What do you think of the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update ?

Boris

Just upgraded mine on my old laptop - noticed some changes.

Classic Shell didn't work, so I had to re-install it.

Windows Defender shows in the taskbar as a shield rather than a castle.

Anyone else running it yet ?

WinVer 1607 (14393.0).JPG

Yes. Updated manually today. Like you Iost my start menu x. Bit annoyed as it was free pro version. Turned off as much rubbish as I could. Haven't found any improvements yet. Thought Edge might be better but I can create a favourite folder but I can't put anything init or even rename it. The key board won't put letters in it just doesn't respond.

We both know that most "normal" users just don't bother with backups - System Restore is both their belt and braces.

If M$ have changed their concepts to Windows Backup being your safety tool - why have they still left System Restore in the latest build ?

Downloaded mine this morning. Usual load of crap. Can't really see any differences with it although I haven't looked that deep into it. I just put it on my Laptop and I keep it as a spare in case anything goes wrong with the iMac. I noticed though, it still doesn't play DVD's. :laugh:

My new computer was delivered with Windows 10 installed, I ordered it with the operating system only as I usually do. To date I am slowly getting used to it but much preferred Windows 7.  If something ain't broke why fix it?  It is no where near as intuitive as Windows 7, and I am constantly having to search for things.  It does not remember all my log ins even though I request it, I always have to log in here for the first time each day.  It remembers for the rest of the day. I don't like the forced updates.  Yesterday mine updated in Windows update.  When I restarted the computer I had a message that updates hadn't been completed.  There was another long download and then the whole thing was repeated.  This happened three time before I put a stop to it.  I have put my Acronis back up in now and hope it is sorted. Bring back seven.  Microsoft are only interested in making us pay for rubbish so called improvements that we don't need.

I'm waiting to be told that it is available to install, but I also thought that this was a automatic process.

Am I wrong?

Also what is "Classic Shell"?

How long did it take to install?

Is anybody aware of the "Edge" Favourites problem (losing them) fixed?

51 minutes ago, johnoo said:

I'm waiting to be told that it is available to install, but I also thought that this was a automatic process.

Am I wrong?

I don't use edge, I much prefer IE.

59 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Am I wrong?

The "normal" install is a 3.25GB download (for 64bit Win 10, 32bit is a tad smaller).

The install  time depends on the speed of your processor/RAM

What is Classic Shell ? - read this :- http://www.infoworld.com/article/2972763/microsoft-windows/windows-10-start-menus-start10-vs-classic-shell.html

I don' use Edge either :smile:

46 minutes ago, Boris said:

The "normal" install is a 3.25GB download (for 64bit Win 10, 32bit is a tad smaller).

What is Classic Shell ? - read this :- http://www.infoworld.com/article/2972763/microsoft-windows/windows-10-start-menus-start10-vs-classic-shell.html

Thanks interesting article re Classic Shell

As to installation, how long did yours take?

This is my Processor/RAM data:-

Intel® Core™ i3-3220 processor running at 3.30GHz, and 4GB of RAM , could you estimate a time?

I think the original Win 10 installation was in the region of 40 Gb's

Thanks for the help

8 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Intel® Core™ i3-3220 processor running at 3.30GHz, and 4GB of RAM , could you estimate a time?

No idea - I haven't done an automatic install which is what you were referring to ?  Your download speed is in the hands of the M$ servers.

I manually installed mine, as I have a load of machines to do.  I downloaded the 64bit and 32bit iso s overnight while fast asleep, burnt them to DVD when I got up, and then set the setup process off and went out until lunchtime. It was finished when I got back.

7 hours ago, Boris said:

Thanks Boris.  I have installed Classic Shell, and within a few minutes decided that I like it better than Microsoft's effort.

I updated the neighbours computer this morning and it went without a hitch.

So I thought I would do the wifes laptop, big mistake, it would not download the anniversary edition, so I used edge to get the download and it checked the laptop was powerful enough to accept the update, downloaded it and stated to install.

As soon as the install started it came up with an error 0x080070057 and asked me to try again and guess what the same error occurred again.

On looking at that error online it seems quite common with this anniversary update,  and these days I cannot be bothered with altering the registry to make something work so I will wait till it downloads it automatically.

• 7 months later...