows Defender.

Windows One Care also gives protection against spyware, adware & other malware.

You will need to search for the downloads yourself. Since some of these apps are also distributed by rogue software sites, you are advised to use a website checker, like McAfee SiteAdvisor, in your browser before downloading.

Others on this forum will no doubt be able to add to these lists.

I have been using AVG v8 for some time which installed without any problems on my Vista 32 computer. I found it easy to configure - it runs satisfactorily and I am happy with it auto updating. For me the combination of anti virus and anti malware is an advantage.

Perhaps it is better behaved with Vista than with other systems................... :rolleyes:

I have the mixed version and am having no problems, I used to have AVG AntiSpyware anyway. you can run more than one anyhow. I tried SuperAntiSpyWare once and it was trying to remove parts of some of my software so I would advise anyone to be careful.

My AVG 8.0 is also working just fine now.

It appeared to take a little while to sort itself out, in terms of the email element, but now all is great.

I have a daily scan scheduled and it has been very thorough. I am extremely pleased with it. :D

According to an official sticky I've just seen at the AVG Free forum, the final date for AVG Free 7.5 updates is 31st December 2008 (rather than 31st May 2008) :)

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,123812,backpage=,sv=

Latest information is that AVG Anti-Spyware Free updates will also continue until 31 December 2008.

I have the mixed version and am having no problems, I used to have AVG AntiSpyware anyway. you can run more than one anyhow. I tried SuperAntiSpyWare once and it was trying to remove parts of some of my software so I would advise anyone to be careful.

I have used SUPERANTiSpyware for longer that I care to remember with no problems whatsoever. :D

Latest information is that AVG Anti-Spyware Free updates will also continue until 31 December 2008.

Well that's good news, Boris, as I still have it on this laptop. Hopefully that'll now give AVG more time to sort out the bugs in v.8 and make it a bit more flexible. I agree it's a very fast and competent anti-virus, but it was a real headache when I tried to install the latest version on my desktop machine. Where I live, & because of my schedule, I can't rely on automatic updates for anything and v.8 seemed to have no way to opt-out of it.

Also, I'm wary of putting all my eggs in one basket for 3 levels of protection like this. Although I can see some advantages in doing so, I prefer the flexibility of mixing-and-matching different applications, making it easier to change one if it begins to fall behind in performance.

Dencandy, my AVG 8.0 is working well now, including the email part. :)

You can disable any part if you so desire.

I personally have only the Link Scanner disabled, because I use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Pages were taking too long to load because of both running, so I stopped the AVG element.

I am very impressed with its' performace as a whole.

Is that a Beta SP1 after only 2 weeks of v.8? This is getting interesting. After I updated AVG Free AntiSpyware this morning I noticed it was greyed out in the system tray. When I opened the menu I noticed that real-time protection was no longer available, only on-demand scanning (on my Free version). Having become very successful and with a good reputation I suspect that AVG is planning on eventually ditching the free versions altogether and going over to only paid software.

Obviously this is their right, they are a business after all. Well, let's see what happens...

Meanwhile, if I want free real-time spyware protection I'll need to either accept v.8 or look for something else.

I've just been browsing the a-Squared Users forum & other fora on the topic of AVG 8 (paid for and free versions). A long list of complaints about problems for people with Vista, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, even McAfee Site Advisor. So I think I'll stay with AntiVir (even though it definitely has a slowing effect) at least till AVG get this one sorted. :flowers:

I am a little new to this so please excuse any silly remarks i make! I installed AVG8.0 approx one week ago i had been using the other free version.

It installed ok, and updated every day, and every day at 8:30 did a total scan.

The results of the scan were visable in the scan results.

Yesterday it did not update or do a scan.

I contacted avg, but no help as it's free.

Have tried to get into the AVG forum, but you have to registar, by goig into the AVG system, and I cant find this icon on version 8.0

Help please, why has it stopped doing a daily scan?

Have they realised i got the wrong version?

johnoo, I presume you've checked your AVG settings and schedules, etc to check these updates have been correctly set.

The AVG Forum seems to be run by CastleCops and is available here. If you go to the Login page you will see a link at the bottom about registering. You can also browse the forum without being a member.

I'm not sure what you mean by "got the wrong version", please explain. (Don't worry about making "silly remarks" - feel free to ask any question you like).

johnoo, I presume you've checked your AVG settings and schedules, etc to check these updates have been correctly set.

The AVG Forum seems to be run by CastleCops and is available here. If you go to the Login page you will see a link at the bottom about registering. You can also browse the forum without being a member.

I'm not sure what you mean by "got the wrong version", please explain. (Don't worry about making "silly remarks" - feel free to ask any question you like).

Dencandy,

If I go into the Update icon, and select Auto update at a specific time the system does not accept the inputs do you think there is a problem?

You ask what do I mean by wrong version, I wonder whether the AVG people have changed the system at thier end to stop daily scans on the free version.

Can anybody advise do you get daily scans on your free version of 8.0?

Can anybody advise do you get daily scans on your free version of 8.0?

Hello johnoo :D

Yes my AVG 8.0 Free does a sceduled scan each morning.

Access to the settings are in Tools - Advanced Settings.

johnoo, please follow Irene's advice on this one (or advice from anyone else who has AVG v.8). I had problems configuring it for manual updates and in the end gave up trying, uninstalled it and went over to Antivir (another free, very effective anti-virus app). So I can't give any detailed advice about how it works. Others have had no problems, however. Good luck. :flowers:

johnoo, please follow Irene's advice on this one (or advice from anyone else who has AVG v.8). I had problems configuring it for manual updates and in the end gave up trying, uninstalled it and went over to Antivir (another free, very effective anti-virus app). So I can't give any detailed advice about how it works. Others have had no problems, however. Good luck. :flowers:

Oh dear! Thinks are not going well, Irene,could you help.

1 I went into Tools-- Advanced Setting.

Selected Update- and selected "update at next Computer Start"- it did not do this. i have now changed this back to "update immediatly" and carried out a manual update.

Question, any idea why it did not update?

2 In Advanced settings can't find anything related to "Daily Scans"

Question, where should I look?

3 If I click on the "Update Manager" Icon and select either "Start Auot Update" &/or "At a specific time interval" both of these are deleted if I relook later.

Question do you know why?

4 5 Should I reinstall?

5 If I reinstall should I uninstall before doing this?

6 Does it matter that daily scans are not taking place? Is AVG still working "in the background" to give protection?

Sorry to be long winded, any help will ease my mind

Lets just take things one (or two) at a time.

Just ensure that you check each box as shown. You can of course change the time, if you wish. :D

Here are my settings for the scheduled (daily) scan...

Here are my settings for the scheduled (daily) update...

Let us know how you get on.

I don't use this program myself so cannot offer any advice as to its use. However, if you decide to reinstall, whatever you do, download a fresh edition to a folder first. Then uninstall and reinstall from the folder. DO NOT under any circumstances uninstall first and then go online to download a fresh program in an unprotected state. :D

Lets just take things one (or two) at a time.

Just ensure that you check each box as shown. You can of course change the time, if you wish. :D

Here are my settings for the scheduled (daily) scan...

Here are my settings for the scheduled (daily) update...

Let us know how you get on.

Irene,

Thanks for your reply, but something is very strange.

I have not got anything like your "Agenda" within Advanced Tools, when I click on Schedules i just get a message "Select schedule you want to edit from branch on left" there is no +sign and nothing about "Scheduled scan"

I also do not get a message "program update schedule"

Looking at the left of the main AVG screen it says my version is 8.0.100 is this the same version as yours?

Any help would be kind, I may not reply pronto as I will be out of action for a few days, and dont want to mess with the settings till I have a lot of time.

again thanks and any other input will help

Looking at the left of the main AVG screen it says my version is 8.0.100 is this the same version as yours?

No, mine is version 8.0.93

I responded to an email, telling me that I 'qualified' for an upgrade from 7.5 :unsure:

I certainly haven't paid for it and I don't intend to.

How did you come by yours?

No, mine is version 8.0.93

I responded to an email, telling me that I 'qualified' for an upgrade from 7.5 :unsure:

I certainly haven't paid for it and I don't intend to.

How did you come by yours?

So we have differant versions, thats how confusion starts!

i got a message that 7.5 or something like that was not being suported after 31/05/08, and i should download 8.0

It looks as if there is more than one version!

When i used 7.5 i just did scans weekly, and was under the impression that AVG works in the background, and will trap and trojans Etc.

Do you know if this is a correct assumption?

I am not going to change anything till i get back from holidays but then i think I will reinstall.

If you think I should do something else please advise

Does AVG work to stop Viruses and Trojans without doing scans?