What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Today is Chateaubriand. I was very careful yesterday about which bits of the beef fillet I cut for the impromptu eating with the intention of keeping the centre part of the meat for today. It weighs about 600g.

I like my steak bleu so a quick brown on all sides, 15 minutes in a VERY hot oven and it's done (apart from a 15-minute rest).

Serving it with a modified Béarnaise sauce which I think of as a variation of Hollandaise sauce containing tarragon. I dislike tarragon so I'm doing a hollandaise containing parsley instead.

Accompaniments are thin sliced chips, grilled tomatoes and watercress salad.

Yesterday was Lamb chops, roast spuds, sprouts a bit of Romanesque and the last of the red cabbage.

Today will be pizza, chips and a side salad. 

We had Chateaubriand on Christmas day, mum not being over enthused about Turkey.

The last of the Chateaubriand got thinly sliced and put in a panini with some horseradish, then warmed up nicely in the Panini press, nice lunchtime snack.

3 hours ago, andsome said:

I do need my meat cooking for a bit longer than that. Each to his/her own of course.

I will eat good quality beef completely uncooked as I often used to do when I lived in France. Steak tartare is something that gourmet dreams are made of. I don't say that I'm a gourmet, just someone who enjoys food - simple and well prepared.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

I will eat good quality beef completely uncooked as I often used to do when I lived in France. Steak tartare is something that gourmet dreams are made of. I don't say that I'm a gourmet, just someone who enjoys food - simple and well prepared.

I chould never eat any animal content uncooked. Especially if it’s alive like oysters

I am feeling a bit rough at the moment. I have had a man cold as ‘Er indoors calls it. It is rapidly developing into a chest infection as my colds usually do, being an ex smoker. I am hoping that ‘Er indoors will make me a simple sarney. I will of course have my usual glass of red,followed by a large Bristol cream.

:5a1dcfd5910f7_rednose:

1 hour ago, andsome said:

I am feeling a bit rough at the moment. I have had a man cold as ‘Er indoors calls it. It is rapidly developing into a chest infection as my colds usually do, being an ex smoker. I am hoping that ‘Er indoors will make me a simple sarney. I will of course have my usual glass of red,followed by a large Bristol cream.

:5a1dcfd5910f7_rednose:

Look after yourself, Keith. Remember feed a cold & starve a fever.

We have a good supply of food in the freezer,but neither of us has an appetite. No fresh veg for home made soup so we had canned chicken soup last night, and had to force that down with a couple of slices of bread. I spent last night in an arm chair and still coughed for most of the time. We have taken some pork steaks out of the freezer but don’t fancy a full blown meal I reckon a steak each with a few frozen peas will be more than enough. I haven’t felt this rough for ages. I hope we can manage the steaks. Er indoors had it first and is a lot better now.

Got a "thing" about smoked fish ATM so we're having smoked haddock fishcakes topped with a poached egg and served with sautéd spinach.

The fishcakes are simplicity itself and made from two large (ish) potatoes, microwaved whole until soft then peeled and mashed. Cooking the spuds this way prevents them absorbing large quantities of water which they tend to do when boiled. The smoked haddock fillets about 200 - 250g are microwaved in a plastic bag which has had a few holes made in it to prevent an explosion. These only take a minute or so. The fillets are cooled slightly and skinned & boned. They are them roughly flaked and added to the potato together with any juice that has collected. Add pepper to suit - probably won't need salt and a small amount of butter and mix. Do not overmix, I like them with quite large pieces of fish. Form into patties, roll in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry in a small amount of butter to brown. The same frying pan can be used to sauté the spinach. Just lift out the fishcakes, add a knob of butter if necessary, then the cleaned spinach and sauté. It only takes a few seconds. Do not add any extra water.