What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

I tried that Patak's Butter Chicken sauce a few months ago. Very nice! I bought another jar.

Getting some fish today. Don't know what, yet. Will report back later.

28 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Didn't go to the shops (for the fish) yesterday so we had baked potatoes with canned tuna & mayonnaise.

Today will be fresh fish - to be decided.

We alway keep some wet fish in the freezer, ready to thaw and cook when required. It freezes very well.

Yes, we have fish in the freezer but by the time we'd decided not to go out, it was a bit late to allow the fish we had to thaw out naturally - and I dislike the so-called accelerated thawing that a microwave does - that's always patchy with areas of cooked and areas of still frozen. Not an attractive prospect.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

Yes, we have fish in the freezer but by the time we'd decided not to go out, it was a bit late to allow the fish we had to thaw out naturally - and I dislike the so-called accelerated thawing that a microwave does - that's always patchy with areas of cooked and areas of still frozen. Not an attractive prospect.

I would never thaw fish in a microwave either

Yesterday was haddock in a cheese, parsley and onion sauce with new potatoes and sugar snap peas.

Today is lamb leg "steaks" with sauté potatoes (leftovers from yesterday) and purple broccoli.

8 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Do you mean you eat that ghastly meat substitute?

Some Quorn stuff is quite reasonable.

You probably couldn't imagine living with a vegetarian, and then having an eldest daughter with a vegan family ! This explains why we rarely have Sunday lunch with them :whistling:.

At least my youngest and her family are carnivores  :goodjob:

I often have meat and fish free days but then it's full-blown vegetarian. I always feel there's something not quite right (and unnecessary) about disguising vegetables as meat (or fish).

I have no problem with people eating vegetarian ( apart from the flatulence ). What gets up my nose is that many of them are sanctimonious holier than thou toss pots who spend an inordinate amount of time sneering at then preaching to carnivores. Insisting that they are the morally superior being and that deep down we poor deluded meat chomping cro magnon boobs know it. That I have issues with.

The other goody is that if they visit you, you have to make special vegetarian dishes for them as they can't possibly eat your food. Do they reciprocate when you visit them, have they provided as much as a sausage or a burger for the guest that bent over backwards to cater to their foibles ? No chance, you have to eat their stuff, usually accompanied by a lecture on animal welfare, how healthy it is and how much happier you'll be after the change. I'd rather deal with the Mormons or Jehovas witnesses.

PS I've now got to the stage that if anybody else says "Meat is murder" my response will be two short Anglo Saxon words and unequivocally rude.

2 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

I have no problem with people eating vegetarian ( apart from the flatulence )..

I have always found them a trifle stringy - not much meat on them usually :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Boris said:

people eating vegetarian

That was eating Vegetarian food not Vegetarians per se although seeing as how the perishers have infiltrated your family I can understand the sentiment. From the phrasing of your post it would appear you've already tried them, what cooking method do you use ? Pot roast or stewed ?

Today is a Chinese - prawn chow mien - my own mixture of king prawns, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, spring onions, garlic, ginger, chilli, all in a packet chow mien sauce served with egg fried rice.