What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

I am having a medium rare sirloin steak with onion loaf, deep fried McCain straight cut Home Chips, a roasted garlic bulb and a side salad of Iceberg lettuce and sliced peppers.

Libby is having cold chicken left over from yesterday's dinner and a load of salad to comply with her Slimming World dietary advice. She has a bee in her bonnet about losing a few pounds and, like andsome, is devoted to the cause.

Cold mixed fish and a potato salad (cubed boiled new potatoes, finely chopped onion, chopped watercress, chopped cucumber and any other salad oddments that are lurking in the fridge. The mixed fish is fish pie mix, microwaved, cooled, a few prawns added and seasoned with an oil & vinegar dressing.

After shedding a stone in the last few weeks, I have no intention of going over the top. However, for our first night at Alverston Hall, I am indulging in a curry, with another pint of Hobgoblin 

Had a delicious salad with cooked meats last night, boiled ham and roast pork. Tonight I fancy a salad again, but with roast pork from the carvery, as last night I will follow it with ice cream.

Today it's a childhood favourite using the remains of yesterdays roast lamb. I don't know what it might be called but, I'm sure it's not unique to us.

It comprises all the edible remains of the meat, including skin (if any) and some fat and a large onion. These are minced together and formed into a paste with any remaining gravy - use lamb stock or water if it's too dry. season with salt and plenty of pepper. Spread into an ovenproof making a layer about half - three-quarters of an inch thick and bake until cooked and brown and crispy at the edges. Serve with vegetables of choice (we like tinned marrowfat peas and new potatoes), gravy and pickled onions (if liked). 

When I was young we made a special thin version that was cut into slices and made into sandwiches together with thinly sliced onion.