For Those Who Think MACs Are Immune Fom Malware

Mac's are pretty immune to a Virus attack as there are only one or two known to exist in the wild. When you download a programme from the web it is downloaded as an .dmg file. (Disc image file). It has to have your permission to open then run. It is next to impossible for a Virus writer to plant anything detrimental into a DMG file. That is one of the main reasons that Mac's are a lot safer from a Virus than a Windows machine is. These people that have downloaded Macdefender have asked for trouble. An anti-virus program on a Mac is not necessary.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gandalph,

I have a 27" iMac also and just love it to bits. But I have been very unkind to my iMac and have been guilty of opening attachments from dodgy emails my Brother sends me.

So now I have the dreaded About:Blank adware on my system and what I have read on the net it is very hard to remove from your computer.

I have always run Bit-defender as a anti-virus program but that will be getting the sack soon as it let the adware through.

As a option I was thinking maybe a Norton anti-virus program will help.

All my Brother's emails are now filtered to the Trash Folder and deleted asap.

Cheers

Stick with Linux, then there are no worries about Viruses, if you do let one on through running as root then it will only destroy the program that loads it so just uninstall and reinstall that program and away you go again, no antispyware or malware protection needed or defragging the hard drive.