Chromium OS released

Hb_Kai

For those of you who didn't see my thread asking whether anyone had heard about the release of Chrome OS or who did not see the post made by Belatucadrus saying that it had been.

I just found this on the BBC website. So it looks like it has been released but will only work on solid state hard drives.

BBC News | Technology | Chrome OS released

Obviously, it's still in its early development stages but, what's the point of it?

No desktop applications. Just a web browser.

Your documents will be stored on Google's servers.

What if you have no internet for a couple of days because your ISP is doing one of them "upgrading the lines" things they do or for whatever reason.

And more importantly, will those using a limited bandwidth have to get a less-restricted package from their ISP to be able to use this operating system? I know it's not downloading as such but in some degrees, is just like streaming videos from Youtube.

So far, the only good that I can see this operating system is bringing to anyone is that it's capable of booting in seven seconds.

Anyone else agree?

I expected more from Google... Is this their Vista period, only faster?

I'm with you on this.

Google isn't the only one looking at cloud computing, Sun (Java & OpenOffice) are very active in this field.

What I don't like in particular is that all of my data would be there on Google's or Sun's server ready to be poked around in by anyone who might want to (rogue employees, government agencies etc.) for any nefarious purpose you can imagine.

OK, I appreciate that information on any computer is not sacrosanct but this seems to me to make it several steps easier to acquire.

With the current UK government's reputation for prying into everyone's private affairs together with their record of the apparent absence of security measures in dealing with computer data it's a definite No No from me.

I was looking forward to seeing the next best thing from Google next year. :(

I'm more interested in finding out if this would benefit for the people using a limited bandwidth though.

I may post a review of it once it has been downloaded if anyone is interested?

I think Chrome has an offline mode as well. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of having their docs stored on Google's servers. Most people have their emails store on some server somewhere , they don't seem to mind.

The way I see it, quite a lot of people just use the computer for stuff that can be done with a browser : IM, web browsing, listening to music, viewing (and simple editing of) pictures etc. These people often have a difficulty understanding the concept of application , or file location.

Example (this happens quite a lot) - my friend gets an email with a word doc, he opens it ,edits it and then can't find it (tip - it's in the browser's temp folder) . Worse, my friend can't even describe the problem, for him a document was just there on the screen and now it's not. Obviously people on this board don't have these kind of difficulties , but I know quite a lot of (intelligent) people that do. Chrome attempts to get rip of the application concept and the location concept. Everything can be done through the browser, nothing ever needs to be installed (some people find installing very difficult, even mysterious) . Done properly this can help more people take advantage of the internet. I think Google are on to something here.

Yes, only time will tell. As computers become more and more popular, there'll be more and more owners who don't want to be bothered learning a little bit about how to make the most effective use of them, how to maintain them, etc. If the Google Chrome OS concept catches on Microsoft will have to move fast to stay up with the new competition.

Yes, only time will tell. As computers become more and more popular, there'll be more and more owners who don't want to be bothered learning a little bit about how to make the most effective use of them, how to maintain them, etc. If the Google Chrome OS concept catches on Microsoft will have to move fast to stay up with the new competition.

Wasn't Microsoft researching into a project like this called Midori?

the idea of internet-based computing still seems strange to me.

- - and to me. I was just making the point the Google are far from having a monopoly on this idea when Mr Sun has had cloud computing around for many months.

Sun Open Cloud Platform to Power Public and Private Clouds

This could be mistaken for "Birt speak", otherwise know as "crap" or "drivel".

The purpose of language, as I understand it, is to convey information. The only way this can be understood is if you already know what is being talked about.....then there is no point in saying it. There seems to be a couple of omissions... "Client" and "Server".

It seems to me that the Personal Computer is heading towards a Public Computer and the end product will be "Ve haf ze ways ov making you compute".

It was a very sad day when Gates decided he wanted to be Master of the Universe.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since I don't use chrome, I have no recollection of the post referred to, other than that I glanced at it and had no further interest. As regards all these so called aps, again I have no interest. I have a cheap mobile phone which does nicely for phone calls when I am out and for texts. I have better things to do than spend hours on end playing games etc on a phone, and have no intention of keeping up with such things, which to me personally seem childish. You can be needlessly aggressive with some of your posts, and obviously are extremely self opinionated. I am quite happy to be left behind in this race to spend money on childish pastimes.

Since I don't use chrome, I have no recollection of the post referred to, other than that I glanced at it and had no further interest. As regards all these so called aps, again I have no interest. I have a cheap mobile phone which does nicely for phone calls when I am out and for texts. I have better things to do than spend hours on end playing games etc on a phone, and have no intention of keeping up with such things, which to me personally seem childish. You can be needlessly aggressive with some of your posts, and obviously are extremely self opinionated. I am quite happy to be left behind in this race to spend money on childish pastimes.

Who you talking to?

Who you talking to?

Maneman of course.

Android is amongst the next generation of computing platforms.

Chrome OS is not the same as the Google "Chrome Browser"

Without the "Apps" (Applications) the Android operating system would be next to useless. They are the same as the apps that we use on our present operating systems. (You consider Acronis Childish ?)

"I have better things to do than spend hours on end playing games etc on a phone"

Me too. The guys post had nothing to do with playing games on a phone, but about the implications for software developers working on the Android platform.

You have gone off on a tangent and completely misunderstood what the original post was all about.
/>http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=47421

Then to make matters worse you told the guy it was all Chinese to you. :blink:

Andsome Said: You can be needlessly aggressive with some of your posts.

Yeah, but it's only cos' I'm taking the medication, and I haven't stabbed anyone since my release.

C'mon, a man has got to have some sort of release valve. :blink:

and obviously are extremely self opinionated

Spot on ! -

-Wazzup !? - You dont enjoy a bit of rivalry in the self opinionated arena ? ;)

I would have thought by now you would have known that I am just a "Wind up Merchant" andsome. :)

I would however just like to say:

IMSORRYiHURTYOURFEELINGS.jpg