Staffordshire Oatcakes - continuation of the theme...

Irene

Staffordshire Oatcakes

image.png

• Prep Time: 1 hr
  • Total Time: 1 hr 6 mins
  • Serves: 3-6, Yield: 6.0 large oatcakes

Ingredients

• 150 g fine oatmeal
    • 150 g wholemeal flour
    • 300 ml milk
    • 300 ml water
    • 7 g sachet quick-rising yeast
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • salt

Directions

1.    Pour the milk and water in a saucepan and warm gently on the hob.  This is just to create good conditions for the yeast when the batter is mixed so, as always, keep it below 30°C.

2.    Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix together before starting to whisk in all of the warm milk and water.  I was looking to get a reasonably thin batter and 600ml did the trick on this occasion.  Of course, add less or more milk and water as the situation dictates.  Once the batter is mixed, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm room for about an hour, allowing the yeast to make the batter nice and bubbly.

3.    When it’s ready, give the batter a gentle stir, smear a little butter or oil on a hot, non-stick skillet and add enough of the batter to thinly coat the bottom.  Cook on one side until golden (about 3 minutes) and gently flip over and cook the other side for another couple of minutes.

4.    Note: As oatcakes contain less flour, and wholemeal flour at that, they contain less gluten and will be more prone to tear.  I’m guessing this is why people bulk them up with plain flour, but it’s by no means a problem, it just means a gentler hand is required.  No vigorous skillet-shaking.

Bacon, Cheshire cheese and plum tomatoes with Staffordshire Oatcakes.  Absolutely yummy.

I remember as a child, my father taking me on Sunday morning, to collect the oatcakes from our relatively local shop.  We would wait whilst they were cooked.  

Not long ago, I tried the recipe above.  I even ground the oats!  They were scrumptious.  

The oatcakes which you can buy in a supermarket bear no resemblance whatsoever.   :wink: 

:blush: I've never made my own, just from the local oatcake shop.

But they are filling aren't they! Can't eat too many of them.

Irene .. I bet the fellas would struggle to stay decent if we asked them what they thought this meant.

A saggarmakers bottom knocker.

11 hours ago, morty said:

Irene .. I bet the fellas would struggle to stay decent if we asked them what they thought this meant.

A saggarmakers bottom knocker.

:rofl:   They struggle to stay decent most of the time!   :laugh: