Web Site Format

johnoo

6 minutes ago, andsome said:

I am not sure exactly what you mes, I have visited the home page and cannot see it.

If I go to the "Home Page" is all I see are the Sub Heading areas to post into ie "Hardware Support & Discussion"

The content on the RHS of the page is missing. This used to give details of very recent posts.

3 minutes ago, andsome said:

Here is what I see on home page.

24op0tw.png

andsome, did you know that you can change the colour of the forum if you wish.  

Just above the 'Windows Forum .Org' in the red band at the top, there is what looks like a paint brush.  If you touch that, you can select any of the colours illustrated for the two options.

4 hours ago, Irene said:

andsome, did you know that you can change the colour of the forum if you wish.  

Just above the 'Windows Forum .Org' in the red band at the top, there is what looks like a paint brush.  If you touch that, you can select any of the colours illustrated for the two options.

Thanks for the tip,but I am happy with the colour,I just wish it would run faster. I am not all that up on computers science, but one or two things have occurred to me,but I may be barking up the wrong tree. I have only been back on the forum for a short time,but already have dozens of accumulated notifications,and can see no way to delete them. There are also several thousands of defunct accounts,not been used for several years. Maybe you can tell me whether deleting all the accumulated notifications,together with accounts which have not been used for a couple of years,would speed up loading. If I am wrong put it down to my ignorance.:hi:

4 hours ago, andsome said:

...I just wish it would run faster. :hi:

I have noticed that since popping in here over the past week or so the site has got progressively slower.

For example pressing Next Unread Topic takes an age to get to the page.

Even loading the site to get in is not as snappy as a site should be.

Run faster? I think it is more like a senior stroll.

Some free sites have to allow the forum host to show adverts to fund the site - in which case the server may well be faster because it is financially supported by advert revenue and attracts more business.

We are all here free of charge and the host probably has many free forums on their space-limited, low cost server which uses all the bandwidth available.  Hence it is slower.

It's just a guess mind.

We would all like a faster site - but I assume there is a cost involved. I am happy to accept what we have got - but I am retired and have time to spare.  Faster for me would be nice to have - but not essential if the alternative is adverts.

Thanks for that.

I will move WF to another browser where I have adblock plus.

Yes I know, I could add it to this one but I find it adversely impacts other browsing, don't ask.

PS the spell check doest work here.

I spelled adversely wrong but a right click didn't offer me the correct spelling. Ho hum.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, andsome said:

Thanks for the tip,but I am happy with the colour,I just wish it would run faster. I am not all that up on computers science, but one or two things have occurred to me,but I may be barking up the wrong tree. I have only been back on the forum for a short time,but already have dozens of accumulated notifications,and can see no way to delete them. There are also several thousands of defunct accounts,not been used for several years. Maybe you can tell me whether deleting all the accumulated notifications,together with accounts which have not been used for a couple of years,would speed up loading. If I am wrong put it down to my ignorance.:hi:

SIMM!