Forum link problems

Dencandy

Today (9.30am local time, 9th July) is the first time I've been able to access the forum since Monday 6th - except for a short period of about 30 mins on the 7th. Thought it might be something to do with a major systems hack in Korea or a server fire somewhere in Europe. Anyone else encountered problems?

No problems with me but I did see a news item yesterday about N Korea knocking out Internet access in a number of parts of Asia - directed at South Korea and China but spreading into a number of other countries.

Something to do with the "Dear Leader's" father's birthday or some such rubbish and demonstrating their power over the world, together with their recent missile launches and nuclear weapons tests.

I had similar problems with other websites this week; it turned out that I got an incorrect IP address from a local domain name server. (No problems with this forum, though.)

The IP address for this forum is 174.37.206.104 (for windowsforum.org, www.windowsforum.org, and forums.windowsforum.org).

You can check the IP address of a URI from a command prompt

nslookup www.windowsforum.org

I think there's summat up with WF. Over the last few days I have sometimes not been able to get in/on, but after retrying a few second later I have got through. Then other times I have had a screen telling me it was unavailable.....but after few moments I could connect. Like Dencandy I have no trouble with other sites.

Stop press

After writing the above I pressed "preview post", and up came a PM that I had sent earlier this morning!!!

On the odd occasion when I click to ADD REPLY, everything hangs until I click it again, then the forum closes. When I connect to it again, my post has been added OK. This has only happened VERY rarely. As with the others, NO PROBLEMS elsewhere. :D

I think the problems date back to an upgrade or something like a week or two ago, as since then I quite often either can't get my link to load up and have to reload or keep clicking an eventually it will load, also sometimes if i leave the computer for an hour or so come back to it and do a refresh it will not load the forum until I have tried a few times, I have changed the cookie to see if it would help

I think the problems date back to an upgrade or something like a week or two ago, as since then I quite often either can't get my link to load up and have to reload or keep clicking an eventually it will load, also sometimes if i leave the computer for an hour or so come back to it and do a refresh it will not load the forum until I have tried a few times, I have changed the cookie to see if it would help

I just love chocolate chip cookies. :D

A sure recipe for getting fat. A regular cookie contains about 52 calories - you need to fast walk for 7 minutes to burn that amount.

You need to move your cookie jar to a place about 300 yards from the house and fast walk there to collect only one biscuit at a time in order to burn off the calories you are consuming.

It will give your neighbours something to talk about.................. :lol:

A sure recipe for getting fat. A regular cookie contains about 52 calories - you need to fast walk for 7 minutes to burn that amount.

You need to move your cookie jar to a place about 300 yards from the house and fast walk there to collect only one biscuit at a time in order to burn off the calories you are consuming.

It will give your neighbours something to talk about.................. :lol:

It's worth it. :lol:

P.S. The forum is like well greased lightning this morning. Has someone taken a spanner to it?

Korean hacking - knock on problems?

I had some very strange computer problems yesterday (13th july).

First IE8 kept crashing. I uninstalled it & reverted back to IE7. Same thing started happening. So I uninstalled that & reverted back to IE6. I downloaded a driver update, but I when I tried to run it a message came up that the file was corrupt. I deleted it & started again, but got the same result.

Then I had lunch.

When I restarted the computer I noticed some tool bars were missing on Internet Explorer, so I decided to try a system restore... Anyway things like this went on for the rest of the afternoon with even Firefox repeatedly crashing and any updates or program downloads failing to install). IE worked, but with only the Links & Address toolbars present.

Last night I thought this meant XP had become so corrupt that I'd have to re-install it.

BUT when I started up this morning, everything was fine.

My conclusion is that the local server(s) here in Sri Lanka (or somewhere else along the line) were affected by the Korean problems & were probably restricting all downloads to prevent the infection spreading.

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

Someone should drop an atom bomb on them. :lol: :lol:

Let's not be hasty. According to THIS ACCOUNT from The Guardian the hack may have originated from the UK. It might turn out to be some spotty youth from Barnoldswick who started it. (Forgive me all spotty youths from Barnoldswick - I'm just using you as an example).

. It might turn out to be some spotty youth from Barnoldswick who started it. (Forgive me all spotty youths from Barnoldswick - I'm just using you as an example).

My two brothers-in-law were spotty youths in Barnoldswick. They have, over the years, lost their spots. One became a lawyer the other a buider. Both are now domiciled "off shore". But the bomb referred to might do some good, if you could find them.

Someone should drop an atom bomb on them. :lol: :lol:

Let's not be hasty. According to THIS ACCOUNT from The Guardian the hack may have originated from the UK. It might turn out to be some spotty youth from Barnoldswick who started it. (Forgive me all spotty youths from Barnoldswick - I'm just using you as an example).

They were probably just looking for evidence of UFO's on the internet.

A proper response would be to treat them as terrorists and have them extradited.

Korean hacking - knock on problems?

I had some very strange computer problems yesterday (13th july).

First IE8 kept crashing. I uninstalled it & reverted back to IE7. Same thing started happening. So I uninstalled that & reverted back to IE6. I downloaded a driver update, but I when I tried to run it a message came up that the file was corrupt. I deleted it & started again, but got the same result.

Then I had lunch.

When I restarted the computer I noticed some tool bars were missing on Internet Explorer, so I decided to try a system restore... Anyway things like this went on for the rest of the afternoon with even Firefox repeatedly crashing and any updates or program downloads failing to install). IE worked, but with only the Links & Address toolbars present.

Last night I thought this meant XP had become so corrupt that I'd have to re-install it.

BUT when I started up this morning, everything was fine.

My conclusion is that the local server(s) here in Sri Lanka (or somewhere else along the line) were affected by the Korean problems & were probably restricting all downloads to prevent the infection spreading.

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

I turns out I was completely wrong about the causes of these problems. :paperbag1: I decided to test my RAM & turns out there's large areas of faulty memory there. It's a 1GB Kingston product and is fortunately still under warranty. So off to the computer shop this morning to replace it.

So, no need to bomb North Korea or Barnoldswick after all (at least, not for the above reasons).